Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ever just get tired of bass??

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by basslax, Jan 21, 2002.

1. basslax

basslax

Apr 20, 2000
    Washington, DC
    For some reason recently i have not been playing bass as much. sitting my room noodling around on my bass isnt fun anymore. Maybe its because im not very good, but this isnt the normal "bassists block", im just not very motivated. ive been playing my guitar A LOT more, and even hang out at the guitar forums at HC. im sick, i know :( .

anyone have any tips in getting interested in bass again?? i really hate being like this, but i feel there is nowhere else to go...

chad

2. I've been like this for a little while, and I don't play any other instruments. Hopefully with school coming up, bass will become my outlet again. Over this winter break, practicing on the bass just didn't provide the outlet it normally does when I'm in school.

3. basslax

basslax

Apr 20, 2000
    Washington, DC
    i dunno if i ever used it as an outlet, but i went to a band practice today and i just didnt feel like playing. maybe its because we dont really do challenging stuff, but i dont know.

4. I'll try to tell you what I do to get motivated....Pick a song, a really hard one but within reach, and vow to learn it, and have it down cold. I'm working on Bach Cello Suita 1, and I think I'll have it down in a few months. See, for me I have to have something measurable to work for. Like when I set a goal of running the Chicago marathon; I HATE running, but just wanted a goal to reach, so I trained for it. Unfortunately I couldn't stay physically healthy, kept blowing a ligament, but got up to about 12 miles a day. My point is that without a goal of the marathon, no way I would have ever run 12 miles in a WEEK!

NO, I'm not some motivational speaker-type guy, but there's something to be said for goals.

I'm also working on Fur Elise, my own version, by Beethoven.

my .02

5. I feel the same way right now. So I've started a new band playing guitar. I'll probably wish I was playing bass again before too long.

6. basslax

basslax

Apr 20, 2000
    Washington, DC
    i hope that happens to me :(

7. RHCFlea

RHCFlea

Jun 16, 2001
    Washington DC
    i wish i had more time to play bass :(

8. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Contrary to popular belief, there is nothing wrong with playing guitar. I know at least one guitarists who is actually a decent guy. And another who is borderline. I say just play. If you like guitar, then play guitar.

Chas

9. Mark, I've been thinking about trying to get more goal-oriented with my bass playing. For a while I thought about trying to learn "Home" by Dream Theater, but I think that may be more than a bit outside of my ability. :D

I'm sure I'll figure something out. Good advice!

10. RHCFlea

RHCFlea

Jun 16, 2001
    Washington DC
    wHOA, JUST READ THAT!
    i have no sympathy for you. you're going guitar. I'm sorry, i just... bass is so much better. HOW COULD YOU. really sorry to sound mean, just explain how you play guitar more. Don't you get a much better feeling outta bass?

11. I think this can be refered to as, "hitting the wall."
    This can happen with bass, or a relationship.
    You ain't the first one it happened to. Although I never stopped playing completely, I went through a dry spell of about 12 years! I started a thread called, " Is there a natural playing gap," a while ago, and there was a bunch of responses. I think this happens to a lot of us because we make a certain amount of progress on the instrument, then, we plateau, and get frustrated that we're not going to get much better. Throw these ideas in the garbage! Don't take playing so seriously as though it were a job; just play for fun, and go easy on yourself. ;)

Mike J.

12. drewie

drewie

Jan 20, 2002
    Cardiff, Wales, UK
    Don't worry too much about not being that into playing at home. I find it difficult to practice at home as I much prefer playing with other musicians. What Mark said about picking songs is a good idea, try learning some stuff in a style that you would normally not consider, it might give you a fresh approach. As well as playing in your own band why not see if you can hook up with some other musicians maybe playing a different style of music outside of band time.

Don't be afraid to try new things - you can always pull out your favourite chops if they're required.

13. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Sometimes when I'm tired of bass, I go to the MISCELLANEOUS forum, just like this thread. :D

14. RHCFlea

RHCFlea

Jun 16, 2001
    Washington DC
    no! everyone knows the miscellaneous forum is horribly slow

15. Horribly slow? What are you talking about?

16. "You make the Lord... very nervious" -Little Nicky
    :D

(i'm not trying to offend anyone its a movie quote)

17. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    Chasarms is so smart.every post i've read from him makes me feel so unintelligent.He's probably the most "underrated" TB'er.

Well just choose a tought song and work on it.

18. This may sound crazy, but I rearrange my furniture. Sometimes changing your imediate surroundings can cause creativity or motivation to resurface. Go ahead and try it!

~Ad

19. Dude, don't sweat it. The fact that you're still making music, even if it's by playing other instruments, is important.

Cycles of intense study/focus come and go. I find the same between music and my scooters, all I do is go with the flow and do whatever i'm happy and comfortable doing at the time - I know that when "ready" i'll always come back to the other.

Obviously a challenge to work towards is a way to get back into it - new songs/song ideas (both bass- and guitar-driven/written) that you can present to the band (if you have one); if you're not in a band maybe think about pulling one together, even if it's just for fun.

20. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Not smart. Just old. It is hard to survive life without learning something.

Chas