Ever used built-in effect pots?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by borden, Dec 26, 2005.

1. Yes, i'd like to try it!

2. Seems interresting, need more informations...

3. Maybe on a low quality bass... would never touch my ho-so precious baby!

4. Never.

1. Hey,

I just bought an built-in effect pot... here's the description :

I'm sorry i had to take this link out of :rollno: Ebay :rollno: but this is the only information i could find about the product. I assume it works better on a guitar but i decided to buy it anyway for one of my bass. I have that Fender Squier skull/crossbone ready to accept it but i would like to know what your opinions are on the subject before cutting and soldering.

Thank you
  2. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Interesting. I would like to hear how this thing works out!
  3. Well actually you have samples on the Ebay page i posted, that's one of the reason why i bought it. Altought they were guitar samples, i think the unit could render some good sounds on a bass too. Waiting for more replies before "butchering" that Squier! :)
  4. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    The only "tough call" there is that bass frequencies usually need different capacitor and resistor values than guitar, so for some fx you'd want to replace a cap on the board. But the components of this unit are a mix of digital and mini surface-mount, so it would be pretty much impossible to do a home modification. You're basically hoping that the digital modeling they did allows decent bass frequencies. Also, having the output trim knob on the inside of the control cavity is no fun. What if you want to change the intensity of the drive during a set? And since it replaces a tone knob, you lose the tone knob. Unless your pickguard has room for an additional knob, and you can wire the pots in series. I dunno, it's a cool idea but I wouldn't install it on any bass fancier than a Squier skull & bones.
  5. Well, i guess your right about frequencies but as to the output trim knob...

my guess was that you set it up as to how you like your sound better at your normal amplifier gain....Then if you need a little more punch just play around with your amp gain.. It make sens to me anyways.

Ho yeah, loosing one tone pot.. i might not be very experienced with bass playing but i seem not to play around too much with the tone pot i'll eventually be loosing. I like it when it's in the middle (50/50 on each pickup).

Thanks for your opinion!
  6. keb

Mar 30, 2004
    I have heard of people taking apart stompboxes and putting the electronics in instruments. Might be fun to put a SansAmp BDDI circuit inside a bass.
  7. ^^Think about all the routing that has to be done.. But it would be an awesome pre-amp in a bass though! :smug:
  8. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I've toyed with the idea of putting a Dr. Q circuit into a bass. Small board, simple effect, only requires one knob and a switch.
  9. rumblethump

rumblethump Supporting Member

Mar 25, 2000
    Pioneer CA. 95666
    :bawl: You guys.. grrrr. NOW I'm going to have to remove my strat pickguard to see if theres room. ;)
    Nice find