Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ever shipped an amp/speaker on a GrayHound?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rockbobmel, Dec 9, 2002.

1. Rockbobmel

Rockbobmel Supporting Member

I got a quote from the seller for $120. instead of $180 for FedEx.

It has to be changed over once. from Illinois to Mass.

2. When I was little my dad was always using "the Dog" to transport "critical components" back and forth to California b/c some space cadet out there was the only person on earth who undertood how to fix them. Anyway, I remember that (Greyhound) being REAL expensive. Seeing your post in another thread that mentioned this caused me to remember this earlier. And a bass cab is big and heavy (of course) which "should" make it pricier.

What's the weight limit for FedEx now? I thought it was 150 lbs. like UPS. What's the cab weigh?

Sounds like a bargain to me if it's a big cab.

3. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    All I can say is that I've shipped myself on a Grayhound several times, and if how they treat a human is any indication I'd drive and pick up the cab myself. :D

But seriously, I've seen Grayhound throw packages around, leave them sitting in the rain - you name the horror story, it's probably happened. I've personally had luggage lost and never recovered (tracking numbers are decoration to them).

I'd go with an "name-brand" shipping company. The risk is just too great.

4. Rockbobmel

It's 168 lbs. And there is a size limit to UPS.

I am worried about damage and/or neglect.

5. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    UPS's size limit is 120 inches in length and girth and 150 lbs. Fed Ex's is 200 in length and girth and... I'm not sure what their weight limit is. What cab are you trying to ship?

6. Rockbobmel

A Mesa PowerHouse 1000 RodReady. (4-10s & 1-15)

7. I got my custom 2x15 combo cab shipped to me on Greyhound because it was too big for anyone else other than freight companies ($$$). The price was good, and it got from Texas to Georgia in just 2 days. No problems whatsoever. They save money because you have to come down to the bus station to pick it up. Mine was packed extremely well, and I'd recommend that yours be packed extremely well too, just in case.

Chris

8. When I was in college (100 yrs ago:p ) I worked at the bus terminal in Fairmont WV. I would never ship anything that way (I'll just leave it at that)

9. Mike

Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    Cali
    Try Greyhound. Every shipping company has horror stories but 99.9% of the time, things are good. Otherwise, none of them would survive.

10. secretdonkey

secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I've shipped things by Greyhound with no problems. One was a vintage kidney-shaped glass coffee table I bought off Ebay (they still make those, if ya got $2500 or better to spare). Other shipping options were hideously expensive, and Grayhound saved the day. Well packed, the glass table top arrived in perfect condition.

I agree that Greyhound is at least as likely as any other carrier to be negligent. Look into insurance options - I can't remember what they are.

FWIW, I've been using FedEx Ground for large items, like auto parts and bass cabs. I believe you're within their weight limit, and they've been cheaper than UPS on the things I've compared. I just had a Goliath III shipped from New York to Texas for under $50, in 4 days. Insured for $500, no less.

You can get an instant, free rate quote at the Fedex website, too, by supplying the pertinent spec's.

11. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    sounds like animal cruelty.

brad cook