Ever wake up and your arm is numb?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by FireBug, Dec 15, 2005.

1. FireBug

Sep 18, 2005
    I had this happen to me today. I had to literally lift it with my other hand and place it in a position where I could get the blood flowing. Scares the crap out of me every time.

I wake up thinking "I could've lost my arm" with an immediate afterthought of "I couldn't live a life without bass in it."

Does this happen to anyone else? How long does circulation have to be cut off before the limb dies?
  2. nick g.

nick g. Supporting Member

Nov 9, 2003
    Chandler, Arizona
    Sleeping on your arm will never cut off the circulation so much that you'll lose it, methinks.
  3. fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    yeah, i go through spurts of this happening all the time. I think your body wakes you up before you get to the point of "holy crap there goes my arm!"
  4. fourstringdrums

fourstringdrums Decidedly Indecisive Supporting Member

Oct 20, 2002
    San Antonio
    I've woken up before my arm gets the ciculation back and I can't move it and it just flails around if I even try and move it.
  5. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    I had that problem as well, mostly in my hands. It ended up that my ulnar nerve was frayed, so I had to have surgery to move it to a safer place along the inside of my elbow.

6. fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    Not gonna lie, that sounds like it sucked.
  7. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

I've woken up with all kinds of crazy things, including waking up and not being able to move my arm for five minutes because it was "still asleep". Once I woke up and I couldn't open my eyes. That was fun.
  8. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    This happenned to me when I was 16. I slept badly on my right arm and when I woke up I couldn't feel it at all. It can really weird you out.
  9. A buddy of mines father lost every one of his limbs from this. He was a very bad alchoholic and would constantly drink to the point where he would pass out and wake up with his limbs black or something? I was told it went to the point where they had to amputate both his feet, then just above his knees the next time, then eventually the same thing happened to his arms. Scary stuff.
  10. mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    Most likely he was a diabetic, you will NEVER sleep so deeply or in a position that your limbs would be black. That takes hours to happen, more than he could ever sleep.

11. He drank a heck of a lot of alchohol, my buddy thought that was the reason?

EDIT: but maybe he was a diabetic, I have no idea. Does that happen a lot?
  12. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I'm such a moron in the morning. One time I woke up and my arm was dead... it was my "hit the snooze button before turning the alarm off" arm. So I grabbed that arm, and threw it on top of the alarm a couple of times before it turned off... you know, rather than use the awakened hand that was throwing the other.
  13. You sleep in stages - four NREM sleep stages, and one REM stage (that's where REM got their name from).

The four NREM sleep stages graduate towards REM sleep, and basically what happens is the body relaxes to such a point that it gets kinda paralysed, but doesn't really because, in every stage, different kinds of spasms happen to sorta wake the body up but not really totally wake it. Then in REM sleep, all the crazy stuff happens like dreams and that, and the eyes move around all crazy-like (hence REM - Rapid Eye Movement). Then you go back through the NREM sleep stages until you wake up again, roll over and go back to sleep again. Adults (eg lae 20's early 30's) will do that about two or three times a night.

It's probably during REM sleep that limbs and stuff go to sleep because the body is paralysed - from memory, no spasms (called hypnotic jerks, or something like that) happen in REM sleep, only in the NREM sleeps.

But all of that's from memory, so I could be totally wrong about some stuff.
  14. Well OK, it used to happen to me often with my right arm only but since I started exercising more it disappeared and I think a nerve was pinched, so maybe that is a solution for you. Has your shoulder been dislocated? If it is a problem you should talk to a sports doctor about it.
  15. FireBug

Sep 18, 2005
    My arm always went to sleep because I slept on it or slept in some weird position...
  16. westland

Oct 8, 2004
    Hong Kong
    It happens to me all the time. It's much less of a problem when I exercise regularly ... I think its a problem of unbalanced exercise straining or restricting certain blood vessels
  17. threshar

Jul 30, 2002
    happens to me a bit.
    especially recently since we're sleeping on the pullout in the livingroom due to construction in my bedroom and the dust making me miserable.

Couple of times it took a minute for my arm to get going and I was sitting there saying "oh [insert bad word here]".
  18. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Alot of alcoholics are undiagnosed diabetics. My father was recently diagnosed with type II diabetes, and the doctor said that his high alcohol consumption was most likely a large contributing factor.

When you're a diabetic, drinking a lot of booze is a very bad idea. Liqour and Beer both have lots of carbs in them.
  19. I wake up everyday with numb arms. I usually have to hold them up into the air to get the blood flow going. One morning I woke up and did this, and I could literally feel the blood sloshing around in my arm. Scary stuff. My arms go numb from anything. Even just laying on my side with my arm under my pillow, my circulation gets cut off at the shoulder. I hate it. I'm a big guy, though (6'2" 210) so I bet it happens easier for me because there is more weight on it.
  20. mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    Pretty close Steph, but remember the only part that "sleeps " is the brain. The autonomic portion slows but never stops, hence we would die. There is a sleep paralysis syndrome, but the symptomology is not what we see here. What these guys are having is simple brachial artery compression due to position. What must happen here is that they need to adapt to a different sleep position.Difficult though, because the position you fall asleep in is rarely the one you wake up in.

Good stuff m'lady.