Ever seen a pro use a variax live?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by The_D, Jan 16, 2006.

1. The_D

The_D Well, thats like your opinion. Man...

Mar 20, 2004
    Fife, Scotland
    I only ask 'cause I was watching Jools Holland a week or 2 ago and there was a Scottish Dance/Electronic guy named Milo/My codename is Milo (never sure what he is going by now) and his bass player was playing a Variax. Thought it was a bit strange cause his tone didnt seem to change much when they played different songs. I thought that was the whole point of the Variax:confused:
  2. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Well, maybe he didn't want to change the tone?

Also i'd say the Variax is more of a recording bass. I don't see it too often being played out.

3. nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    Will Lee used one to emulate an upright on Letterman - I think it was Better Midler doing "Fever". Having played the guitar version, I wouldn't want one - there's a delay factor. Tiny, but I take my time very seriously.
  4. The_D

Mar 20, 2004
    Fife, Scotland
    Good point about the tone thing.

Also Jools Holland is a small studio kind of set up so its not like a big concert show. Maybe that would justify it.
    I was reading another thread about the Variax and was just wondering.
  5. but if you realize its there I'm sure its something you coudl take into account the same way a marching band player has to take phasing into account
  6. nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    Marching bands don't find their way into recording studios terribly often...:D
  7. froovs

Mar 17, 2005
    the milo guy's band all use electronic instruments live to recreate the record as closely as possible..

the guitarist uses a variax and the drummer has an electronic kit too

8. The_D

Mar 20, 2004
    Fife, Scotland
    Hey Froovs another Scot on TB. Good to know.
  9. Saw Rob Little use one to great effect playing with Geoff Achison. everyone else in the band (as well as myself) was blown away by how it sounded
  10. ArwinH

ArwinH run rabbit run

Dec 1, 2005
    Southern California
    I saw shania twain on some talk show and both of ehr guitar palyers as well as her bass player used variax models
  11. I posted this this like 5-6 months back, but i saw the gypsy kings when they came to town, and their bassist played a variax 4 stringer.
    He had pretty much what sounded like a P-bass, or thunderbird type tone, thumpy, w/ lots of fullness, 99% of the nite, but when it came time to solo, he flicked the knob and went into fretless mode, it sounded really neat; pretty mwah, and expression. I thought wow -what a great application of the technlogy, but just those 2 tones
  12. yeah, I saw that Milo performance on Later. the bass just sounded like it had an envelope filter on it.