1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ever Play a Sub Gig That Made You Appreciate Your Main Band All the More?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by jaywa, Aug 20, 2012.

1. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    I did this past weekend. I filled in for the band I had left to join my current one and we played two nights at a venue we had played a lot when I was with them before.

There wasn't anything particularly bad about the gigs (in fact the second night in particular went really well)... but by the end of the weekend there was no doubt in my mind that I had definitely upgraded. The gear, the venue, the crowd, the "hang" within the band... everything is so much better now. On top of which, it was pretty clear that some of the issues that had caused me to leave the first time were still handicapping the band more than a year a half later.

Anyone else have the same experience?

2. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    Had exactly the same experience this past weekend. My old band called to see if I could fill in. I had been saying I wouldn't want to do that, but I gave in. The mercenary part of me came out, I guess ($200 for me, 3-hour gig, in town). Anyway, just like you, I noticed the same old problems that got me out of there---and the same old songs I'm sick of and don't like. But, also the same old sound problems that REALLY got me out of there, although they got it together eventually. Actually, in some ways it wasn't all as bad as it used to be, but still not my cup of tea. I'm much, much better off and happier working with the two bands I play with nowadays. But, I told the leader to call again anyway, although I can never guarantee if I'll be available.

But yes, it makes me appreciate what I'm doing now even more.

3. Commreman

Commreman Faith, Family, Fitness, and Frets Gold Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2005
    New Jersey
    Oh yeah. There are a couple of sub gigs I do that make me very thankful for my main gig!

4. Wesley R

Wesley R Supporting Member

LOng story-short answer: Not only yes, but HECK YES!!!

5. Dave W

Dave W Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2007
    White Plains
    Yep, and it's pretty much the same story as yours. I left my old band for my current one, but I had a gig with the old band. I enjoy playing with the guys as they are good musicians, but I want to punch myself in the face after standing around for an hour without actually doing anything.

Basically waiting for the drummer to be "ready" to play. Setting up his giant kit. Make sure everything is perfect for him and only him. Waste tons of time on getting it perfect. A 30 min. stretching routine because he can't start playing cold. It's insanity. He also hates gigging (this happened to be the first gig in like 5 years) because it's too much work.

So much less drama with my new band. We just do what we have to do and have fun doing it.

6. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    :eyebrow:

What the hell's wrong with this guy? He might as well hang it up if that's how he feels about it.