Ever swtich with the guitarist at a show

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Bob Clayton, Sep 10, 2003.

1. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    ok so my band is playing at a battle of the bands...and during our last song there is a break where its just me an the drummer...so im figuring after i play it for 4 (or 8) measures, i will stop, give my bass to the guitarist...i grab his guitar....he plays the rythem for another 4(or 8) measures... then i finish the song on guitar and he finishes on bass...

have you done it? how did it work out?
    what are some possible pros and cons?

(the show is on the 21st)
  2. Go for it,the crowd would like it...just don't drop either guitar...hehe.

Good luck man:)

Oh...and make sure you guys practice it.
  3. Bob Clayton

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    yeah we been practicin it alot...i've gotten pretty good...he still can't do some of the stuff i do...but its getting there
  4. In my old band, the rythm and drums switched place, the sax and singer didn't notice at all.
  5. steve-o

steve-o Guest

Apr 17, 2002
    me and my guitarist might do it....he plays bass in another band..is so bada**...he writes the catchest and most insane ska/punk beats....
    but what is funny is that out of that band the best guitarist are playing bass and drums. o well

6. A local band here years ago used to do a thing where the two guitarists would reach over and fret each other's axe during a double solo. Looked pretty neat, though I'm sure it took a bit of rehearsal...
  7. fastplant

Sep 26, 2002
    My guitarist and I do this on a few songs. One suggestion, make sure it's a quick exchange. I say this because switching guitars sounds like it would be really quick, but once you're on stage it actually takes a little time.
  8. jive1

jive1 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member Commercial User

Jan 16, 2003
    Owner/Retailer: Jive Sound
    I have done this before. The thing for me is getting adjusted to playing with a pick and the tight string spacing on those skinny necks.
  9. stuie86

May 9, 2003
    mckinney, tx
    i play both, mostly bass and enough guitar to get me by. ive never done the swicth before but his right it will take longer on stage.... dont know why, it just does

but that double solo freting thing sounds really cool, i would pay money to see that:p
  10. Well, sort of.

I often hand my bass to one of the guitar players so I can play keyboards.

Actually, I've had audience members comment that they really like it when bandmembers switch instruments. Different people singing & playing different instruments adds variety to the overall sound, and that's a good thing. (providing that the result doesn't sound like a washing machine full of gravel falling down a stairwell :meh: ).

11. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Thatd be cool as long as you dont take long betweent he transition. If you take 3 mins to switch guitars, itd suck, but if u whip it off and kinda chuck /hand it to him, itd be "da roxorz"
  12. Bob Clayton

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ

yeah thats what we're working on, a quick change...before that song i would adjust my strap to his level (i am a bit taller than him) and play the 1st part of teh song like that...

then when he stops playing he would adjust his strap to my level...take the guitar off and hand it to someone (on the side of the stage), then i would give him my bass

and while hes playing i would get his guitar from the side of the stage
  13. tonedeaf

tonedeaf Supporting Member

Before I became a bass player I was a singer in 4-piece band (guitar, drums, bass, vocals). Anyway, we had a song that was sort of ska-esque, and the bassist was a great sax player as well. Toward the end of that song, he would hand me his bass and I would play a simple bassline (nothing nearly as cool as what he had been playing, didn't really know what I was doing at that point) and he would take a sax solo. The crowds always liked that sort of thing.

Pros: Added variety to the show, crowds dug it, it was fun as a bandmember to do something you don't normally do.

Cons: He was WAY shorter than me, and strap adjustments take a long time (in the middle of a song, even a few seconds is a long time), so a lot of times I just sat on something and held the bass in my lap. Taking off one instrument and strapping on another takes a lot longer than you might think, so be sure to practice it.
  14. Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Sounds like a decent plan. Maybe instead of him adjusting the strap, maybe the guy he gives it to could do it, just so save time.
  15. DaveyMangles

Jun 12, 2003
    when i was at a Zeke show, one of the opening bands (the Catheders) had two guitar players...one on either side of the stage and during the last song they both threw their respective guitars to eachother in the air...caught them, then finished the song on the other guys guitar. still one of the coolest things i've seen live to this day. i'd be scared to death to ever try it though...
  16. My band had one punk rock song that we played mid set and I went to drums, the drummer sang, the singer played guitar, and the guitarist played bass. We kept that for the next song which was always "Sober" by Tool. The only cover we everplayed
  17. Cephalic Carnage does this all the time, for whole sets most of the time. There bass-player switched to guitar, and there guitarist switched to bass. But the last time I saw them they went back to the original way. Very awesome.
  18. does throwing my bass across stage, then grabbing my guitarist's guitar and wanting to hit him with it count?? :D :p
  19. lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA