Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ever Kill a set of strings on one gig?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by MAJOR METAL, May 17, 2005.

1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I did a few times playing outdoor summer gigs, how about you?.

2. mwm70

mwm70

Oct 27, 2004
    Baltimore
    Yup. Played in a metal band. Summer gigs + No AC = Dead Strings.

3. jja412

jja412 Fine gear enthusiast

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    110 degree car show, no shade, no fan. Dead. Dead. Dead. :rollno:

4. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Yup. I kill them fast.

We also play 3+ hours on any given night.

5. That's the only time I ever killed a brand new set, at an outdoor summer gig. 95 degrees.

6. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    How about in one set? I've done that a few times here in the Texas heat and humidity. Gone from "fresh outta the box zing and sparkle" to "what'd you do- boil them in lard and dip them in a cow pattie?" in exactly 5.3 songs. Wouldn't even stay in tune for a whole song! Now I use Elixirs and don't have that problem... :)

7. MAJOR METAL

Sweat is deadly to strings.

8. Robman

Robman

Mar 19, 2004
    Sherman, Texas
    Yep, sure did. Had my Spector Legend 4 for one week - brand new. I assume that the strings were Spector nickels. Sounded great at home practicing. But after my first gig with this bass and it's factory strings, I noticed they were dead the very next day. Hmmmm.

9. BassikLee

BassikLee Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    Owner: Brevard Sound Systems
    For some reason, I kill Smith strings like the Orkin man. Love the feel, sound, balance, etc out of the pack, and within a set or so, they're gone. This isn't a "wipe them down after playing" deal. I'll put new ones on, and they die before an hour of playing. I must have uber-corrosive "people oil" as it were....

10. At the suggestion of Trina, I use Purell Hand sanitizer. Removes the oils and chemicals that kill strings. Works very well. It is waterless and just wipe off with clean rag.

11. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I shot a pack of Slinkies once.

12. MAJOR METAL

Would you guys say it is easier to kill a set of steels then nickels in one gig?.

13. bassman314

bassman314 I seem to be a verb, an evolutionary process... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 13, 2005
    Bay Area, CA
    I'll caveat my post. I've never killed a set in one day, but I have experience the "fine at beginning of set, dead at end" before.

My Lakland came with Lakland steels, which apparently are GHS. First set was dead in a week or 2 after I got it.. They gave me a free set when I bought the bass. Second set went dead in less than a month.

ProSteels seem to last... I haven't played any gigs in 110 heat and humidity, but I do play in a small meeting room filled with anywhere from 40-80 sweaty Jr High kids with bad ventilation (the room... most of the kids have excellent ventilation, being Jr. High kids) *L* ProSteels seem to last.

My experience with Nickel Steel (Slinkys, Slowounds, XL's) has been they don't last as long as ProSteels, and have a much different tone.

14. Dell

Dell

Apr 7, 2005
    Same here, but they were free so I dont care too much :)

15. bazzanderson

bazzanderson

Oct 7, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Yup...4 hour recording session (no ac btw) with new Fender 8250s. Dead (noticed it on the last song) at the end of the session.

16. wildsponge

wildsponge

Oct 21, 2004
    Novato, CA
    Yuppers. Slapped on a set of Everly B-52's on my bass before an outdoor gig and by end of practice I had to put down the pick and play with my fingers cause it sounded so bad.

17. I play fingerstyle, and not that heavily, but I once snapped the E and A string at the same time during a gig, does that count? That was the last time I ever used Rotosounds, and I've never snapped any strings since. I now use GHS or D'Addario.