Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ever used Joe Meek for anything

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by TaySte_2000, May 6, 2002.

1. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    As the title says. If so how do they compared to the raven labs stuff just as quiet? Good quality? Well built? Usable as a pre amp in a live situation?

Your thoughts please.

2. maxvalentino

maxvalentino Endorsing Artist Godin Guitars/ Thomastik-Infeld

I have a Joe Meek channel strip which I use, sometimes, in my home recording studio. Yes, they are well made, exceptional even, if perhaps a little heavy handed in the eq ranges and, notably, the photo-optic compressor (which works great for bass, but is not what I would call subtle! I own a few different compressors, and prefer to use the Meek for special situations).
    I have not used it in a live situation..but I suppose it would work fine. As a mic pre(used as a bass instrument pre) it is wonderful to tape...as a pre for your rig it might leave a little wanting (namely aux sends!!)
    I have a Raven Labs MDB1 and PHA1 which I use in my live rig...these are exceptional!!! Head and shoulders above the rest, as they say. Quite a few of the tracks on my solo CD were recorded using the MDB1 as a DI and running strainght into a M Audio Delta Series soundcard...pristine sound.
    Live, both Raven units are indispensible...I would suspect the samew thing about the Raven DI, Master Blender, True Blue EQ and the new Universal Instrument Pre. Steve Rabe really knows how to build great gear that really fits a musical niche...and works! No hype...it just works great. Very transparent, quiet....and most of all usable. I use both my Raven units mostly for the parallel aux sends to send to fx and loopers; the eq I run pretty much flat. And they sound like my basses.
    Coincidently....Fishman just released their new Pro EQ Platinum Bass Pre/DI which also has a phot-optic compressor on board. It very much resembles the Joe Meek circuit, but the Fishman is mucho versatile, and features a 10MegOhm input (just like Raven Labs) for true signal clarity (look for a review of the Fishman Pro EQ Platinum here at TB soon!)
    Max