Ever made someone WANT to play?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by bassteban, Dec 13, 2004.

1. Go ahead, blow your own horn (not that I can, literally or figuratively, mind you). Have you influenced anyone to pick up any sort of bass? Or just think you have, like me? I know 3 kids, age 11, 12, & 13, who have all started playing, & I'm the only "real"-emphasis on quotation marks here-bassist they've seen live. Anyone else?
  2. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    My 15 year old sister sorta idolizes me... I have her starting drums and guitar...
  3. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    I don't know that I ever got anyone to take the very first step in playing bass, but I know I've helped quite a few others immediatly after, or even before they bought their first one. I know anytime I hear anyone saying "I wanna play an instrument" I immediatly hand them a bass if possible :smug:.

4. elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    Recently I played a gig with the drummer student of my drummer friend. Afterwards I handed him my 7-string and let him fool around with it - then he told his teacher (my friend, yes) that he wanted to learn the bass.

As for blowing my own horn, I perfer the butt trumpet. ;)
  5. a few weeks ago, I was playing bass downstair and my sister's friend come in and start asking me why I play bass... She was saying stuff like... why not guitar? bass is weird, no one plays that... no one ever ear bass in a song it sucks....

So i explain her what's the "role" of the bass in songs and all, show her the difference between a song with or without bass but still she doesn't change her mind....

Now what did I learned yesterday? The girl asked her parents a bass for christmass :rolleyes:

Maybe I convinced her, maybe not... but who cares?? one more bassist out there :bassist:
  6. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    I think the real question is -- is she hot?
  7. I Fear She might be a bit too young for me..... she must be 14 or something like that :(
  8. Actually yes, about two years ago a guitarist buddy of mine needed to put together a one time gig for a wedding and called me in on bass, said that he already had a singer, drummer and keyboardist (all female btw).

So anyway we show up to the drummers house and we go through some of the tunes and i really gel well with the keyboardist, after the gig we exchange numbers and she called me every now and then for no reason.

Anyway about a year after that i bump into her at the beach and she told me that "i need your number again, i lost my phone.. But i was so blown away by how funky you are on bass and that that ive moved on from keys and taken up bass, will you give me lessons?"

needless to say i cannot turn down a hot asian girl in a bikini askin for anythin..

on a side note, shes quite talented!
  9. PunkerTrav

Jul 18, 2001
    Canada & USA
    Actually, at one of our gigs, I was standing backstage with my bass standing on my foot. Some guy drunk off his *** starts telling me abotu how he wants to learn the bass. blah, blah, blah. After our set, he comes up to me, drunk right back onto his ***, and starts telling me how he's now inspired to play bass and get good at it.

I probably could have farted into a mic all night while holding the bass with the same end result, but I'll play along.

10. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I make people want to play for a living. And I'm good at it. ;)

On a more humble scale, I influenced all 3 of my younger siblings to play. Only one has stuck with it. :meh:
  11. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    Can't win em all.
    I have with a few of my friends.
  12. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    When I started playing bass, no one played bass, now everyone of my friends and a bunch of other people who have heard me play play/respect bass. I have a friend who plays and I asked him what bassist influence him and the only bassist he really knew that well was me... freaky.
  13. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Oh Mike, i'm so sorry, I didnt realise your sister was both deaf and blind :(

14. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    I have certainly turned people onto the nuances of bass playing and what it does for the sound of a band, but i'm not sure if i've ever made anyone want to play the bass. Unless of course someone saw me at a gig and thought "man, if that clown can do that then I can definately do it" - which probably did happen :)
  15. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    I try to encourage people all the time.
  16. Dan Molina

Dan Molina TalkBass Secular Progressive

Jul 17, 2002
    Murr Town, California
    she's a pinball wizard?

17. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    My daughter (she plays both upright and bass guitar).
  18. I inspired some kid at a Subway sammich shop to lie to my face:

funny thing...I walk in, get to chatting with the kid at the counter while he's making my grub. He goes on to say "hey, you look like a musician..you play in a band? I play in a band."

Me: "yeah I do..that's cool, who do you play for?"

Him: "Oh, I play bass in the Curtain Society."

Me: "That's funny, so do I."

Him: "oh...uh...(silence, making sandwich) sorry man"

Funny thing really. Memories....
  19. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    My nine year old nephew wants to play bass now that he knows I do. He was never all that interested until he came to one of our gigs a couple months ago.

I bought his little sister, who is four, a kiddies drum set from the toy store. She sings along and plays it all the time.

20. I bought my Daughter a guitar because she wanted to emulate what I do, and now she doesn't really use it.

But my 2 year old son readily hops up on my drumkit practically every day and beats them senseless....

It's funny. In these instances, I never pushed my interests on my kids, and it's funny how things have developed...