Ever hook up an extension cab to an Ampeg B-15?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JoeB, May 15, 2001.

1. JoeB

Dec 19, 1999
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    I've got an Ampeg B-15 which, I believe, is circa 1964. On the back, there is a output for an 8 Ohm "extension" cabinet. I've hooked it up with the additional speaker at home and tried it out for only a few minutes quietly and it sounded fine. Anybody ever tried it with a quiet to moderately loud band all night long?

I've only used solid state amps for the last 15-20 years and so I was just wondering if there is anything I should be aware of before depending on this rig for the whole night?

My thanks in advance for your help,

2. If you are running correct impedances to both jacks, which I think is 8 and 8, then it should be no more of a risk than just running the built in speaker by itself.

You will still get the approximately 40 Watts that you were getting before, but it will be split between 2 speakers.

It's a great sounding amp, I had just the head of one for a while, but you will need PA backup if you are doing more than just matching volume with a light drummer and small guitar amp. I just want to make sure you realize it is not a 1000 Watt powerhouse. It's about 30-40 Watts and that's it. The sound more than makes up for the "lack" of power. I use a 50 Watt Bassman-10 amp myself, so I'm not dissing you for the low power. I love the low power tube stuff.