Ever play drunk? I'm kinda suprised

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by modulusbassist, Jan 20, 2002.

1. Any of you ever play while slightly tipsy? I was suprised that my band mate told me I kicked ass the other night, and I was a little typsy, more to drunk I guess, but I was more lose, more confident, damn alcohol, I curse you.
  2. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    I only have a few beers when I'm playing a gig or at a practice. If I start to feel "the buzz," I immediately switch to water.

I am not necessarily doubting your abilities when drunk, but I suggest you record a gig while you're drunk and listen to it when you're sober, before you claim that you kicked ass! ;)
  3. I thought I played horrible, but my band mates said other wise. Mmmm,damn it, I hate wine, hehehehe.
  4. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Maybe they were drunk too! ;) :D

They don't call alcohol "liquid courage" for nothin'!
  5. Personally I find if I drink too much, my fingers turn in to bananas :D

I only ever have one or maybe two if its a long night, and often none at all!

I think it also makes me feel more tired towards the end of the gig and I can lose concentration, but I agree it can helpen lessen the nerves at the start.
  6. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    modulus,maybe your band mates drunk too!:eek:
  7. I play WAAAY better when Im drunk. Well, I perform better when Im drunkish. Okay, so im less good, but who cares right?
  8. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

I'm a lot older than you guys, but if I have a drink, even an hour before playing, it has a highly negative impact on speed and finger flexibility for playing. Fact is I can't drink alcohol and play. Simple as that.

I'm amazed at so many stories I've read in magazines that tell of musicians who played stoned or drunk. I just don't know how they managed it. For me alcohol is an undeniable handicap.
  9. JazznFunk

JazznFunk Supporting Member

Mar 26, 2000
    Asheville, NC
    Lakland Basses Artist
    I have a rule set down for myself that I refuse to drink anything at all before I play, or while I play, except for water. That rule goes for caffeine too. If I screw up, or if I play brilliantly, I want it to be because *I* did it, not because something else made me do it.
  10. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    I once tried to play guitar while really slammed. It didn't work out to well, I couldn't even play a simple bar chord correctly. I don't know how people can play and drive while drunk.
  11. Years ago I was in a band that was going to play a huge outdoor party at this country estate. They had made a nice sized stage in the back yard for us to perform. The problem was we were having isolated rain showers that day. It had actually dried out pretty nice at one point so we decided to pack up and haul all our equipment out there in hopes that the good weather would hold out. Of course once we got there it started to downpour! We talked to the people organizing the party and it was agreed that we wouldn't play at all and maybe try for another party at another time.

Right around this time the owner of the house whipped out a bottle of tequila and started to pour straight shots. Well since we weren't playing the gig it seem only appropriate that I would partake in a couple...or five...or so straight shots. A couple hours later I was feeling no pain.

At this point there are people at the party who want the band to play. Someone ingenious fool comes up with the idea to clean out the garage so the band can set up there. "But I can't p p p play, I'm d d drunkkk!"

So we end up playing the gig anyway and, like someone posted earlier, my playing sucked but I was less inhibited and more confident. I don't consider this to be a good thing as I probably made a real ass of myself. I couldn't tell you for sure. It got kind of blurry at about that point, but the stories I heard afterward only make me cringe.;)
  12. cloudnine

Jan 18, 2002
    When I get drunk and play..

I think I am playing great but everyone tells me I am playing horribly. I guess if your a nervous person you might play better if you get a couple drinks in you... but for anyone who doesn't get nervous on stage it just slows down performance.:p
  13. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    It's the same thing with me.

I played drunk at a new-years gig once. Just before 12 o'clock, we went on stage to do one last song. I had been drinking quite a lot, but apparently not enough - I could hear and understand how totally crappy my performance was, so I wasn't exactly feeling confident about myself. Although I knew what to play, I had no control whatsoever over my hands.

When I play a gig, I have to be totally sober or I can't do it. One drink and my fingers go numb. What I do after the gig though, is a different story. ;)
  14. rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    I don't necessarily play better, but I certainly perform better when I have a slight buzz going. Two drinks before taking the stage, then one a set works well for me. If I get really slammed, I know that I play worse... the only remedy then is root notes the rest of the night!

15. I rock out about 200% more after a few beers...not too many, mind you. I just have to remember to relax when playing otherwise my fingers can feel like they've got polio.
    But after you've been playing the same songs for a while you can get away with a bit of horseplay 'cause there isn't as much fear of ballsing it up.
  16. Depends on the gig. What's the importance of me concentrating on my bass part vs. me looking like a rock star. Typically, with the look like a rock star gig, somewhat less than 100% of my abilities are required for the bass part, and a little alcohol goes a long way in the loosening up department. Too much alcohol is of course bad.
  17. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I don't drink when I'm playing, or any other time. And I don't play in bands with people who drink and play. I did that in the 70's, and there was just too much suckage associated with it.

As a result of not drinking any other time, I have absolutely no concern over ever getting a DUI, I know that I'll never kill someone in a highway accident as a result of drinking, and I never wake up with a hangover. It's worth it.
  18. It's always easier for us to find our drummer when it's time to play if he hasn't been drinking. The only way you sound better when drunk is if the audience is even MORE drunk.

And you should always obey the law and never drink while you happen to be 16...

Cloudnine. :p
  19. I don't like drinking. Never drink when i am driving, therefore i don't drink at band rehearsal.

When i drink i go quiet. I am weird and alive when sober.