Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ever sold a bass that you regretted......enough to buy back?!?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by kelbrihan, Sep 13, 2005.

1. kelbrihan

kelbrihan Banned [Deceiving users with multiple usernames] Banned

Dec 2, 2004
    Funny story, After trying to sell my Fodera Emperor 5 several times here, I put it up on Ebay and it sold to a guy in California. I shipped it to him and before he even received it9 thank God it takes 5 days to get there) I had contacted him about buying it back. I just couldn't get over it. He understood how bad that I had regretted it and told me to refund his money and he would refuse delivery. I did , he did and 5 days later I had it back in my grateful hands. He told me that he was glad that he didn't open it or he would have kept it. I vowed never to sell it again. Has anyone else done this before or am I obsessive/compulsive?

2. 20one

20one

Jan 10, 2003
    Abilene, TX
    I wish I still had my first bass... it was a POS but I sure wish I still had it =P

3. Bassconbeatz

Bassconbeatz Way down low Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Porter Ranch, CA
  4. I'd buy back my old 8-string Warr Guitar:

[​IMG]

- Dave

5. this Ibanez SR1000 (older one) with stock EMGs I sold to someone on TB that lives I believe in OHIO (have the shipping info somewhere).

I want to find out if he is still here on this site. I loved that bass for certain styles of music.
    If I find him, there is a good chance I will buy it back from him

6. kelbrihan

kelbrihan Banned [Deceiving users with multiple usernames] Banned

Dec 2, 2004
    No wonder you were willing to do that, that bass is beautiful. I'm glad that it worked out for everyone involved. :hyper:

7. Yeah, my first bass, about 20some years ago, was a hoyer hollowbody. I traded it for a Hohner Jack, the dumm-ass that I was. Last year I traded a Hoyer T-Stax and a pretty dead Guild Starfire (is that right?) for a new 5-string Sandberg California - P Special Imbuya, which I like very much, but I really miss that Hoyer. Gimme a hanky, I hate myself. :bawl:

Jens

8. Mr_Dave

Mr_Dave

Mar 11, 2005
    Melbourne, Australia
    Employee - Basscentre Melbourne
    yeah,

bought back my squire jv series p bass. from the shop i sold it threw on consignment. at a loss

its still waiting to have a refret (its fretless.)

9. Knavery

Knavery

Feb 24, 2004
    Denver, CO
    Well, I'm about to find out if I regret my decision. I purchased a Fender American Deluxe Ash a couple months back, and love it. However, I found one that I really wanted--the Warwick 2004 FNA ltd. Hopefully, I won't regret my decision, because I am a bit hurt that I have to part with the Fender. However, I'll still have my MIA Fender Jazz passive bass. :)

Attached Files:

10. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    Nope. Once I get to the point where I actually sell the bass, I had decided long before it is what I wanted to do. The buyer was super nice. If I had been the buyer, I would have told you too bad. When I find myself that wishy washy on selling a piece of gear, I hold off on selling it altogether.

-Mike

11. To answer your question, no.

I've only ever had 5 basses and still have 4...the one I sold was a Peavey B-90 which I liked, but the truss rod was bent and I couldnt get a tool on it to adjust it so the neck eventually developed this huge relief that I just could NOT deal with, even though I did like the way it sounded...I sold her for $150...

I do regret selling one of my rigs, however, a Carvin RL615...but I just couldn't get her to make the trip here to australia (too too heavy) so I sold her for $550 I think...I paid $800 for it and it was like brand new...

why do I regret selling it? Because amplifiers are OUTRAGEOUSLY EXPENSIVE here...:( :(

12. zandar

zandar

Jul 8, 2005
    Seattle, WA
    Not a bass...but I desparately wish I *could* buy back a Mark I Fender Rhodes I sold...to a good home, except the home was susceptible to flooding and the Rhodes lived in the basement. :crying:

I don't sell musical instruments anymore...it's just not worth it, especially if you bought them new. Having said that...I'm okay with not owning my first bass anymore, snarky beast that it was.

13. But that's only because you bought a fodera in the first place, food "Is" overrated. :) Any way, I had a run of self induced bad luck and had to part with all of my gear at one time but a 100 dollar used peavey foundation. I really regret getting rid of my six string carvin, which I payed 1600 bucks for, but sold for about 700, and a mesa boogie guitar cab that a friend sold me for 400 bucks, i think it was mark II if that sounds right, single 12, all tube, all oak cabinet, stupidest decision I ever made knowing what I know now. I do have much better gear now, but I still miss that six string, I need to get another, c'mon student loans. I've also lost some gear to the pawn shop, and have two basses in their right now, trying to make ends meet waiting on my gibill. Don't sell anything you don't have to sell is my advice.

