Ever seen those..

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Tsal, May 27, 2001.

1. Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    ..old, worn-out, abused beginner level cheap basses have that 'something'?

It's everytime I have changed school, there has been some cheap-ass banged-to-the-floor-and-abused-the-hell-outta-it style bass like worn-out 80's Yamaha BB or something waiting for me at the new school, and when you plug it in to that ancient 80w 1x15" combo that stands at the corner it sounds well not excatly a Fodera but it still has definite groovy sound in it that's enough to drive the whole building up the interstate and way to the next county?

What makes it? The roundwound nickles last changed 10 years ago? The endless stream of students plucking on it? The thousands of hours of playing it has seen? The cracked paint and missing knobs? What?

I don't know, but I'd buy one of these basses any time.
  2. that "played by so many friggin' people" thing. It's like a baseball glove. When you buy a new one, it feels really stiff and uncumffy. And after you wear it out a bit (yea, even 10 years), it feels just right.
  3. Angus

Angus Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2000
    Palo Alto, CA
    I don't know about you, but the bass at my school blows. An old Fender Musicmaster. Sounds like nothing.

My fretless, however, sounds fantastic played through the Vintage Fender cab...
  4. The bass at my old high school is among the 3 worst basses I've ever played. The only thing it seemed to have was some sort of disease.

My first bass, a Peavey Fury that I bought used for cheap, definitely has that intangible sort of beatup goodness to me.
  5. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    The one at my school is the runner up for worst bass ever in the feel category (right behind the Dearmond Pilot, with it's 1 inch nut...geez...) and the worst in setup. I would only buy it to burn/dismember/violently end that POS...