1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ever just get sick of trying new things, GAS is self inflicted

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ibanezcollector, Jun 7, 2007.

1. ibanezcollector

ibanezcollector Yoyo's Hurt When You Crank It Into Your Face

Feb 18, 2007
    Cleveland Ohio
    I have come to a point that over the last few months, that I have just been swapping out this for that and it all seems just down right stupid now that I think about it.

Gas is a terrible thing especially on this forum :) , but I think I have finally reached a point that I just dont want to try anything else anymore.

I have had my share of basses and all were fine, some great, but I somehow made up some kind of excuse why it wasnt for me, and the next greatest thing would be. Then when that came in it was the best bass ever for a week or so, then the novelty of a new bass wore off and a new excuse came up why this bass wasnt good enough.

What it was, was I liked the fact of getting a new instrument, the excitement of waiting for it, watching tracking numbers, the day its delivered is a great day, the opening of a box, checking it out, setting it up, all good and enjoyable moments, then when the dust clears and its sitting in its stand, I wanted to re-live those moments again so the excuse was made why it wasnt for me, and off it went FS/FT.

I am a fully recovered gas addict now, I have had a dawning, I have finally realized the grass is never going to be greener on the otherside and have settled down with the one bass I have. A Ibanez SR406 which gets the job done, and offers me the versatility needed to play just about anything I can think of.

Share your storys if you have had one of these revelations and now are content with what you currently own.

2. Lorenzini

Lorenzini Supporting Member

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Your intentions are good, but you know in your heart that it's a lie. ;)

3. musicman5string

musicman5string Inactive

Jan 17, 2006
    It's not the gear, it's the ear.

4. Surly

Surly

Feb 2, 2007
    South Florida
    At some point you have to just be happy with what you have. I'm eventually going to spend a good chunk of change on something good and be done with it. Seems silly (for me) to keep buying mediocre instruments, which I now have 2. When I get something really good it will be the end.

5. ibanezcollector

ibanezcollector Yoyo's Hurt When You Crank It Into Your Face

Feb 18, 2007
    Cleveland Ohio
    yeah I have said it before but anyone addicted to anything says the same thing.

But in my heart I truly want to stop this stupid waste of time and money. I am trying to buy happiness and it doesnt happen.

I have realized that, now I have to find happiness in what I have. And the only way for that to happen is to play and enjoy it.

6. BadMonk

BadMonk Enjoy The Ride

Feb 25, 2006
    Whitehall, PA
    12 step program...

7. Surly

Surly

Feb 2, 2007
    South Florida

There ya go.

If playing bass was your JOB, then it wouldn't be as much fun.

Maybe stop reading Talkbass forums ;)

They give us all GAS. :)

8. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    I've found myself pretty much in a comfort zone with what I currently have. A contemporary active sound, a Frankenfender sound, and a fretless.

At this point I find myself just watching for older or interesting things on the cheap that I've always just 'liked' over the years. Keeps me busy at least.

But it's damn nice to see all the high dollar gear all you other guys have laying around.

:)

9. Mr Matt

Mr Matt Supporting Member

Jan 18, 2005
    Washington State
    Happy with what you have to be happy with ~ King Crimson

10. lomo

lomo passionate hack Supporting Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Montreal
    Success is getting what you want; happiness is wanting what you have-it's atough balance to reach. I find gas also comes from no playing as much as I'd like. Shopping (and talking) bass provides another way to engage in my favorite hobby, albeit sometimes a costly one.[SUB][/SUB]

11. tycobb73

tycobb73

Jul 23, 2006
    Grand Rapids MI
    I still have gas. It is because I know how a bass should feel to me and I can't find one that feels that way.

12. eqvolvorama

eqvolvorama Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2000
    Arlington, Virginia
    For me, the worst thing about GAS is the mistaken notion that after the NEXT big gear purchase, you'll be "set", and won't have any more cravings. This is of course nonsense, since no matter what you'll have, you'll always be willing to talk yourself into wanting more.

