ever used these?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by geezer316, Apr 6, 2003.

1. geezer316

Jan 26, 2003
    i get a carvin catolog in the mail every month and they advertise their strings for 9.99 a set, i use a "certain brand" on my gigging bass but like to use ghs boomers(i get 3 sets for 30.00$ at g/center) are the carvins any good? how do they compaire to the "good" names(Ernie Ball,didariofenders,etc)
    i think 10.00 $ a set is a good price for them IF they hold up well, i'm sure they will carvin is a good name, i would just like some feedback if pos.
  2. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Think again, IME.

Then again, I haven't used them for a long time and with good reason. I had a new Carvin in 2000 and the strings that came on it were atrocious.

In late fall of 2001, I sent the bass in for repairs and it came back with new strings. Evidently, Carvin had someone different making their strings They sounded great......for 3 DAYS!!!. After that their "zing", liveliness, and defintion faded very fast.

The Bass Gear Review website found pretty much the same thing http://www.bgra.net/features/strings.html

Unless Carvin has changed to another company in the past year or so, they're pretty sad, IMO. A set of premium strings lasts as long as 4-5 sets of Carvins would for me.
  3. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
    if you are going to spend $10, I suggest Austin City Limits.

Best strings I have ever bought.
  4. When MF had Rogue Branded strings for $5 a set those were a great deal, they were made by Gibson, and usually lasted the same as any other Nickel set. I think they might have them, but the only sell them in bulk singles now.

Stringthis.com has Martin Bass strings for $20 for 2 sets. (Or $24 for 2 sets of 5-String). I haven't tried them, but I plan on it as for my backup 5er, as soon as I get it back from the guy that's borrowing it.
  5. I have been using Dean Markley American Fliers on my basses. I got them for $30 for a 6 pack. I still have around 36 sets left. They are great, check with a GC to see if they have any.