Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ever just take a break?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by eric atkinson, Jan 31, 2006.

1. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Well I finally walked away from the drummer that I have played with for over 12 years. We played for years on the road and in studios. We have expensed everything for the first time together. We also think alike when it comes to music. I always know what he is going to do during a jam or a freaky change that he would pull out of his butt at a show. But he is going through the wife thing. You guys I am sure wife crazy wife stories. But for the last few years his hatred for his own wife makes him very bitter and effects his playing greatly. It got to the point that we just don’t jam anymore because of her attitude. He has pulled away from and music all together. So now after that many years I am looking for musicians again. Feels kind of like a divorce been with the same person for so long you don’t know how to go about finding others. I have had soooo many offers but are most are with kids that have no experience or just suck totally. Or it is a type of music that I don’t want to play. I have had my day in the sun when I was younger. I don’t expect or really want to make it big. I have a family now and I am very happy with me life. So that gets rid of allot of younger bands. I just want to find musicians that are chilled out and want to really work on some creative ideas. Also I love to play out all the time. So I don’t want those guys that just record in the basement. I have played bass for most of my life 21 years now. And want to do what makes me happy. Not cover radio hits. Ahh heck just ranting. Anyone else ever go through something like this?

This really is heavy on my mind and I feel that I will never find the people that will work well together. I have also noticed that I have not picked up my bass at all for about 2 weeks now. My finger tips are looking like a normal persons.

P.S sorry if this was not coherent enough for you guys. If not just don’t post to it.

2. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    I had a drummer once go clinically insane. He had to be locked up. I think it is a drummer thing.

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I found it incoherent, apart from this particular sentence - which was a clear and concise thought, separated out from any others - unlike the bulk of the post!! ;)

4. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Man, I am EXACTLY at this point. I really like the guys in my band, but I don't like the music we do any more. We started acoustic and laid back, and have now gone to covering Green Day and Weezer like everyone else.

I am hoping to find like minded people that just want to do the singer/songwriter type gig. If I don't, I think I'll just take a break. I still play at church and find that rewarding, so I'll still do some playing.

I haven't felt like practicing for a couple weeks. Friday night may be my last gig for a while.

5. Edwcdc

Edwcdc I call shotgun!

Jul 21, 2003
    Columbia MD USA
    I played in the same band for 5 years and finally left after our NYE gig. I guess I just got tired of doing the same thing with the same guys. After awhile it never got any better, or any worse. It just got to me after 5 years. I'm in two bands right now. One is a hired gun type gig and the other is a project that is just starting out but looks to be good.
    I am going to miss playing with my old drummer but the other two are pretty good so it kinda takes the sting away.

6. eric atkinson

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    LOL now that was funny dude!:p

7. I think I play with that guy now... goes by "Chief B(r)oom", right?

8. I played with my drummer for almost 14 years when we stopped working together. I'll say this - I was very depressed for a while about it, it was a tight bond that we had, but... I got over it. I am doing better work now than I ever had in the past and feel better about my playing, my writing and about myself. Take a deep breath and you'll be fine.

9. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Too bad. But after 5 years, yeah, you have to move in new
    musical directions or you die.

The band I am in now has become really dynamic. The guys
    are trying on new stuff for size all the time, and it has been
    really fun. A new soul or R+B number, a few jazz standards
    to make the sax guy happy. I was actually happy to play
    Gimmie Some a Loving last time, the world's more boring
    bass song 'cause it was new and the boys were ripping it up
    on horn.

Good luck in the new projects, Ed!

10. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Alexandria,VA
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    Similar thing for me Ed. I quit my band after three years. I just got tired of playing the same 60 songs again and again. It was an easy gig with no rehearsals, and regular gigs, but after a while the lack of fun that I was having with the music far outweighed whatever I gained from it.

It feels a little lost to be without a band, but I still play at church and that does a lot for me musically. Also, the bass business has been keeping me real busy.

I also understand where you're coming from Erik. I can remember two drummers in my lifetime that are irreplaceable to me. They are what made me groove the best, and still to this day I miss that. Luckily, they are still friends of mine albeit in different states.

I had a similar thing with a songwriting partner. He was a great guitar player, but more than that, he helped me finish my songs and turn them into something satisfying. I did the same for him. Unfortunately when he moved away, I haven't written any songs since. :(

We all gotta move on, but the fact of the matter is that people are not replaceable.

11. eric atkinson

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Yeah that just sucks! See what we could do with clones?:p