Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ever heard of this bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by spur, Feb 7, 2006.

1. spur

spur

Jun 4, 2005
    sweden
    I'm looking for a fretless. I found this one used but what
    is it? I've never heard of the brand eagle. Does anyone know?
    The guy wants about 600$ for it. Does it seem reasonable?

Attached Files:

2. kelbrihan

kelbrihan Banned [Deceiving users with multiple usernames] Banned

Dec 2, 2004
    Here is what I found by Googling....
    THE NEW EAGLE BASS DESIGN
    Swedish design and Korean craftsmanship
    - an exceptionally good combination when it comes to basses.

The Eagle new bass line is not just a gimmick. The new design has many advantages except good looks.

Better sustain
    As the fibers in the wood goes all through the neck undistorted, and there is no cut in the weak joint to the head, like on older designs. Please observe that the top of the headstock is in the same layer as the top of the neck behind the fretboard. The fretboard is glued to the neck, not in one piece with the neck, all to avoid warp problems. The material of the neck and the fretboard is hard maple - we think this is the best tonal wood for bass necks.

The tuners are smaller than on conventional basses, as the heavy big tuners would take off some resonance from the strings - as on older designs...

The string is attached to the center of the headstock by the tuners. So the balance for the string vibrations is centered to the neck all the way through.

When you pick up and play a new Eagle Bass with this design, you will observe the unusual sustain and timbre even before you plug it in.

Strings through body design
    The strings through body design is a winner from vintage basses - why change something that has been approved by professional bass players for over 40 years?

The all mahogany body - not just good looking
    The mahogany body gives the sound the extra warmth and vibrating feel of top class instruments. And it looks good too - also in a darker finish. The factory is situated in the middle of the wood suppliers district Inchon, just south of Seoul in Korea, so choosing fine wood for the Eagle instruments is not so hard really.

Light but strong bridge for extra sustain and tone
    The new bridge looks very clean and simple, and it is. No adjustment screws for each strings height, just one screw on each side to adjust the height overall. This results in an exceptionally good attachment to the body - and more sustain, and exceptionally good tone.

3-band active EQ
    The active electronics on the Eagle A/B Basses makes them really All-round Basses. The 3-band EQ with Bass, Mid and Treble controls has center feel so you know the neutral center position. And volume, lots of volume, but nothing fancy. All the sounds you need for every type of bass playing.

The pickups
    Why try to change something good? Humbuckers can be dull but these new heavy duty humbuckers has all the attack of two single coils. And no hum. Great dynamics.

Balance
    Not just the physical balance that comes from the long horn. These basses are exceptionally light too - really easy to wear - and with the good balance you feel comfortable on stage - night after night.

Playability
    The ergonomics is right. The sound is right. The action can be adjusted to your preferences.
    Try one on!

3. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    That looks a LOT like a Brice bass from www.rondomusic.com - I'll bet they're made side by side in the same factory.

4. kelbrihan

Dec 2, 2004
    I think for $600 you could find something better. I would search Ebay.

5. Eilif

Eilif Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2001
    Chicago
    +1

There's alot available for 600. Check out used Carvin basses in that range. A much better bass for the buck.

6. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Even though that description implies that its got all kinds of very special stuff, there's nothing particularly interesting about its construction. All very typical stuff.

Play it and see how it feels and sounds.

$600 seems a little high for a korean built brand name that isn't even very widely known. If it feels pretty solid and plays well, I might try offering $400 for it and settle at $450 or so. No more than that.

If it feels really good but doesn't quite have the sound you're looking for I'd measure the pickups to see if they're the same size as typical soapbars (1.5" x 4" or 1.5" x 4.5" / 38mm x 100mm or 38mm x 115mm) so that you could easily swap them out for some EMGs, Bartolinis, Seymour Duncans, Nordstrands, Aeros, etc. As long as they're not an odd size you've got plenty of options out there to dial in what you want to hear. Top quality pickups and a good preamp will run around $300, cheaper if you can buy them used, so if you buy it for $450 and upgrade the electronics you'd be in it for less than $800.

It could be a decent deal, but I wouldn't buy it without first thoroughly checking it out in person.

7. kelbrihan

Dec 2, 2004
    Are you looking for a 4,5 or 6?

8. kovachian

kovachian

Nov 5, 2005
  9. I can't help but agree. :smug:

10. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
  11. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Racine,Wi
    That body is totally a soundgear.

12. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    True. But the neck sure ain't. I always thought the soundgears looked OK, but I don't like their skinny necks/narrow spacing at all.

13. spur

spur

Jun 4, 2005
    sweden

I want a 4

14. I think some Eagle basses are/have been sold under the brand name Brownsville in the USA. Apart from that, I don't know much about them. But, $600 is too much for a used Eagle, since that's about as much as a new six stringer costs at Jam in Stockholm. Four stringers are about $100 less.

15. Theodeus

Theodeus

Jan 18, 2004
    Sweden
    I played one at JAM in Gothenburg this summer. I'll tell ya that that is one of the bulkiest necks I've ever laid hands on. Even for a six-string! I wasn't too impressed... :ninja:

16. Theodeus

Theodeus

Jan 18, 2004
    Sweden
    When i think about it... That must be a older verison. The new ones have another head design.

Like this:

Eagle 6 fretless