1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ever meet or play with someone, Then Find out they are in a big band?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by tom once dead, May 1, 2009.

1. At the last gig I did, we supported a fairly big (but not THAT big) aussie band. They had a fill in drummer, he was really good, but I didnt think anything about it, breifly said hello as you do. Then tonight I was on the band we supported myspace, listening to thier songs. I noticed the fill in drummer in their friends, and being bored clicked on his profile, then onto his bands... Found out he was in Berzerka (spelling?) a quite big (for the genre) aussie band, who are doing a US tour Supporting Obituary.

I thinks thats pretty cool (for a new teenage band). Anyone else have one of these stories?

2. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2006
    G.R. MI
    I played with harmonica player years ago who turned out to be the president of a large, multinational corporation. The guy smoked on the harp!

My drummer toured nationally for a couple of years. His band did the Hoard Tour, and was the opening act for a Dream Theater tour amongst other things.

3. Tumeni Notes

Tumeni Notes

Jan 2, 2009
    Me and my friends were in Deep Ellum (Dallas) many years ago attending a concert at the Trees. As we were waiting in line, I saw a "homeless" man sitting on the sidewalk. As a I passed him, I gave him some money.

It turns out that he was the drummer for King's X.

I guess the drummer made a little bit more money than the rest of his bandmates.

:meh:

4. Does High School band count? I went to school with the original drummer of Powerman 5000, Alan Pahanish.

5. Would that be todd from the berzerker?

6. BillyRay

BillyRay Supporting Member

Jan 20, 2008
    Quebec
    I jammed briefly with the bassist from Simple Plan years ago, altough they hadn't hit it big yet. He was a friend of a friend.

That's about it.

7. AlembicPlayer

AlembicPlayer Im not wearing shorts

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA
    I jammed with a friend of my brother in law's room mate who worked in a video store who rented a video to a guy who use to play in a band with a guy who's brother once sat in with a friend that used to roadie for the doobie brothers.

:)

8. TL5

TL5

Jun 27, 2005
    Nashville
    If big country artists count, all the time.

9. RobertPaulson

RobertPaulson

Dec 11, 2008
    Des Moines
    My singer played bass in a band with the drummer from slipknot before slipknot came to be.

10. I was working the front counter at a tattoo shop i use to work out. The shop owner had an appointment with "A friend from Norway who was visiting". The guy came and was super nice... but like REALLY metal looking.

After the appointment i found out it was Abbath from Immortal... weird...

As far as playing goes, i guess my current band fits the topic. Our drummer is the guitarist/vocalist for a well known power-pop punk band that's been arround since the 80's as well as owns a big(ish) record label. I did not know this untill i had jammed with him a few times :)

11. Cary713

Cary713

Apr 8, 2009
    Boise, Id
    I put an ad on CL about a week ago looking for bass lessons. I got a reply from a guy saying he's willing to start taking students again. After googling his e-mail addy, and a little further research, I found he is the bass player for a rock/alternative band who was big in the '90s and had a PLATINUM album. He toured with them for 14 years, and has now settled down and has a home recording studio, and plays in a couple bands locally.

I had my first lesson with him Wednesday evening. Very cool guy, amazing player, and I am definitely continuing.

What are the odds of that? Especially here in Boise, Id.
    ...Feeling very fortunate...:D

12. Beyer160

Beyer160

Dec 20, 2008
    NC
    The first big concert I ever worked was Richard Marx. I was hanging out in the stage right wing before the show, and started talking with the sax player. Very cool guy, we shot the bull for about five minutes before he went on. Turns out he was Raphael Ravenscroft, who played sax on Gerry Rafftery's "Baker Street", as well as working with Pink Floyd and a ton of others.

At least I didn't make a fool of myself the way my friend Ro did, working for The Who in 1989. He rappelled down out of the grid for lunch, and landed next to Pete Townshend.

Surprised, Ro blurted out- "Hey, you're Pete Townshend!"

Townshend, annoyed, looked down at himself in mock surprise and exclaimed "F*@& me, I am!"

13. We were having a jam session at the pub and invited every musician in town that we knew to come and along comes Paul Gaskin, he is still rather big in germany too! Great guitarist to play with if you can squeeze onstage and find space behind his ego lol

14. Adam Bomb

Adam Bomb

Mar 26, 2008
    Bezerkely, CA
    LOL! I'm afraid that I see how that would be an easy mistake to make with Jerry.

