1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ever play at home after a gig?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Russell L, Aug 19, 2012.

1. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    I mean, I guess I just can't get enough. So, I come in late last night around 1am after a gig (and stopping at Waffle House) and what do I do? Turn on the TV, turn the sound down, and turn on my amp. I played for about an hour, doodling and whatnot, watching the Western Channel.

I have been gigging some lately, as well as practicing for my new band. I can feel some difference in my chops as a result, but good grief, playing after a gig? What's wrong with me?:help: Tell me I'm not alone.

2. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    i do it all the time,... embrace it!;)

3. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    No way. I leave it all on the stage.

4. Commreman

Commreman Faith, Family, Fitness, and Frets Gold Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2005
    New Jersey
    I do it all the time. It helps me wind down.

5. I generally go right to bed (3-4 am etc), but will generally work on any problem spots the next morning. Kind of a mental thing I guess. There have been a few spots lately, as I'm still working on getting comfy with my first 5er. I'm OK as long as I'm paying close attention, but 20+ years of playing only 4's has created alot of old habits and muscle memory to work around:)

6. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I usually wait a few days.

7. SBassman

SBassman

Jun 8, 2003
    Northeast, US
    I usually don't play after a gig, although I can understand the desire to come home and maybe noodle with the TV on.

I don't usually play - but I also can't go to sleep quickly. I usually need a solid hour of TV or internet before I can wind down after coming home from a gig.

8. do it all the time.

9. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    Whew, so it ain't just me. It's happened a couple of times in the last few months. Usually, though, I just get home and watch the tube till I fall asleep in my chair. That's the way it's been for decades after gigging. I also had a rehearsal today for about three hours, so I have played a lot since last night. Ah well, it feels good, though. My hands and fingers feel great, nice and limber, no pains at all. And my articulation feels quite nice. I might even have a tad extra speed. So, it ain't a bad thing. Glad to hear some others do it, too.

Now, I may not feel that way next time. We'll see in a couple of weeks.

10. jaywa

jaywa

May 5, 2008
    Iowa City, IA
    After a typical 4-hr show, plus teardown and the trip home, Its rare I even walk in the door before 3 AM. By that time any adrenaline from the gig has worn off and sleep is the only thing on my agenda.

11. I always do, but I make sure at home I play a different style than what I played at the gig.

12. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    No. We aren't gigging regularly enough so after four hours my fingers are shot. I also want to wind down.

13. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    Well now there's the difference, and I think you're right---if it had been an out-of-towner I probably would not have done it. The road and extra time change things.

On a similar note, I have played many a gig when I felt I was just getting started when it was time to quit.

"Hey, where ya'll wanna go play now?":help::bassist:

14. funkingroovin

funkingroovin Conquering A-D-D,and all the other notes as well!

Apr 19, 2009
    Hawaii
    I do it all the time also. Usually my guitarist will stop by and we dink around on the acoustics and think of new songs for the next practice or parts we'd like to rework in the current line up..

I also want to add that last Friday we(the band)all felt the same about "just getting started and it's time to go",so we played another set just 'cuz!

15. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    I do it pretty often. Even more frequently though, I find myself leaving other peoples' concerts and coming home to noodle around. I rarely stick around for the very end of a show because I want to go home and play my bass.

16. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    WAY cool, pal. Good to have feelings like that.:D Nice when it can all be an enjoyment, and not just work.

17. RandalPinkFloyd

RandalPinkFloyd

Jun 3, 2012
    If I can. Otherwise I feel like I had a day off since gig music is stuff that I already know. No reading music or going over theory. So I try to get some of that in either before and/or after the gig.

18. If I'm not hanging out after the gig my acoustic usually gets some attention. But I can't keep my hands off that thing anytime im around it regardless. I do agree with whoever said they're ready to go at the end of the gig. Those last few songs I begin to savor. I just love being on stage lol.

19. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    That was me. Sometimes I feel like I could play two gigs back-to-back (and have done so twice in the past year). Probably wouldn't play at home after the second one, though (and I didn't , best I can remember).

20. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    Oh, it's a hunger, for sure. I know what you mean. The reason I can play at all is because at an early age I had an obsession with playing. Couldn't help it.