1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ever saw a Singlecut with no top?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by SCMan88, May 14, 2011.

1. SCMan88

SCMan88

May 1, 2011
    Hey.
    I saw many many Singlecut basses on web.
    By now,I saw 0 Singlecut basses that has no top.
    Just found no photo of one that has no top!

Why is that?
    Is it because Singlecut are like..Boutique basses and no one wants to color them up(like any other bass),so they put a beautiful top so the bass will look better than just natural looking wood?

For example I know that many builders of Singlecut basses use Walnut for the body.
    Walnut looks really nice IMO.
    Then why putting a top wood on it?

:meh: I guese my question is kind of dorky/silly,but really...
    Why there is ALWAYS a top?
    The tops are 99% of the time look just amazing,but still.
    :bag:

2. JxBass

JxBass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2008
    I'm no expert on singlecuts but I know that at least some are chambered. A chambered bass will almost always have a top. I know because I'm having a solid body, chambered bass made and I know from discussion with the builder that it's non-trivial to say the least.

3. TechJunky

TechJunky

Aug 31, 2009
    Columbus, OH
    Tom Clement has some singlecuts without tops. Check out his website. Swamp ash, spanish cedar, Paduak, Walnut...just a few I saw in the gallery without tops.

4. SCMan88

SCMan88

May 1, 2011
    Hmmm...Didn't see any Clements without top.
    Probably didn't notice that.

JxBass,I saw Singlcut basses that are Solid Body and Chambered,and in both ways there is always a top on the body's bass.

The top wood gives a better look to the bass,but IMO the natural looks of the wood still looks awesome if its clear.
    Especially Walnut :D...

5. JxBass

JxBass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2008
    Perhaps I could have given a better description. By solid body I meant a one piece body, no top, in which it is difficult to cut a chamber. If you start with a solid body the norm would be to cut off the top part, cut out the chamber, then install a top over it. For example, if you had a standard P-Bass body and wanted to install a chamber how would you do it and keep it as a one piece body with no top? It can be done but not without a lot of complicated, expensive work.

6. fullrangebass

fullrangebass

May 7, 2005
    Europe
    I own a Ken Lawrence Brase 5str and has no top (need to take a picture of it)

7. Antny

Antny

Jan 30, 2011
    New York
    I'm confused. By "top", are you referring to a wood veneer to cover the face of the body?

8. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
  9. SCMan88

SCMan88

May 1, 2011
    Yes.
    Some people call it top cap,if it matters.

And did you like the look of them if they weren't in those colors?
    I mean,if they had the natural color of the wood used for the body?

10. My second Skjold doesn't have a "top", no veneer. My first one does, though.

11. woo10

woo10

Feb 22, 2004
    Benavente basses has a single-cut line with no top, the Standard SCD line, here:
    Benavente Guitars

Pic:
    [​IMG]

12. Anomalous Bass

Anomalous Bass

Mar 29, 2011
    That one in the pic has a top, but youre right, they do offer that model with an ash body and no top.

13. fish slapper

fish slapper

Nov 17, 2005
    Newberg, OR
    126atGTG.

Here's my Clement. I think it qualifies. That's un-topped swamp ash.

14. G&L ASAT?

15. woo10

woo10

Feb 22, 2004
    I thought that the "top" in the pic was just the body wood (could be ash) that has been stained or tinted. Yet again, I'm no expert.
    I have seen at least one such model at The Low End with solid black color, I can't find it now.

16. Anomalous Bass

Anomalous Bass

Mar 29, 2011
    You can see the top over te body wood in the pic. A body could be tinted as you mentioned with a masked off area around the body. That isnt alder though, its mahogony body with walnut top. Walnut is pretty easy to spot in a lot of cases.

17. danomite64

danomite64

Nov 16, 2004
    Tampa, Florida
    ASAT01.

18. smperry

smperry Administrator Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    I wanted them to have colors; I already had two with tops (see below). They looked fine when they were unfinished; the red one is ash and the green one is poplar. I just wanted two with colors. I love them all:)

5726615526_6802feeedf_b.

19. Given that single cuts are almost always custom, I don't see having no top being too problematic for most builders. Keep in mind that some of their construction might utilize a top wood to cover up chambers or may be part of the neck joint.