1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ever turned a favorite bass into junk?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Flgc2017, May 18, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Flgc2017

Flgc2017

Apr 29, 2017
    Just for fun.
    Have any of you turned a favorite bass into junk trying to make it cooler? Lol
    I decided one day my jazz bass would sound heavenly with. Music man pickup in the bridge position. Only thing was...i didn't have the right tools and ended up butchering the heck out of my bass And the music man pickup was a bust.
    I ended up with an ugly hole in the body with the original jazz pickup reinstalled.
    Still sounds good though....got a Godzilla sticker over it and my girlfriend calls me "the guitar serial killer"
    Lol

Wisebass, kodiakblair and shadowtippy like this.
  2. I've not done anything like that since I started paying for my own gear in my late teens. ;)

Glad you bass is still playable.

Rattman and Flgc2017 like this.
  3. SpazzTheBassist

SpazzTheBassist

Jun 20, 2006
    unfortunately, yes, when i was a kid...It was a Lincoln P-Bass copy...it was an excellent instrument: I know that now, but didnt know it then -- I added a pickup to it and repainted it, both not very professionally

Flgc2017 likes this.
  4. barginkov

barginkov

Feb 1, 2012
    L.I. New York
    I bought a brand new musicman stingray in 79 . Stripped the finish and painted it black. Then ripped out the preamp and left it without a preamp..
    I always thought youth was wasted on the young

5. Flaked Beans

Flaked Beans

Sep 9, 2005
    NYC
    [​IMG]

6. alack

alack

Nov 20, 2000
    Florida
    Oh, I'm pretty sure on more than one occasion a line or two I played reduced a fine instrument to junk.

Boristhespyder likes this.
  7. bassbenj

bassbenj

Aug 11, 2009
    Wasn't a "favorite" bass but just a cheap flea market bass. Anyway had this plan to build a midi bass. The idea was I'd have a connection to every fret and each saddle so that the strings formed a "crosspoint" switch that could be used to produce Midi signals. The idea was that the regular pickup would track note envelope wile Midi produced whatever sound you wanted. Strings and frets would set
    pitch. You following all this? Anyway I soldered pins on the bottoms of the frets which I had removed and reinstalled and then wired a flat digital ribbon cable to each pin. Bottom line was that I was just a kid and not experienced luthier at the time. Say no more. Luckily was only a junk bass.

Wisebass and kodiakblair like this.
  8. moorebass

moorebass Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2005
    Oklahoma City, OK
    #1 Tried to install flush mount strap locks into an FBass BN6 using rudimentary tools. Screwed the upper horn up - completely criminal hack job. I still have no clue what the hell I was thinking.

#2 Not as bad but still an expensive lesson: Replaced the bridge, pickups, preamp, and tuners on a Fender Jazz V that was formerly owned by Adrian Garcia. Put > $600 into a bass I paid $700 for. Could never get a decent tone out of it post mods :(

9. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Whenever I modded something, I was always careful to make it reversible - so my mods are pretty conservative compared to the works of some folks here. Can't say I ever pooched any musical instrument I ever owned.

And now I feel left out...:eyebrow:;):laugh:

shadowtippy likes this.
  10. There is still time. We have faith in you.

Flgc2017 and 40Hz like this.
  11. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

I doubt it. I bought a Baltimore PB type thing (see below) at GC on clearance for $49 with the intent to route a swimming pool in it and use it as a test bed in order to do some pickup experiments. But I got it home, played it a bit and decided I really liked the neck and light weight. So I dropped a GFS classic alnico pup I had lying around in it and called it a day. One other disincentive to ditz with it further came after I announced my plans to my fellow musician (guitarist) GF. She took one look at the candy apple red metallic finish and that Dr. Seuss inspired pickguard and said: "Don't you dare!" :laugh:

balt.

Wisebass, shadowtippy and kodiakblair like this.
  12. Element Zero

Element Zero

Dec 14, 2016
    California
    Years ago, I ALMOST turned my ATK into a fretless. So glad I didn't.

13. gebass6

gebass6 We're not all trying to play the same music.

May 3, 2009
    N.E Illinois
    Yes.
    My very first bass.
    A 1979 pre EBMM "Walnut"Sabre.

I stripped of the finish.
    I didn't like the thick slab-like horns,so I sharpened them.

Then I took a propane torch and scorched it in places.
    I then had a local violin repairman put on a coat of violin lacquer.
    That was fine.
    It looked great!
    But in the process of putting the electronics back together I overheated something and it didn't sound right.
    I was 23 years old.

I threw it out and bought another bass.
    A white Aria SB Elite I.

Last edited: May 20, 2017
  14. Pulling off the frets to make a nice semi-acoustic in to a fretless, then discovering the rosewood more more like balsa wood and you could dent it with a finger nail, plus having tone that sounded like the bridge was made of rubber. Did this in 76 and still have it because it looks pretty!

15. JRA

JRA where did the time go? Supporting Member

wasn't a "favorite," but i bought a p-lyte from a CL ad for $150: the owner had defretted for his first fretless. so it had lines (not for me). i tried to do the 'epoxy dam' treatment which resulted in a huge fail (neck wasn't perfectly level during drying/curing). it ended up playable, but not gig-able. the fail thread is in luthiers corner somewhere. i did get a brand new --- he had just installed them --- set of EMGx PJ's + the control system (worth more than what i paid for the whole instrument). that was last year.

so now: i just bought a fretless (very dark rosewood) paddle neck and i expect that i'll be mucking up another project as i try to fashion a headstock for it = so i'm not finished with the 'junking of a bass' quite yet! (best headstock shape contest --- compete for beer!) everyone else seems to have done these hack jobs in their youth!

also: the previous owner, in an attempt to refinish the body, had removed the finish but had not completed the job = i get even another opportunity to junk this instrument! ha! :roflmao::banghead:

as you can see/imagine: the junking of this bass is an ongoing labor of love!

decent pickup? i'm thinking i might try them to keep this project passive. thanks.

Wisebass likes this.
  16. Wisebass

Wisebass

Jan 12, 2017
    Lost in Space
    No! To do something like that needs to be punished! :D:D:D

monty-python-stoning-o.

relax!! ;) a tort pg would be worse :laugh::roflmao:

may the "mod" be with you

Wise(b)ass

ThatLeftyguy likes this.
  17. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

@JRA - I thought the GHS sounded just fine with that bass. Had a good deal more output than the Asian no-name it came with. I used their Pro Series P. They go for about $30. (If you wait for one of their frequent sales they're even less.) Really nice sound. And you can't beat them for the price.

Another really good but inexpensive alternative is the Wilde P-46 for $60 direct from the maker. This is a Bill Lawrence design and has his signature clear clean sound. If you want a modern sounding pup for a PB or Jazz, the Wilde pickups (IMO) are one of the best things going regardless of the price.

18. JRA

JRA where did the time go? Supporting Member

https://www.talkbass.com/members/40hz.73668/ --- i'm using GFS redactives in a jazz bass and really like them, but have no experience with the passives: agreed, they are affordable! i'll take a look at the wilde p-46's. thanks for the response! :thumbsup: