Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ever tried a Godin BG4?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by philthygeezer, Dec 12, 2003.

1. philthygeezer

philthygeezer

May 22, 2002
  2. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    I have the Freeway 4 and really like it. The BG4 is a much better bass and plays extremely well IMO. Just didn't have the cash for it. It's on my wish list.

Dan :bassist:

3. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Do a search on my Godin thread from about a month or so ago. There were several posts there about Godin. It can be found here

They are truly nice basses.

Dan

4. That thread was informative, and I know who to complain to now if I don't like the Freeway (haven't tried it enough to really give a good estimate), but there was essentially nothing on the BG4. I personally liked it when I played it, although the one I played came from the factory with two internal pots that hadn't been adjusted at all, according to the resident Bass Guy at the local music store. He set it up himself, and he's willing to give me a deal on it, which is pretty sweet.

Without getting my hands on the instrument again, I don't have much else to tell you, but try it out if you can, it's a quality bass. I don't know if there's a Godin dealer where you live - everyone and their dog sells Godins here in London (Ontario, not England), but I'd check around.

5. philthygeezer

philthygeezer

May 22, 2002
    Thanks,

What do you mean by 'pots weren't adjusted'? Does that have an effect on the sound or volume?

6. I can't remember exactly which settings they were, but there were apparently 2 potentiometers (pots) that were either set to an extreme or just randomly set (I wasn't told which) - I believe one controlled the frequency for the midrange knob, I can't remember the other. These 2 pots are inside the control cavity, so you need to open up the back to adjust them.

The midrange sweep control would definitely have an effect on your sound if you touched the midrange control at all, as that knob would adjust a different frequency depending on what that internal pot is set to. The other one - I can't recall what it is, but I imagine it has something to do with tone or sound or it wouldn't be attached to a bass guitar. :p

7. philthygeezer

philthygeezer

May 22, 2002
    Thanks,

The deal is that I own a Godin BG4 that I really like, and want to see what others think about theirs.

My Godin:
    [​IMG]

I also have an American Hot Rod P and a beautiful MM Stingray. The Godin is easily as good as the other two and I think its construction is on a higher level. Tonally, the thing is amazing too, and the neck is easier to play on! My only gripe is that it's kind of quiet for an active bass.

It's no big deal; it's just that I like my basses to be near the same volume level when I switch between them.

So now I wonder if one can set the volume pot higher...? :confused: :confused: