Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ever name a dog after your favorite band?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by seamus, Dec 20, 2002.

1. Bosco

4 vote(s)
    26.7%
  2. Rush

5 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. Other (open to your suggestions)

6 vote(s)
    40.0%
  1. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    Trying to name a male Golden. Just a 4 week puppy right now, so we haven't brought him home yet. We're looking for a simple, one or two syllable name. So far, Bosco has been in the lead. Then this morning, I was chatting with my sister and we tossed more names around.

While I was on the phone with the wife, I suggested 'Rush' as a joke. Just seconds later, my sister IM'd me how she likes musical names. She knows I'm a huge fan of the band, and suggested the same thing, Rush! Really strange coincidence for sure, occurring at the same time and all. So now I'm wondering, WWGD (what would Geddy do?)

Waddya think? Am I crazy for wanting to name my dog after my favorite band? I still like Bosco a lot too, but Rush sounds like a really cool name as well. I'll put up a poll so people can vote or offer us more suggestions. Thanks! :)

2. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    niether of the 2 choices...my friends dog is named bosko (only with a "k" not a "c") and rush doesn't dound right

bp13

3. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    It would be cooler to go a bit more obscure and name the dog based on some song reference from the band or something. My parents got a sheltie (native to Shetland islands) and wanted me to come up with some Scandinavian names to go along with Shetland roots so I promptly named her "Isobel" after the Bjork song. :)

So...maybe you could name the dog Tom Sawyer, By-tor (good one for a dog! - biter/By-tor), Cygnus, 2112 (who says numbers can't be names!), Geddy, etc... Get creative!

brad cook

4. bosco is cool but a over used name for a dog. My brother is into reggea music so he named his dog Iree..

Fetch!

5. yoshi

yoshi

Jul 12, 2002
    England, London
    My black lab's named Stilton...im unsure what my dads view on cheese is..:confused:

Out of the two put forward, I'd say bosco, rush is a bit naff to be honest...

Just have him for a few days, and your bound to pick up on one of his uniqunessess then tag him with that name (unless he gets a habbit of dumping in the house, your neighbours may not be chuffed if you scream out 'sh*t' at 10pm on a night ;) )

6. Nah. "Smashing Pumpkins" just doesn't feel right.

"'Cmon Smashing Pumpkins, get the stick!"

7. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Slayer

Good for home security.

8. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I have a black Lab which has a patch of white on her chest. We named her Storm, after the X Men character.
    OTOH, I've like a Golden Lab, so that I could name it Doctor Wu.

9. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    Doctor Wu: The Steely Dan tune? I knew a Dobie named Bodhisattva, Bodie for short.

There's another angle on the 'Rush' idea I failed to mention. I believe one of the sire's in the recent bloodline is a champion named something or other...Gold Rush. The name is losing ground with me though as I get through the day. Bosco probably remains the front runner at this point, but I'm going to stay tuned and take it all in.

10. kaboom133

kaboom133

Oct 19, 2001
    Latrobe PA
    i think musical names are great. i did name my cat bootsy

11. my frind named nis dog "cliff" after cliff burton, and another friend of mine named his cat Tommy the cat, after the primus tune.
    between bosco and rush; bosco is better.

12. how about Ginsburg? or if you really want a cool name call your dog "I AM" and then when your call him you would say "Here I AM" :D :p :cool:

13. That's what the hippies named their dog on the Simpsons. The one where Homer gets everyone high.

14. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    I was caught up in the moment (and coincidence) at the time. I agree, Rush is a pretty lame name for a dog. Hmm, back to Bosco for now...

15. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Congrats on getting a golden, they are awesome dogs! Here is a pic of my golden, her name is Spencer. Not really a females name, but its a long story....and its just a dog anyway. The rotty in the pic was purchased for home security....we live in the total boonies, and last summer someone stole my truck out of my yard. For that reason, I decided to get something a bit intimidating for outside, something that would make you think twice about messing around out here. As it turns out, the rotty is the biggest wuss dog I have ever seen. This is a good thing in my opinion, since I do not want to have the responsibility of owning a viscious dog. He will lick anyone to death, including total strangers, but he should still have the intimidation thing going for him....he is 80# at 8 months old.....his grandma was at an all time high of 210#....I hope he gets huge. I wanted to name him Deebo (charachter from the Friday movies), and get him a leather spiked collar to complete the bad ass look (and to make it all the more comical when he runs up to lick you to death). I got vetoed on both of those ideas from the lady.....she named him Tucker, which is cool by me. Sorry to rant, I love my dogs.....they are truly mans best friend! Oh yea, I know a guy that goes by the nickname Bosco....one of the biggest ***holes I have ever met. That guy ruined it....please don't go with bosco!

[​IMG]

16. Benbass

Benbass

Jan 28, 2002
    Kansas
    Hehe. I do like the By-Tor idea. But since that didn't seem to go over how about naming the dog after a talkbass member. Maybe Munjibunga. Stupidmatt just changed his name so I guess you could have it, but then again goldens are generally extremely smart. Anyway, congrats on the dog and there must be something from a Rush song that would work.

17. As much as I like Rush, that would be a lame name for a dog. If you wanted go along with that theme, use a member's name or a play on words with the title, as sugested before. Then that would be real cool. My drummer's brother in law's dog is named PJ for Pearal Jam, and even that is kinda lame. But go with what some of the other suggestions where that said before because then you could still get in the Rush connection.

18. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    toms_river.nj.us
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I voted "Rush" pretty cool dog name. Maybe more fitting for a border collie or greyhound

slightly off topic: My in-laws nieghbor has the BEST named dog. It's a lab/retriever mutt named "Dammit"

19. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    lol, the Dammit name is pretty funny

I can just hear someone yelling:

Dammit, get down from there!
    Dammit, get over here!
    Dammit, not on the carpet!

20. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000