Ever owned/used a Carvin RL410 ?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by bonzo4880, Dec 28, 2007.

1. bonzo4880

bonzo4880

Sep 16, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    I have one and wanted to know if anyone knew what the specs are for the horn attenuator. There are 4 different possible positions. It didn't come with any info and several email attempts to Carvin have gone unanswered. Last time I checked their site, there wasn't much info up about the RL series. Maybe it was discontinued? Any info would be appreciated.

2. bad5x8

bad5x8

Sep 17, 2006
    Kansas City, MO
    My old RL410 had a knob, not a positioned switch.

3. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    The newer RL410 cabs have the same attenuator as the BR410 or whatever they are called. Just check that manual out. I believe they are using fixed resistor networks instead of a rotary Lpad, which has some distinct advantages in reliability and the number of settings seems to cover what different users would want.

4. bonzo4880

bonzo4880

Sep 16, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    mine didnt come with a manual

5. tdogg

tdogg

Jan 17, 2001
    Brooklyn Park, MN
    mine had the rotary knob. got rid of it a while ago so i couldnt give the specs. great cab for the money though

6. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    That's why they have downloadable pdf manuals on the internet ; }

Check Carvin's site. For that matter they probably have RL410 manuals up still.

7. http://www.carvin.com/manuals/RL410T.pdf

The attenuator should be labeled on the back panel...I'm surprised the labeling isn't there.
    OFF, -12db, -6db, -3db and MAX

I had one, one of the last they made before discontinuing. I loved that cab, sounded great. Sold it because it was 8-ohm, picked up a 4-ohm RL210t to replace it, due to my amp only having 4 and 2 ohm inputs.

8. Blues Bass 2

Blues Bass 2 Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Davenport Iowa
    I had one of the RL410T cabs also,very nice cabs.The low end was lacking some but it was lightweight and had very nice mids.

9. cobaia

cobaia

Jul 20, 2014
    I have one of the older RL410's (not the RL410T) and it has a couple of sliders instead of a knob. Can't find the manual for this model on the Carvin site.

Each slider has three positions marked with a single digit number along with the word "Off" on the top one. Anyone know what these numbers mean and how to set them to get the most horn?

10. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    3 posts up in this same thread...if the link to the manual is still good.

Otherwise try www.carvinmuseum.com

I used to have the same cab but can't remember which switch settings were what.

11. cobaia

cobaia

Jul 20, 2014
    The above link is not the right one. I have the RL410 and the link above is for a RL410T. The changes between the two are, 1) the RL410T is rated at 800 watts while the RL410 is 600 watts, and 2) they changed the horn attenuator to a rotary dial on the RL410T. Wish I had the RL410T instead, but I don't.

However, the good people at Carvin got back to me with this.

r600-r1000-seriesiii.pdf manual on the carvinservice.com site (talkbass won't let me post the link because I don't have 10 posts yet)

Page 3 of the manual shows the instructions for setting the horn attenuator switches on the RedLine bass cabinets. Not sure why they buried the speaker horn settings in an amp manual, but there you have it.

12. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Aha.....nice find.

13. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Your other option was to use a tone generator. Plenty of websites have those. Phone apps too, TrueTone is a good one. Rig a 1/8" - 1/4" cable to connect it to your speaker. Pass a tone up around 10khz somewhere, and just fool with the switches to find out what makes it louder/quieter, on/off. :)

14. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 27, 2021