1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

ever use a parametric eq as a preamp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jimbilly, Jul 24, 2007.

1. jimbilly

jimbilly

Apr 19, 2006
    I recently picked up a very early '80s (and very cool) Phase Linear 5 band parametric eq, it's the 'professional series', is mono, has both 1/4" and xlr ins and outs. I've been messing around with it as a preamp into a little hot spot monitor, and it sounds really good, it's got quite a bit more output than my tech21 bddi. I intend to give it a try as a preamp in front of my Stewart 1.6, anybody else try one as a preamp?

a poor quality photo...

PLE51.

2. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Rickenbacker guru.......... Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2006
    I have a Furman PQ-3 that I use these days mostly for recording, but it does occasionally get used as a DI when my band does gigs where the event has a nice PA, then I don't bring an amp, just my 2 space SKB rack with the PQ-3 and a Korg DTR-1 tuner.

3. Masher88

Masher88 Believe in absurdities and you commit atrocities

May 7, 2005
    Cleveland, OH
    I tried before...it's not quite the same thing.

4. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

I used a tc electronic 1140 parametric equalizer as a preamp for awhile, and it worked great. Of course the tc had both input and output level controls, which made it a true preamp (it was even advertised as such).

I'm no expert, but some equalizers might not work well as preamps. EQs optimized for a line-level signal might not have enough gain for a passive bass. Yours has a level control so it might work just fine. It certainly won't hurt to try.

5. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    +1 to all of that. The Furman mentioned earlier is an interesting example- I had a compressor from that line, and it was designed to take any input signal from instrument to line level. It also had enough gain on tap to be used as a pre, but it was noisy in that application.

6. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Only time I've used one is for the usual but if it puts out the tone you want without a bunch of tweaking at levels you need, why not.

7. I've used a ART 16 band eq as a pre-amp and I think I like it better than some of my tube pre's. Ultra clean.

8. BassikLee

BassikLee Commercial User

Feb 13, 2004
    Deltona, FL
    Owner: Brevard Sound Systems
    I have a KT 5 band parametric EQ I use sometimes. Works VERY well.

Lee

9. Ugh - sort of.
    I used a Boss Equaliser pedal as a pre-amp for a while - worked fine, but it did put a bit of 'suck' in the tone.

10. synaesthesia

synaesthesia

Apr 13, 2004
    UK
    It most cases you probably can, it would probably sound cleaner in most cases, and you may probably have less overall control over the preamplification required to drive a power amp; e.g. you can't turn it down to zero....though yours has a pot that looks like it can!

Most of these devices are designed to work at unity gain, as they can aldready add quite a bit of gain depending on where and how much you boost....

Some EQ devices have an overall gain of typically +/- 12 db over an above what you do at EQ.

Geddy Lee I believe at one time used some graphic Eqs to feed power amps; i think it was the Roll the Bones or whatever era, ( I am not into Rush at all but recall reading about it...)

BTW, the Phase Linear name was quite famous in amplification circles and were designed by Bob Carver later of Carver amps. This one is new to me though, it does not look like the Phase Linears I recall.

11. I had a lot of success with this set up for about 9 months:
    pedals.

Now I just use this:
    Bassrigcloseup.

I wasn't driving an amp, I was/am going direct to the board.
    You might not have the push to drive your amp, but I say why
    not give it a shot? If you like the sound you're getting then you've
    got nothing to lose.

Good Luck.

12. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Yep. I've done that a bunch. Most recently with a dbx that I sold off to Bartman. These days I'm close as I'll occaisionally run an ART Tube Channel mic pre.

13. I had a nady 5 band para and it was preatty cool, I could dial in a nice tone, but I didn't really like it all that much--not enough gain for my taste

14. derrico1

derrico1 Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2005
    Charlottesville, VA
    Funny, as I used superbassman's nady parametric a couple of times in my Aggie/Stewart stage rig, in part to boost the Aggie's line out signal into the Stewie's sweet spot.

I agree, though, that it isn't particularly special as a stand-alone pre.

15. Ty_Boogie

Ty_Boogie Bass, A way of life

Sep 6, 2004
    Troy, NY
    Nice very nice pic's and equipment

me? 50% of the time I use the NE-2 parametric eq
    works for me

16. doctec

doctec

Mar 22, 2005
    Beaverton, Oregon
    I used a PQ-3 as the preamp in my main bass rig for many years. The PQ-3 has an instrument level input and it worked great. Very clean and lots of tone options once you learn how to run the parametric controls. I used it to drive a Yamaha P2200 power amp.

17. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Nice bit if kit there...
    I used a furman para eq to drive a big ole crown power amp as my rig for a long time. That was back around 1981...

18. m.oreilly

m.oreilly

Jul 5, 2006
    Ukiah, CA
    same here, i used to use a pq-3 acquired from a santana gear sale ages ago. i also used the pq-4 (which i just sold).