14. strummer

strummer

Jul 27, 2005
    Sweden
    Hmm, that is one strange geetar...
    Strap button placement is odd, and it looks like it's strung righty with lefty-controls???
    Please enlighten me :)

15. Cool thread. Nice stories.

I still own my first bass: A passive Warwick Corvette Standard.

Sold a Stingray 5 but don't miss it. Didn't like the color of it anyway; loved the sound and it played like heaven but I can still get another one that I'd prolly like more (other color). I'm waiting for those two humbuckers Stingray 5... uw yeah.

Also bought a Warwick Corvette FNA Jazzman LTD 2002 lately and I've sold it not even two months later. It was a great bass and I looked for it like three years now (there's only twohundred around) because imho it's got this very awesome finish and wood but I couldn't justify keeping it. Don't miss it.

Had an Ibanez ATK305... Good bass but no real soul in the sound.

All in all; I haven't found a bass that beats the perfection of my G&L L-2000. To end this story: I haven't ever bought back a bass... maybe some day.

16. It's a tap-style instrument... you don't hang it around like a normal bass, but more like an electric upright bass.

The EQ section is on the right, because it'S easier this way, when you play it tap-style.

17. strummer

strummer

Jul 27, 2005
    Sweden
    Ah, like that board thing Tony Levin plays, but with a nicer shape then :)
    Thank you for enlightening me!

18. jz0h4d

jz0h4d

Apr 26, 2005
    Yeah a 66 red Jazz bass with awide maple telecaster bass neck. It had a Bad ass bridge on it and years of my sweat. It was sold out of Joe's music in east Detroit and i'm willing to buy it back anytime.

19. bovinehost

bovinehost

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    The Short Story of Heinz The Wonder Bass:

"..through all the trades and deals and purchases and sales, Heinz was the one bass that I always thought of as non-negotiable. I was stuck with Heinz, and he with me, mostly because it was a damned fine bass, but also because I doubted anyone else could defend that color.

Heinz In Original Shape:

[​IMG]

And so it went for a few years. Over the summer of 2003, I'd gone back to playing a lot of four string, so Heinz wasn't getting as much action as he once had. (For two years, I hardly played anything other than Heinz!) I had also developed a real thing for rosewood fingerboards, and had picked up a couple of other Stingray Fivers with rosewood....and Heinz sat upon his stand, ever the icon but not so much a main player anymore.....

And one night, while chatting with a bunch of other crazy bassists, it occurred to me that it was just TIME for someone else to take care of Heinz, to be the caretaker of this lunatic looking thing that played like crazy. And that, I believed at the time, was that.

Heinz had some adventures! He served his country briefly and had some scary experiments performed on him by a mad Army scientist. Thus the fretless board you see here:

[​IMG]

Then he was traded away - oh, the horror, the horror! - for an actual six string guitar - at least it was a Telecaster. The Tele Trader took Heinz to (yes, it's getting worse before it gets better) a GUITAR CENTER along the Eastern Seaboard. I don't know what he got for poor old Heinz, but that's where Heinz was hanging when he was rescued by some who knew the story. So again, Heinz was briefly owned and then sold or traded away to Horace Kwan, a nice fellow I know from the Dudepit.

Horace took Heinz in and eventually found the fretted rosewood board you see in the latest photos, which were actually taken by Horace:

[​IMG]

And so it went.

Horace and Heinz got along fabulously for the better part of a year, which is a very long time by Dudepit Bass Whore standards. Then one day in September of 2004, I received an email from Horace. He was looking to make some changes - would I be interested in re-acquiring Heinz? I had just sold a fabulous Stingray 5, thinking the money would go towards a single pickup Bongo, but there it was - fate, destiny, kismet.

Heinz was for sale and I had the money. I did what you would expect me to do. And so Heinz is sitting here beside me as I write, and plays better than ever.

20. Almost! Funny story, after trying to sell my Lakland 55-94 deluxe several times here, I finally got 2 guys who were really interested. The ONLY reason I wanted to get rid of it was that I really want a Sadowsky. As I was about to close the sale, I decided I couldn't get rid of such a beautiful instrument. I knew that if I did, I would regret it forever. Instead, I have started saving gig money in order to order a new Sadowsky. It might take a little longer but I will be able to keep the cherryburst Lakland. :hyper:

If my wife doesn't get her paws on my gig $$$, I should be able to get it in a few months. :)

Also, I have always said that I will never sell my '77P-bass as it was my first major investment. I bought it when I was 15 (in 1985) and took alomst all my savings to get it. I don't play it much these days, but I always said I would hang it on the wall before I sell it. Pure sentimental value.

On a different note, I sold an Alembic F-1X I wish I still had. At the time, I found it didn't cut through all that well. Turns out the problem was the Eden 210XLT. I wish I could try the F-1X with my 2 EA CXL112 now. Oh well, at least I was able to get the iAmp800. Now you guys are giving me major GAS for Accugroove. Sometimes I hate this place! :bag:

Lager,
    Rocky