Ever heard of stringing it BEAD?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by 311 fan, Nov 11, 2000.

1. 311 fan

311 fan

Sep 24, 2000
    La Verne, CA
    Ive got a four string and plan to upgrade in a while. But all four strings are strung EADG. Thats fine with me. But Im not really attracted to 5 strings for their extra size and and they slow me down when i slap. Mawk from Hed PE strings his BEAD. Of course, he only plays really low notes. But would it be cool to string my guitar BEAD, and try it out for a while? Then later, I canget two good asses and string one EADG, and the other EADG. Thanx!
  2. consider how frequently you play your g-string.

Keep in mind, you can play all the practical notes on a bead that you can on an eadg by playing higher on the fret-board.
  3. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    There are several threads on this board about BEAD stringing. There's even a bass being sold at Sam Ash an Guitar Center (Schecter Scorpion?) that comes strung BEAD.

Search the board for "BEAD" and you'll find plenty of commentary including do-it-yourself advice.

4. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    I keep one of my basses strung BEAD all of the time. It IS becoming a popular alternative to five string basses. Give it a try...you just might like it...:)
  5. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    Dont you mean EADG and BEAD? And dude, why are you stringing a good ass? :eek: :D
  6. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    The only trick is that you will likely need to have the nut recut to accommodate the bigger strings, otherwise the BEAD strings will sit way too high in the slots. Definitely take that to an experienced guitar tech.

Have fun! And let us know what you decide to do, K?

7. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    The bassist from Type O Negative does that too..
  8. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    That guy scares he crap out of me. I bet hes a cannibal! :eek: :D
  9. 4stringsshiz

Jul 25, 2012
    Would you get problems if you removed the 5th string and went back to EADG after filling down the nut?
  10. CDRhom

CDRhom William Murderface's Bass Tech Gold Supporting Member

Feb 27, 2009
    Fort Worth, TX
    You would have to replace the nut to go back to the traditional tuning.

When I went to BEAD, I kept the original nut and cut a new one out of Corian for the heavier strings, since it's cheap and easy to get scrap and it's the material Gibson used for my bass nut anyway.
  11. twocargar

twocargar Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2008
    Manchester, NH
    I finally got around to doing this last week and I love it! About a month ago I bought a set of 5-string EB Regular Slinkys, and use the lowest 4. While I didn't file the nut with a file, I did move the strings back and forth a half dozen times in the nut so they fit more snugly.
  12. fourstringburn

Jun 30, 2009
    New Mexico
    I tried this years ago. The problem I had is that I couldn't seem to properly set the intonation on the bass and the bridge saddle for the B string was near the end of it's adjustment. Also, every B string I tried feels kinda wobbly like a wet noodle. Different basses should yield different results so I would say it is worth experimenting.

Like others have said, you will probably need to file the nut slot and bore out the bridge string guide for the larger string. Is this something you want to do to your beloved instrument?

An alternative could be to drop D and/or detune all strings.

There is also the electronic alternative. The Digitec Bass Whammy pedal for instance has a convincing sounding pitch shifting effect and you could have a virtual 5,6,string bass. You might want to explore this option as well...Good luck!
  13. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Guest

May 19, 2012
    Ever heard of stringing it BEAD?

3 names : Oliver Riedel (Rammstein), Paul Grey *R.I.P.* (Slipknot), Steve Harris (Iron Maiden)
  14. twocargar

twocargar Supporting Member

Nov 6, 2008
    Manchester, NH
    I didn't realize 'arry (Harris) did it. Which songs does he play in that tuning?
  15. Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    It's usually cheaper to just buy a 5 string set rather than singles, and there's always a leftover G string.
  16. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Gold Supporting Member

A)This is super common, we can all list players in BEAD

B)I don't think he needs your advice when he hasn't been on the site since 2001, hell he probably hasn't even played the bass for a number of years at this point.
  17. ChrisCassisi

Mar 24, 2011
    San Jose, CA
    Tone Bastards Cables
    I have been doing the B to D stringing for years on my 4 strings. I personally don't play 5 strings just 4 and 6. So its nice when I dont need the full range of my 6 but still need that low B. For playing metal its real nice because the neck on a 4 is a lot thinner and quicker than a 5 or 6.
  18. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Guest

May 19, 2012
    Holy crap! I didn't notice this thread is 12 years old :p :hyper:
  19. Thomas Kievit

Thomas Kievit Guest

May 19, 2012
    Not sure, but it most be quite some numbers since he already uses BEAD tuning since their earlie years..
  20. NoiseNinja

Feb 23, 2011
    Did (and also happened to be the lead singer)... R.I.P Peter Steele