Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ever seen a pro and been surprised by their gear?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Skel, Mar 1, 2006.

1. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Just wondering if any of you have ever gone to a concert or seen a famous player, and you were really surprised by what they were using. Like if you saw Geddy Lee playing an SX or something.

I saw Rush a couple of years ago, and since my brother-in-law was part of the road crew, I got back stage passes. I met Geddy and Alex before I saw the stage. At the time I was heavily into guitar and not bass, so I was talking to Alex. Geddy is a very polite guy and is very quiet unless you talk to him. While talking to Alex, I asked him if he was using Marshalls - just thinking of something to say, you know (your standing there with Geddy and Alex trying not to throw up!). To my surprise, he told me he was using Hughes & Kettner. I thought H&K only made effects pedals and stuff. I asked him if these amps had EL34's, and it was funny - he had no idea what I was talking about. Anyway, he had the most beautiful cluster of 4 H&K Triamp MK II half stacks. I was 5th row center, and it was at Red Rocks ampitheater in the mountains outside of Denver. Their opening song was some kind of 15 minute instrumental (probably a sound check), and it was *so* good that I swear, I almost fell down.

Skel

2. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    I think H&K are much better known in Europe as amp manufacturers.

One thing I was really surprised to see is Brian Bromberg doing a Dean signature model. Two things I never thought would go together. I hear it's a quality instrument, though.

3. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I much preferred Brians old Peavey basses...

Not so much a pro, but I know a guy from a local funk band who has a Warwick Streamer Stage II at home and for recording, yet plays a (fairly decent) MIM Jazz bass live. He worries about getting his Warwick damaged live, so he sticks with the old bass. They sound so much better live than on CD, but the bass tone on record is a million miles ahead of his live tone.

He's not really a pro but it's an interesting little anecdote.

4. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Man. You would be doing that guy a favor to "accidentally" bang it against the wall and put a ding in it. Then he would own the bass, and not the other way around. I refuse to be owned by a musical instrument. I've had stuff that I would be bummed if it got dinged, but if it sounds good, I'm playing it, no matter where it is. But that's me.

Skel

5. MazeMouse

MazeMouse

Jan 27, 2005
    Netherlands
    I've seen the bassist of Bløf (quite a big dutch band) using OLP basses (as opposed to MM stingrays)

And Ad from Epica uses his Epiphone Les Paul on stage almost everytime

6. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    That, that reminds me. My wife is a Christian, so I went with her to see a Christian band called "Third Day". This guy had an older Marshall half-stack and he was playing an Epiphone Les Paul - exceptional tone. Maybe he spent the $500.00 bucks on the Epi, then another $200 on some very good pickups.

Skel

7. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Rufus Philpot with an Ibanez Roadgear - prefers it over the Ken Smith I've seen in pics with him!

Jeff Berlin. His Dean signature models. Definitely not what you'd call high end, but does have Barts.

Same goes for Bromberg, but he was noted earlier.

8. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Jaco and a defretted jazz bass?

Tony Levin and an OLP?

9. Skel

Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    I admire musicians who don't give a **** what anybody thinks, and they play what they like.

Skel

10. Regi Wooten plays an old Japanese Squier Strat through a processor and an old peavy amp. When I'm at lessons, he likes to turn down the volume of my basses (MIA jazz with Lace Sensors when I started, now a Benavente) and turn up the Peavey so we can hear the "tone of the amp." Go figure.

11. dirtgroove

dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Regi Wooten is your teacher???

12. dirtgroove

dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Duh... Just checked your profile. Apparently he is.... .. man- can he play. interesting family.

13. machine gewehr

machine gewehr

Sep 17, 2005
    Istanbul
    Last week I watched a concert of Wootens,I was like "what the hell is happening?" like every time I watch Wic. and I saw Regi with a white strat that looks old but killer.And I saw the headstock and ıt was written Squier (WOW!!),its so cool indeed.

14. jasper383

jasper383 Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    It is funny that often the fans know so much more about the gear than the players. Lifeson probably has never looked into what kind of tubes are in there.

Someone asked one of the Beatles (I think it was Paul) what strings he used, and he said, "the long shiny ones."

Mick Ronson wanted a new guitar, and requested one with the "one bit pickups". He apparently didn't know the names for single coil or humbucker pickups. He just knew what he wanted.

15. rebelbass

rebelbass

Feb 16, 2006
    New Jersey
    I used to work for Dynacoustics in New Jersey,they manufactured speaker cabinets (GK & Hartke used to be made there). We also made Dave LaRue's rigs when he started out.Now he does endorsements for big companys. Most pro's play professional,top-line gear because they get it for free and sometimes get paid to play them.

16. Maverick Blues

Maverick Blues Being a Thumper is all about ATTITUDE!

Apr 28, 2005
    Richmond, VA
    Amen.

'rick

17. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    I think you're right about that. Many times, the artist is playing some pawn shop find and know very little about the instrument, other than it has the tone they desire. Heck, some of them just pick the instrument because of the look.

18. SteveC

SteveC Supporting Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    That may serve as a soundcheck song, but I'm pretty sure they get time to do a real soubnd check. If it's the same as the R30 DVD, I think it's a way to play through a bunch of tunes that people want to hear but that they don't have time to do in full during the concert.

It kicks.

19. JHL

JHL

Apr 8, 2005
    London, England
    I was surprised to see Tom Jenkinson/Squarepusher using a 6-string Warwick Corvette... just blows my mind that he can do what he does on a bass like that :]

20. Is a Warwick Corvette perceived that badly?