ever just [b]not connect[/b] with a drummer?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by iloveloosey, Jun 15, 2001.

1. iloveloosey

iloveloosey Guest

Sep 9, 2000
    i mean, has it ever seemed as though you each felt the groove differently??? wondering if anyone has ever had this phenomenon...
  2. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    I've not been able to connect with many drummers who were "lesser" players who dropped beats, rushed, dragged, wanked or tried to sing :D

It's always been a point of pride with me that I can lock onto any drummer that knows his stuff.
  3. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    I'm with Mike, if the guy (or girl, I've played with some scary good girl drummers too) don't suck, no sweat. The ones that can't keep tempo....they shoot horses, don't they? :eek: ;)
  4. Cornbread

Jun 20, 2000
    Lawrence, Ma
    Well, I've played with a pretty good drummer that I didn't connect with. He tends to do his own thing regardless of what I'm playing, and he doesn't leave much space for the bass.
  5. bumpcity

May 12, 2001
    Hmm...not to knock your drummer friend, I am sure he is great, but my definition of a good drummer includes leaving some space for the rest of the band. Its one of the big ones. I don't think I could last in a band for very long if I didn't have any space to flex my bass muscles just a little...improv isn't really possible when the others don't leave you any room, and I personally have to have that felxibility to do things differently every time. I totally agree with the comments about tempo. Especially when the bass player gets the blame for the results. I hate that.
  6. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    Sorry but this is definitely within the boundaries of a "bad drummer". Overplaying because you have chops is NOT the sign of a great or even decent player, it's the sign of someone who has totally missed the point of WHY we're making music. This cat wouldn't get past an audition with me.
  7. mchildree

mchildree Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2000
    It's always been my opinion that the better players will meet each other halfway. The *BEST* players won't rush toward each other, bang into each other, then settle into a compromise, so to speak...they'll be more reserved in their approach... cautiously ease toward the other, shake hands, get to know each other sonically and musically. Everybody's comfortable, feels respected and in control of his own space.

There's a definite difference between being a technically good player, and a good *band member*. As far as I'm concerned, any drummer or bassist who's only functional alone isn't worth a whole lot.
  8. MikeyD

Sep 9, 2000
    I worked with a drummer recently who could not for the life of him lock in with me unless I placed my rather large stack right next to him and cranked it. He tended to play too loud most of the time, and had his own idea of time. It was very frustrating. There were some mellow, jazzy tunes in which I had to have my volume up a lot higher than the music called for simply to get him to lock in with me.

I agree with the statements above about good musicianship. Some of the very best drummers I've ever heard (typically in professional jazz combos with national stature) could play so quietly you could hear a pin drop. I believe it takes a heck of a lot more skill to play drums quietly than loudly (anyone can bash drums loudly). Much of the time, they were so tasteful that you hardly even knew they were there, yet they added so much - unobtrusively. Their embellishments fit the music so well, it was hard to even notice his/her presence when listening to the band as a whole.

- Mike
  9. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    The experience I have had with almost a dozen drummers is that they always seem to be looking to show off. Play the song, help me lay down a tight rhythm and leave the showing off for the lead singer! ;)

IMO, the best drummers are the ones that just keep the time -- hard and heavy.
  10. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Good drummers listen too.
  11. Ive connected wit 2 of the 3 drummers Ive played with. THe one I didnt connect with just banged on the snare drum and tried being showy. The other 2 really could lay down a good beat and could fill in space without being excessive.
  12. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    One of my steady gigs is house bassist at a weekly blues jam.

I get to "not connect" on a weekly basis :(
  13. Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    Also, a good drummer stops playing when you tell him to :p
  14. Cornbread

Jun 20, 2000
    Lawrence, Ma
    THAT is a very good point! When I played with the aforementioned drummer, the guitarist and I would plug into the drummer's PA rather than use amps. Whenever the drummer had something to say, he'd shut us off. Of course, it was impossible to shut off his incessant drumming. I think a lot of drummers are "proud" of the fact that they don't have off switches on their kits. :rolleyes:
  15. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    Been there, done that, wrote the book, got the t-shirt.....and I AIN'T goin' back!!!! :p

Some of the most painful 5 minute stretches of my life were on stages at blues jams with drummers that just didn't "get" it. :mad:
  16. gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Some of MY most painful 5 minutes were on stages at blues jams with drummers that just "didn't"! :rolleyes:
  17. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    I am in the process of forming a band out of a jam band that I've been playing with for a year or so. The two guitar players come from a recently defunct band and want to bring their drummer along. I just cannot play with the guy! I've subbed with their old band on several occasions and the cat has no concept of time except 'faster'... We've already got 16 gigs booked out, (one of the guitar players booked with several clubs on his reputation alone), but I am not going to do them with this drummer. Trying to get my own guy situated... wish me luck!

18. foolfighter24

foolfighter24 Guest

Apr 22, 2000
    I've found it very easy to connect with drummers who are a) related to me, or b) are good friends. I have trouble connecting with others. I think thats because friends and family know what I like to do when I play and my tendencies, and vis-versa.
  19. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    I cant stand drummers like that. You can be laying down a really solid line and the drummer will totally start to over play it and lose the feel. at least thats been my experiance with a few of them.
  20. iloveloosey

iloveloosey Guest

Sep 9, 2000
    read everyone's comments thus far. when i asked the question, "have you ever found yourself not connecting to a drummer', i didn't mean, "did you find you didn't connect with a drummer-- because the drummer sucked..." i meant, even if the drummer was good, and you were good, did you just, like, not connect? you know, like a good guy and a good girl, who just had to break up because they didn't connect... know what i mean?

i guess what i really mean is that sometimes people have different perceptions of and feels for music