1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ever play in an Iron Maiden tribute/cover band?

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by krovx, Oct 3, 2010.

1. krovx

krovx Thump or Bust Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2003
    Michigan, USA
    Iron Maiden has always been a special band for me. I am only 26, but I remember first hearing them when I was 8-9 years old thinking they were the coolest thing. I dig a variety of music but have a special place for hard rock and metal, especially the classics.

Whenever I am having a bad day, I just throw on some Maiden and my issues go away. I always get the idea of how cool it would be to play some Maiden tunes but I realize that after playing along with 2-3, those triplets toast my right hand while playing finger style. Makes me give even bigger props to Mr. Harris!

For the most part I have always been in original bands with an occasional cover band here and there, but I think I would enjoy an Iron Maiden band.

What have you guys done?

2. pharmakon

pharmakon

Jun 15, 2010
    Florida
    Whenever we do the trooper, people come out of the woodworks to rock out with us!

And please don't tell me you do the bass parts with a pick! That's an unforgivable sin!!

3. hyp.spec

hyp.spec

May 14, 2006
    Fraser, MI
    There's actually a Maiden tribute band called Seventh Son thats playing at the Ritz in Warren, MI on the 29th... I REALLY wanna go but its my singers wedding... hah...

4. pharmakon

pharmakon

Jun 15, 2010
    Florida
    Go to the show. This may be your only chance to see them, and there will be plenty of chances to see your singer get married :D

5. Samsound

Samsound

Sep 28, 2010
    I was in a Maiden cover band for about a month. I represented Dave. The other guitarist and I meticulously learned the leads, but the drummer couldn't even be bothered to listen to the songs. That didn't work out.

6. bassplayertom77

bassplayertom77

Sep 24, 2008
    I'm playing a show this Saturday in an Iron Maiden cover band in conjunction with a Zombie Walk. Here's our set.
    Aces High
    2 Minutes to Midnight
    The Trooper
    The Wicker Man
    22 Acacia Ave.
    Powerslave
    Rime of the Ancient Mariner
    Number of the Beast
    Run to the Hills

It's a lot of fun, but physically demanding. Every guy in that band is a badass.

7. krovx

krovx Thump or Bust Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2003
    Michigan, USA
    Pick just doesn't get you the right sound. Nothing like triplets with your fingers! My endurance for it sucks and my respect for Mr. Harris increases.

Man, if I wasn't here near Chicago I would make the journey across to state to see that!

Sweet set list. I would love to find a group of committed badasses to do something that cool!

8. RNV

RNV

Apr 13, 2010
    Loxahatchee, Fl
    fEARful (I endorse them, not visa versa)
    My drummer and lead guitarist or in a Maiden tribute here in Florida. It is cleverly named .... Made In Iron.

9. Baron Von Vik

Baron Von Vik

Jun 11, 2010
    Somewhere in Arizona
    Mojo FunkBasses
    It's my dream...

10. WayneS

WayneS

Apr 9, 2007
    Virginia
    I'm a big Maiden fan. Shirts, tattoos, seen them multiple times... etc.

However I dont think I would enjoy a cover band. I actually need more variety.

We do do a few songs though...

(Number Of The Beast(Fill in singer))

11. EdHunter

EdHunter

Jan 14, 2010
    Dublin
    I am an über fan. I mean über. I may only be 17, but I know it all from RttH/FotD to The Aftermath/Drifter/Still Life/Another Life.

What do you guys think of the new album? I'd place it up there with SiT as the second best they've done (after Powerslave).

12. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative

Apr 23, 2006
    Austin, TX
    I got to see the Iron Maidens recently and they were a blast. I have no trouble with tribute bands as long as they are good. There's a local Beatle's tribute band called The Eggmen who are quite good as well. I think they're local, they sure play around here a lot.

13. Lemoore-on

Lemoore-on

May 11, 2008
    The cover band I'm in Played the Trooper when we had 2 gp's. It was a blast to play!

14. I have done thrash metal covers of maiden tunes, and let me tell you, doing the trooper at half again faster tempo is enough to convince me that there is no way I could play a large set list of maiden tunes, let alone be in a tribute band. My forearms were burning and I wasn't even playing all the triplets in the bridge (it was so fast no one would have noticed.) Not only that, playing maiden stuff I have noticed is a lot like many things in life. Doing it is easyish, but doing it well, consitantly and accurately is extremely difficult. Lots of fun though!

15. Oh man, that would be a nightmare to play in a Maiden tribute. All respect to Mr. Harris, cause 2 hours of triplets would be crippling for me. I doubt I could do it, even with massive wood-shedding.

16. AltGrendel

AltGrendel Squire Jag SS fan.

May 21, 2009
    Mid-Atlantic USA.
    Anyone try this stuff on a fretless?

Just curious as to how well it worked if you did.

17. On a 7 string fretless, no less! The really tight string spacing helped, and it had a thick epoxy fingerboard with really low action so it was nice and clanky. However, it sounded nothing like a P bass no matter what I did. Kind of cool I guess, but I'd stick to the fretted 4s for this work.

18. JPaulGeddy

JPaulGeddy Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2007
    South Carolina
    last band I joined, was almost entirely because they did two Maiden songs (Trooper and Run to the Hills). Bought my current fave bass with just those songs in mind. Love love love playing 'em, any and every time.

19. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I play with a pick and I find your statement silly and slightly offensive. ;)

I've played a lot of Maiden songs and, with you, people come from out of nowhere. Where the heck are they during the originals? LOL

20. Lemoore-on

Lemoore-on

May 11, 2008
    Oh yeah, it was a set closer because I was spent afterward!

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 5, 2021