1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

ever used these?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by geezer316, Apr 6, 2003.

1. geezer316

geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    NEW HAVEN ,CT
    i get a carvin catolog in the mail every month and they advertise their strings for 9.99 a set, i use a "certain brand" on my gigging bass but like to use ghs boomers(i get 3 sets for 30.00$ at g/center) are the carvins any good? how do they compaire to the "good" names(ernie ball,didariofenders,etc)
    i think 10.00 $ a set is a good price for them IF they hold up well, i'm sure they will carvin is a good name, i would just like some feedback if pos.
    adam:)

2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Think again, IME.

Then again, I haven't used them for a long time and with good reason. I had a new Carvin in 2000 and the strings that came on it were atrocious.

In late fall of 2001, I sent the bass in for repairs and it came back with new strings. Evidently, Carvin had someone different making their strings They sounded great......for 3 DAYS!!!. After that their "zing", liveliness, and defintion faded very fast.

The Bass Gear Review website found pretty much the same thing http://www.bgra.net/features/strings.html

Unless Carvin has changed to another company in the past year or so, they're pretty sad, IMO. A set of premium strings lasts as long as 4-5 sets of Carvins would for me.

3. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    if you are going to spend $10, I suggest Austin City Limits.

Best strings I have ever bought.

4. bertbassplayer

bertbassplayer Supporting Member

Jul 7, 2000
    Lafayette, LA
    When MF had Rogue Branded strings for $5 a set those were a great deal, they were made by Gibson, and usually lasted the same as any other Nickel set. I think they might have them, but the only sell them in bulk singles now.

Stringthis.com has Martin Bass strings for $20 for 2 sets. (Or $24 for 2 sets of 5-String). I haven't tried them, but I plan on it as for my backup 5er, as soon as I get it back from the guy that's borrowing it.

5. I have been using Dean Markley American Fliers on my basses. I got them for $30 for a 6 pack. I still have around 36 sets left. They are great, check with a GC to see if they have any.