Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ever play in the dark?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Guss, Nov 15, 2002.

1. I've just started experimenting with playing the bass in complete darkness. To me it makes a big difference, one that I could notice right away. It forces you to hear notes instead of look at frets.
    Anyway, I was wondering if this could be considered a good way to prepare for purchasing and playing your first fretlass bass. Is it as similar as I'm thinking? Is it even helpful? I'll keep doing it anyway if it's not because it still helps to hear notes, but I don't want to get my hopes up about it improving my entry-level fretless playing. So, whatdya think?:confused:

2. just_a_poser

just_a_poser

Apr 20, 2002
    It will help your intonation I'm sure, although I think as prepared as you think you are, you still won't be as prepared as you want to be.

All basses are different, the best way to improve your fretless playing will be to play on that fretless.

3. beermonkey

beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    I never play in the dark, but I very often times practice doing very large shifts on the neck without looking at my left hand.

For instance:

- Play a one octave C major scale starting with 3rd fret on your A string, ending with the C on the 5th fret of the G. Shift up to the 15th fret of the A string and play the same scale again, just an octave higher.

- Pick a random note anywhere on the neck, jump to that same note in another position on the neck; preferably one that is a ways away... like the 3rd fret Bb on your G string to the 13th fret Bb on your A string.

4. Nahh, If I close my eyes, I'll just be too tempted to open them. In fact, often I will find myself looking over at the fretboard in pitch black darkness, and then realizing that I can't see it.
    Also, even if you don't need to learn to hear notes, or just have your own way of doing it, I would recomend playing in the dark anyway. It brings serenity and calms your mood. Suddenly I'm not really concentrated on playing the bass, but just playing music, If you get what I mean. Basically it alters your mood, thus altering your playing.

5. sometimes ill blindfold myself.
    so that i dont have to look at the frets so frquently

6. My junior year of high school my band was playing in the original musical The Whereabouts of Wally Dudes written by one of the teachers in my school, and for the intro the stage was pitch black, and I had to play a little riff to introduce everything. No dim blue light at the back for the band or anything, so I was playing entirely by feel. I hit a wrong note once, and cringed, but I don't think anyone in the audience noticed anything. Which is good. :p

7. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    I like to play in the dark actually, I find it's good for getting the mood, especially for jazz. Candles are good, too :) As far as playing in general goes, I find that not looking at what I'm doing (on any instrument) is very good. I find looking at what my hands are doing distracts me from the sound (especially on piano) - which isn't good. So, I think anything that helps you to get out of the habit of looking at your hands is good.

8. stephanie

stephanie

Nov 14, 2000
    Scranton, PA
    They say when you lose one sense your other senses are hightened. I play a lot with my eyes closed. It helps me focus on my hearing better, lets me 'see' the colors in my head, and it takes me to a place where it's just me and the music I'm playing. :)

9. punkfunkfreak

punkfunkfreak

Dec 16, 2001
    I heard running in a straight line whilst playing in the dark is good for technique. Is this true?

:confused:

:D

10. I played my bass as I went to sleep, in my bed, in the dark one night. It was interesting. I got a really good night's sleep (five hours is really good for me), but when I woke up I couldn't find my bass. it was jammed in between my bed and the wall, but no harm was done.

11. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    When you make the switch to fretless your finger position isnt going to be in the same place that it would normally be on a fretted bass in fact I think the note will actually be a little bit flat if you put it in the same place on a fretted. Reason being, on a fretted your finger is slightly behind the fret, on a fretless its right where the fret would actually be.

Someone who plays a fretless can explain further and clarify it a bit better than I can.