13. billbass1

billbass1

Jan 31, 2007
    Pennsylvania
    I agree with you Ibanezcollector.
    We live in a society were we are constantly bombarded
    with the mindset of BUY BUY BUY .
    More is not always more, and you have achived that wisdom.
    Now, after makeing that statement, I hope I can stay clean myself for a good long while.:cool:

14. GAS is inevitable and will never end!!!!

15. spencer

spencer Guest

Feb 22, 2006
    Im with you, new basses every week are only cool for so long after a while it gets aggravating. I like my stingray but hey I need a low B perhaps a SR5 will be perfect, but I prefer the tone of a SR4. Well I got my SR4 its red sparkle, LOOKS GREAT but in a more serious setting maby honey burst would look better. Well If my SR5 is black that might give off a kind of dark atmosphere, I guess I should get a Green one because the song might be energetic. Well thats great Im all set 4 basses

Well what if the band I join doesn't like the highfi sound of stingrays I mean sure I can eq it out but just incase I should get a Pbass and/or Jazz. Well then go through the same situation with the colors blah blah. Ok so you have 2 SR's 2Sr5's 2P's and 2' J's

Its as if the entire song is no music but just my bass!

Amplifier Time!!
    Well I really like that tube sound it just sound better [even though you really can't tell the diffrence] But I might need an amp a little more responsive Gk, but Gk doesn't give you that ampeg sound and the Ampeg doesn't give you that Gk hifi sound.
    So now you have 2 amps, but everyone is talking about this New Mark Bass crap and ulgy as it is I have to see whats so great about it. [Most people cannot tell the diffrence in an amp especially in band settings.]

Cabs! Well Aguilar is cool because you rarely hear about them, but anyways a ampeg 8x10 is the rig to go for it gives you everything you want.. But what if I want a little more variety. So you get a 1x15 and a 4xs10, great but now this rig is too heavy and too hard to move so you really want a neo 2x10, but when you get that its not loud enough..,

Thoughts that consitantly run through my head. Mean while Im makeing 0$ doing it and play at a church.

How can I get over the whole grass is greener deal?

16. Foxworthy925

Foxworthy925 Guest

Feb 24, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    you all should become Buddhist. it sounds like ibanezcollector has already found that out.

Buddhists believe that desire is the root of all evil, and you must become free of desire to reach nirvana (technically the condition of wanting nothing). If you give up all your gas, you'll finally be happy and can enjoy life.

17. I agree, and disagree at the same time.

I think that if strictly playing music is your joy, then you should prob. stop spending all your money on new equiptment. but, many people find a lot of enjoyment in trying new things, seeing how new basses feel, and what kind of sound they can get from them. To some, half the fun of playing bass is trying new things, and seeing if they like them or not.

I personally tell myself that I'm above all the materialistic parts of bass-playing, as I cannot afford an extravagant setup. :smug:

~K

18. Aw man, you're giving me GAS for an Ibanez SR406! :D

My gear is fine. The problem is I want to try stuff I can't try out locally so I wind up ordering it. Sometimes it works out, sometimes it doesn't. It would help if I lived near a boutique bass store.

The best cure for GAS I can think of is doing more playing. Then you're thinking about the MUSIC, not the gear.

19. bassman blue

bassman blue

Aug 22, 2002
    Shuswap

yup, you could just sit there humming bass lines in your head... because you couldn't own a bass.

20. A9X

A9X

Dec 27, 2003
    Australia
    Depends on how you look at it. You've experimented and now found something you're content with, so be hapy for the experience.
    Ditto, and several will be on the block soon.
    At least you sold some. I keep them all.
    Perceptive. There are times when I resemble that remark.
    {slight edit}I like what I have and have little interest in adding to the collection, and as I mentioned, some will be sold.

Caveats: I'd like to try some different pickups in two of my main players, and I have a neat body that's just begging for a shortscale neck and I have all the other parts required. I view these as fun/engineering projects and they'll be funded by other sales so I don't see them as GAS. If they don't happen, oh, well....
    I have quite a large collection, but I've come to realise I only play a few of them regularly, and my Steinberger about 90% of the time. I don't need the cash or space at the moment so I'll keep most (some are collector pieces some sentimental value, and some are just beautiful industrial art to me so they could be wall hangings) and enjoy them from time to time. I have thousands of LPs/CDs too, but play a couple of hundred most, but that's no reason to get rid of an old great.

Amps and cabs I'll keep toying with as I've been designing and building them since my teens and I get a great deal of pleasure out of doing it.

I'll finish with the best comment I've read so far

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 27, 2021