Ever Sanded a Gloss Neck to Satin?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by WanderingMorals, Jul 20, 2020.

1. WanderingMorals

WanderingMorals

Jul 14, 2020
    Just bought a new bass. It has a gloss neck, but I am tempted to sand the finish off to make it "satin". I saw a youtube with Scott'sBassLessons suggesting that it was easy and no big deal. What have you all to say? Thanks!!

Smooth_bass88 likes this.
  2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Easy enough to do with a Scotchbrite pad.

3. EitherOr

EitherOr Supporting Member

Jul 14, 2017
    I did this on a Japanese jazz master that had a pretty thick gloss coat. I used 600 grit sand paper. It took only about 3 passes from nut to heel. Made a world of a difference.

4. WanderingMorals

WanderingMorals

Jul 14, 2020
    Do you put anything on the neck after, or just leave it raw so to speak?

5. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Just take it slowly and easy and dust off the powder dust when you're done, good to go. The (usual) idea is to just roughen up the glossy surface, not sand through it (that'd take years with a Scotchbrite lol).

Dynacord, jd56hawk, TrustRod and 3 others like this.
  6. Mantis Tobaggan

Mantis Tobaggan Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2015
    Tampa, FL
    I use 0000 steel wool. Either remove the neck and do it in another room or cover the pickups with painters tape first. Steel wool works great but you don’t want to get that stuff near your pickups. It will make your nitro finished neck feel like satin.

7. Thegrandwazoo

Thegrandwazoo Supporting Member

Sep 8, 2013
    West Virginia
    I do it to any gloss-finished neck I ever own, have for years. I go up through the grits from green to grey or white with ScotchBrite pads. On maple necks, I take them all the way to bare wood with sandpaper (going up from 120-400-grit) and finish them in Birchwood-Casey Tru-Oil and gunstock wax a la Music Man. I simply cannot abide a gloss-finished neck.

8. WanderingMorals

WanderingMorals

Jul 14, 2020
    Copy that, I'm following now

dune and Thegrandwazoo like this.
  9. Mantis Tobaggan

Mantis Tobaggan Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2015
    Tampa, FL
    Be careful with sandpaper because you don’t want to reshape the neck.

10. ZedLepp

ZedLepp

May 12, 2013
    The first thing that I usually do with a new bass is take a scotchbright pad to the back of the neck.
    Wouldn't use sandpaper just as Mantis above me said.

11. mongo2

mongo2

Feb 17, 2008
    Da Shaw
    I've used 0000 steel wool (protected the pickups) or grey ScotchBrite pads. Both worked well for me.

MonetBass and WanderingMorals like this.
  12. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    I had a Luthier do it for me and it turned out great. Like the feel so much better

13. Volker Kirstein

Volker Kirstein Blippy the Wonder Slug

I use 600 grit sandpaper. Just a few swipes along the neck to scuff it, dust it off, and you're good to go. When it glosses up again, and it will, just repeat.

Scotchbright pads work just as well.

:roflmao: You're not using power tools to do this. Reshaping the neck is several days of hard work. It's not gonna happen with a dozen swipes of sandpaper.

14. You definitely do not want to go down to bare wood because it will make the neck very susceptible to moisture going in and out. I use 1000 grit sandpaper (dry) just to take the surface gloss down a bit. Use it very lightly and look at the surface from different angles to tell what’s been sanded. Not a fan of steel wool (sheds metal particles all over and leaves a scratchy surface finish).

15. fermata

fermata

Nov 10, 2015
    Put a piece of tape across the volute/headstock end and the heel end, so you have a nice line. And as said above, you're just taking the gloss off the finish, not sanding through the finish. Over time, it will gloss up again in some areas, at which point you can just give it another steel wool or Scotchbrite or high grit sandpaper pass. (If using steel wool, put painter's tape over your pickup poles, or else!)

16. HardNHeavy

HardNHeavy

Apr 17, 2014
    PA
    yes definitely...over time it will be satin and shiny again from playing..do it!..only use 400-1000 grit paper

WanderingMorals likes this.
  17. mojomike001

mojomike001 Supporting Member

Mar 28, 2013
    South Florida
    Wet sand with 400 grit. It doesn't take much to get a satin finish. No need to sand through the finish. Put a coat of car wax when your done.

18. Smooth_bass88

Smooth_bass88 vaxx!

Oct 31, 2006
    North AMERICA, USA
    Yup, did that to my Geddy Lee bass. I used really fine grit sandpaper. So much better. It's not like it's a super expensive handmade is USA bass so I wasn't that concerned if it turned out crappy. But it turned out awesome.

bassclef112 and WanderingMorals like this.
  19. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Do it. You'll never buy a sticky necked bass again. Go slow, steel wool or very fine grit, light pressure.

WanderingMorals likes this.
  20. I never take off or sand down a gloss finish. Is it causing you any problems? It doesn’t ever bother me. People have been playing with glossy necks even longer than they have been sanding them.....both of which are a long time.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2020
    mikewalker and WanderingMorals like this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 17, 2022