1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Ever want to slow a song down enough to learn it? Use Audacity!

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by fourstringbliss, Dec 10, 2006.

1. fourstringbliss

fourstringbliss Supporting Member

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    I've been using the free program Audacity to edit MP3's for a few months now. I never ventured into the "Effects" menu because I pretty much just cut and paste. Today I learned that this program can slow a song down (or speed it up) without changing the pitch. It'll sound the same - just slower! Now I can take the song I want to learn, slow it down, and be able to play along without having to buy a Tascam CD Trainer or something like that! Give it a shot!

Here's an example:

Bass Solo Normal

Bass Solo Slow

2. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Audacity is a great program, especially considering the price! (Which is free.) It really does have a lot of awesome features.

3. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    Check out the samples I added to my post!

4. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    Could a moderator please move this into General Instruction? I didn't know where to put it and then I saw someone in General Instruction asking about slowing songs down. Thanks!

5. jamesbrookes

jamesbrookes

Aug 29, 2006
    Maryland
    i dowloaded it, but how do you put music on to it?

6. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    You can either go File > Open, or ctrl + o and then select either an mp3 or wav file. The song will load in and you'll see the sound file. If you want to slow the song down you need to click on the panel on the left of the song that contains the "mute" and "solo" buttons. The song will be highlighted in a greyish-blue and then you can go Effect > Change Tempo. That will allow you to change the tempo by degrees. I'm slowing things down by around 15%.

7. ScottyG

ScottyG

Jul 15, 2006
    that program seems pretty cool, but whats wrong with buying the tascam bass trainer? I find it has a lot of coole features, and you can take it on the road with you.

8. Huge

Huge Hell is full of musical amateurs. Like me.

Dec 2, 2005
    Edmonton
    Nothing.

But if you already own a laptop, why not download a free program and take the laptop with you?

Plus, you can do a lot of cool things with audacity if you record directly to your PC.

9. studentaccount1

studentaccount1

Nov 14, 2006
    Transcribe! is a little easier and gives a few more options (isolating specific instruments etc) and has a free trial. I think it is worth buying though.

10. fourstringbliss

Oct 5, 2003
    Puyallup, WA
    Nothing! I'm sure the Tascam thingy is great, but now that I know this program will slow songs down for me I'll never neeed to buy one. I actually was using Audacity for editing and joining mp3's. It was an accident that I stumbled upon it's slowing-down abilities. I can load a song, slow it down, and then export it back as an mp3. Once the mp3 is on my Ipod I can practice with it anywhere I like.