After I broke up my rap-metal band back in the 90s, my guitarist's new band opened for Noel Redding. Apparently Noel was not a very nice person and my former bandmate doesn't really like to talk about the interaction. But to my mind it basically makes me Jimi.

Really though, King's X is the Experience of our time. They kill, every time I see them.

--Bomb :bassist:

15. Passinwind

Passinwind I am Passinwind and some of you are not. Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    A few. I was at a dinner party at a good friend's house at discovered that one of the other guests was the late Skip Battin, the bassist from the Byrds, New Riders, and Flying Burrito Bros at various times. I'd seen him play many times and was a huge fan. He insisted that my brother and I come back the next night and jam. He played piano so I'd get to play bass. Super-cool guy, and he really encouraged me to keep playing at a time I was considering packing it in.

But my favorite was a guy who showed up at my house with a singer I knew. He noticed my test equipment and we got to talking. Turns out he did a little tech work too, as some kind of roadie. He was very modest and didn't want to drop a name though. Finally I got it out of him: he was the tech director for the Allman Bros. Band. Wow...some "little roadie gig"!

He asked me to come to a show and coach him on maintaining synthesizers, and over the years I ended up working on several more shows with the band when they swung through New England. They treated me just like any other roadie, which was highly flattering for a young guy just learning the ropes.

One time I showed up unannounced looking for my friend at load-in, and walked right up to the stage without anyone stopping me. Some guy with a heavy British accent asked me what was in the bass case. I did a double take and realized it was Jack Bruce, whose all star band was opening for the ABB that night. I had no idea they were even on the bill, but they ended up giving me a seat onstage at the monitor board for their set. Good times!

And then there was my short term house mate in Seattle in the mid-80s, a pretty decent drummer. We all figured he'd be a star one day, since he was very young, really talented and extremely focused. I jammed with him once in a while, which was always a blast. He ended up in a couple of fairly well known bands -- Soundgarden and Pearl Jam. ;)

16. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    My friends Bass teacher is Kira Roessler. She's also friends with Mike Watt. I didnt get to play with either of them, but after seeing a Dos show Mike Watt came and partied with us.

17. I've played in a "sort of" pickup band with Nicko McBrain of Iron Maiden for years.He married a really good friend of mine,Becky Dempsey.We don't actually book any gigs.Just when they come into town,we all get together and play for hours on end.Years ago,when upbeat country was popular(mid-90's),he came to the bar and sat in for about 6 or 7 songs.We were both laughing our asses off so hard because of the simple fact he was playing country music.Hilarious.Just a really laid back funny guy with a weird accent.He tries his best to talk like a hick when he's around us.Funny.I've never asked for an autograph.It just seems we're past all that.I think it would make us both feel out of place.I WILL get a camera one day to post pics.

18. permagrin

permagrin

May 1, 2003
    San Pedro, CA
    I've seen Watt several times, he even came over to my house once for a bbq, very cool guy, much respect.

And to tie this in to the thread... after a Niel Diamond (yeah, I'm a fan) show at Staples it was pretty cleared out and I was waiting for my wife outside the bathrooms, and two guys are walking toward me - one is an older gentleman walking pretty slow, the other holding his elbow and helping him along.

The older guy was wearing a Jane's Addiction T-shirt. I told him I was a big Jane's fan, we were talking about it for a minute or two when I recognized that the younger guy was Steven Perkins. Felt like an ass, but he was really cool.

We talked for a few more minutes, and of course (to bring this full circle) he gigs with Watt in a band called Banyan.

19. Pitbull Growl

Pitbull Growl

Jan 6, 2009
    NNJ/NYC
    I got John Norwood Fisher & Angelo Moore HAMMERED on some Tuacca shots one time while I was bartending in Dallas. (Tuacca Lemon Drops were a big thing there @ the time) Took me a good 1/2 hr to recognize them. They were downing shots and screaming "CHEWBACCA!!" all afternoon. GREAT guys. Turns out Fishbone was playing a show w/Rev. Horton Heat that nite, and they put me & the guy I worked that shift with on the guest list.

20. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    Yeah, an a while back, about 6 years or so, my friends band opened for a little band called Hellride, that consisted of Mike Watt, Steve Perkins, and Peter DiStefano. I got Perkins autograph (I was like 18 then) and he called me Moby Dick.

After that gig my friends band was recording with DiStefano at his house in Camarillo, and I drove them out there and hung out at his house. It was pretty cool.

On a side note, my ex brother-in-law is Mark Kendall from Great White, though I never got a chance to jam with him.