1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ever tried flats on a Barker?

Discussion in 'Barker Bass Forum' started by Daniel Elliott, Mar 19, 2009.

1. Hey Lee. Have you or do you know anyone who uses flatwounds? I was thinking about trying a set of D'addario chrome flatwounds on the one I have. If you recall its tuned BEAD. How do you think it will effect it?

2. Ed Goode

Ed Goode Jersey to Georgia Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    I only use flatwounds on my B1 and they work great! I have tried the D'addario chromes as well as TI flats, but I prefer the LaBella's Deep Talkin' Flat Wounds 760FM-B (49-69-89-109-128). Heavier tension (which I like) and very expressive tone .... :cool:

3. JKT

JKT

Apr 30, 2007
    Buffalo NY
    Endorsing Artist: Barker Basses
    Putting LaBella Deep Talkin Flats on my 4 str Brio did nothing but improve the sound of it. Great sounding strings.

JKT

4. Lee Barker

Lee Barker Labor of evident value satisfies the soul. Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2005
    Redmond, Oregon
    owner, Barker Musical Instruments, maker of the Barker Bass, No Longer In Production.
    Hi Dan! Great to hear from you!

Well, you've heard from two of the experts, and there are many more. When I got knee deep in Brio country I did flats and roundwoundgrounddowns and ended up personally preferring the latter.

Full disclosure is, I haven't experimented stringwise that much with a B1 (a very early model of which you have) so you'll be the expert when you try 'em. Let us know.

I missed seeing you at NAMM this year. We'll be back!

5. Well I went ahead and did it. I had a little trouble getting the B string to fit through the hole in the bridge but eventually got it. The set I put on there were D'Addario Chrome flatwounds 132, 100, 80, and 65. I did notice that there was perceptively less sustain. Now the sustain is about the same as my Zon bass. The thing I was surprised about was how much my fingers hurt from the friction after playing on them for awhile. No blisters but definitely sore. I wonder if nickel flats would be smoother. I suppose I can keep a chicken bone in the gig bag to lube up before playing:D (obscure Jaco urban legend).

I've only played it through my studio monitors at home but will be trying it out at church this Sunday.

Incedentally, I used my B1 (is that the model name?) for the first time in a live setting last month. I intended to use it only on a couple of songs but had such a blast playing it that I ended up using it for the whole set. We had three services and in each service, I had at least 3 or 4 guys send their wives up to ask me about it. Alota wimpy men out there I guess.:rolleyes:

anyway, the Barker bass made the whole room shake. It was a completely different tonal experience from playing a regular bass. Can't wait to try it again this week. And this time with flatwounds.:bassist:

6. Well we did three services. The first one was a near train wreck. The second two went better. I spent all kinds of time rehearsing for this gig and I still blew it. Of course the rest band didn't fair much better but I'm not responsible for them.

Anyway, the flatwounds sounded good. Still no blisters and my fingers seem to be getting used to the chrome but I'm still wrestling with the bass. Having a hard time getting used to playing in a vertical position. And the fact that its tuned BEAD is adding to the challenge.

Despite the setbacks, I'm really enjoying learning how to play this thing.

7. yodedude2

yodedude2 Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2005
    san antonio, texas
    i'm arriving late to the party here, what else is new...i have flats on all my basses, usually la bella nylon tapewounds, also a couple with low-tension t-i jazz flats. my barker b-1 has labellas. plays great, feels great, sounds great. huzzah! later, ron

btw, i use a normal 4-string la bella nylon set and tune it to d-g-c-f, down one whole step from standard.