1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Ever wonder HOW people who don't use effects end up in the "Post Your Pedalboard" thr

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by SpankyPants, Sep 22, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SpankyPants

SpankyPants That's Mr. SpankyPants to you.

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    So I ran out of room...

But seriously. Why would you even go there? I'm not flaming or complaining. I just don't understand it. :confused:

2. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Similar to going to the zoo. :D

3. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    And yet if I go into the Show Your Basses thread to tell them how much I hate the electric bass, they get all snippy.

4. Joe Gress

Joe Gress

Dec 22, 2005
    Pueblo, CO
    It's kinda like the family's that go to a r rated movie and complain about the violence/sex/drugs/language/etc. Don't eat the cake if you don't like it. The ones that do like it will enjoy it just as much without you.

5. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize!

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Because some of us love effects.... but we don't actually use them live. So it is fun to see what other people use.... especially the extreme pedal boards.

We play a song that would sound great with chorus. But I'm not dragging out a chorus pedal for one song.

I have two exceptions to that rule: Neil Young's "My my, hey hey" and Blur's "Song 2". When I get to play them live (which is almost never :( ), I break out the Torn's Peaker. :bassist:

6. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    I like the similar to going to the zoo analogy.

7. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger Commercial User

Sep 22, 2005
    Not Mars
    The Overlord of Nordstrand Pickups
    Yeah I don't get it either.

I've never gone into the Amps forum and smugly stated the fact that at most venues most bassists will ever play, the bass goes into a DI which is fed through a PA. Maybe I'm missing out on the whole fun that a superiority complex can bring though!

8. Jared Lash

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    But there's a big difference between that and going into the pedalboard threads thinking you're the first one to post a picture of an instrument cable as your "pedalboard" or to tell people that bass players don't need effects.

I do what you describe in most ERB threads. I have a six string bass, but I don't take anything but fours to practices/jams/gigs. But I still dig checking out threads about them.

A big difference between that and going into those threads just to say that Jaco/Jamerson/JPJ etc only needed 4 strings.

Maybe I should start going into every "who's your favorite bassist" thread and post pictures of Stevie Wonder's left hand. . .

9. Darkstrike

Sep 14, 2007
    Wait, who actually likes electric bass, I mean, we are just wannabie guitarists..........

10. well some of us (such as myself) go into the pypb thread to see whats popular. what other people are using, read what they think about them, see how they have it set up, see the signal chain, what pedalboard theyre using, etc. it gives us an idea on pedals that would be a good/bad idea on a pedalboard, among other things. im sure it actually eliminates a fair amount of new threads from being made. now people who go in just to say how useless effects are and how much they suck are the people who should just stay out. but theres nothing wrong with asking a question in a pre-existing thread, is there?

11. You would be proud of me. I don't use effects, well hardly ever, and I have never clicked on that thread to read it.

12. I wonder how many people that post in the "Post your bass that required a second mortgage" threads actually know how to play them :ninja: :D

13. Jared Lash

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    I can't speak for anyone else here, but I only play bass because I got stuck with it. I showed up late when my buddies were forming a band and the drums, guitar, keyboard, accordian, penny whistle, kazoo, tuba, ukelele, theremin, electric fart machine, djembe, kazoo, spoons, cello, washboard, and that thing you turn upside down to make cow noises were already taken.

So I've been wallowing in the ignominy of having to be a bass player for the last 16 years.

And yes, I know I listed kazoo twice. We had a rhythm and a lead.

14. Darkstrike

Sep 14, 2007
    My story is slightly different, we all started playing, turns out everyone else was better than me, they decided I couldn't handle small scale instruments, gave me this big 'ol thing, meh....

I'ma try to take up the kazoo now, didn't know there was a lead one, but I'll probably get stuck with a bass one knowing my luck.:atoz:

15. SpankyPants

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    You forgot the mouth harp and tambourine. I'm trying to start a group with only those two instruments.

Still trying to figure out something that I can play on the mouth harp that has more structure than plucking a rubber band at random. Beyong, boying, beyang, boyung, biyow, biyow, biyow, biyang.

That being said, I wish I could fit that entire post in my sig.

16. Jared92

Jared92

Nov 1, 2007
    Fairfax VA
    :D

17. Don't forget those little egg shaker thingies. Those things are awesome. They really make you move all over the dance floor

18. SpankyPants

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    The man speaks da troof.

19. Darkstrike

Sep 14, 2007
    I'm a mutli instrumentaist, I keep them in my pockets(mic'd) while I play.

20. Funkdrawer4

Funkdrawer4 Registered Abuser

Me either............Well maybe once but I didnt inhale...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.