1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ever start to fall in love with a bass that isn’t you?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Wesley R, Aug 22, 2012.

1. Wesley R

Wesley R Supporting Member

Ever start to fall in love with a bass that isn’t the typical you? Did it work out in the long run?

I may have. I am a traditionalist old guy, P’s, J’s., old Guilds and such. Tape wounds, and flats, and passive.

With an hour to kill, I stop at GC and ask my girlfriend what she like the looks of. Next thing I know, the bass in my hands feels good (still will end up at my set up guy before it comes home), and sounds ok enough for sure. It is active with Bartolini’s and some budget pre-amp. Not the worlds best, yet works for me. I know not of active stuff. More than light enough, hangs well, fits well sitting (think fool on a stool), String spacing is good, neck somewhat thin, yet comfy to me.

I would post a pic, but none are available, that I could find. Ibanez SR500QM.

2. msb

msb

Jul 3, 2002
    Halifax,N,S. Canada
    There'in lies madness

3. smither12

smither12

Aug 16, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    I have that same bass! It is indeed very nice, and you can get some really good tones from the Bartolini's. Definitely a comfy bass.

4. agreed i own a sr500 and the more i play it the more i love it!! great tone for not a high end bass!! well worth the money

5. and actually if you went to the roseville store in the twin cities, that is where i purchased mine. seeing you are from minnesota!!

6. emblymouse

emblymouse Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2006
    W'Sconsin
    Lakland Artist Endorser
    I was totally blindsided by a Bongo 5HH I got in a trade. I was about to have a custom 5'er made for me I was so sure I knew exactly what it needed to be. I love this thing:cool:

7. Wesley R

Wesley R Supporting Member

That is the store we were in. We were meeting some folks at a place close to there and we were an hour early. I prefer the Woodbury store, smaller, friendlier etc. Much less stock. My X wife did buy me a double cut Les Paul from the Woodbury store.

8. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon. Supporting Member

I traded a Bongo HH 5er for a Modulus Quantum 5 as I figured I could flip the Modulus for more $$$. I didn't expect to like the Modulus as i hated my EBMM Stingray 100th Anni NAMM that has a graphite neck.

In any case... best bass I have ever heard/owned and I have owned a ton! I have 2 Quantums now and have been gas free for a few months now (a record for me!).