ever wonder what goes on in the double bass off topic?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [DB]' started by Casey C., Jul 14, 2002.

1. Casey C.

Casey C.

Sep 16, 2000
    Butler, PA, USA
    whole lotta nothing it looks like! :D
  2. Yeah, I've wondered that since I joined Talkbass. Thanks for that info., Casey. I'll sleep better now.
  3. Casey C.

Casey C.

Sep 16, 2000
    Butler, PA, USA
    sorry, I'm bored...:( :oops:
  4. DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Do we really need two OT's anyway? I mean if we're off topic then we aren't discussing any sort of bass-related stuff. Just a thought to save server space....
  5. I didn't even know there was a DB off topic... hmmm.

Just had a look there... it just doesn't feel like home.
  6. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    Well, there are probably people that only post in DB and some that only post in BG. I guess the reason why there is two because the db only people post in a forum with the people they are familiar with, and the BG only people post in a forum with people they are familiar with. That is just my guess.
  7. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
  8. Dumfish

Oct 6, 2001
    Santa Rosa, Ca
    I actually went there once to check it out. There was a thread going about "why there had to be two OT forums." The fact of the matter is they talk about completely different stuff and they dont post nearly as often. Its just a different world over there.

And about the topic of this thread: No I dont really wonder about what goes on over there.

9. ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    sounds scary... :rolleyes: :D
  10. Casey C.

Casey C.

Sep 16, 2000
    Butler, PA, USA
    The DB section is like a second world... Some think about going there. Some do and get scared. and others simply don't give a damn.
  11. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Yeah, even less goes on in that lame ROSIN forum. Someone should start a thread over there bringing this up. Maybe they'll tell us why they're so quiet. Perhaps they're shy.
  12. haha, yes. remember when i announced a moratorium on industrial refrigeration unit threads in Recordings and you posted one?

i was THIS CLOSE to moving it to Rosin[DB]. :p
  13. BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    :rustic, harsh Indian voice on:

Last time I ventured into those territories were decades ago... I packed up the necessary supplies on my camel. These supplies would have to last me my entire duration on that strange, desolate place. Once I arrived, frightening creatures, each with carrying a stick with some sort of string on it, walked around, searching for a seat to sit down and play on this eerie instrument known to the natives as an upright bass, but better known to us as a double bass. The stores on the streets were littered with signs saying "No Electic Bassists Allowed", "Electric Bassists Use Side Door", or "Electric Bassists sit in back of bus." I was just appalled at the level of discrimination given to electric bassists. I knew my stay was not welcome anymore by this, and by the natives throwing plastic picks at me in a tribalistic fury. Mounting my camel, leaving my possessions behind in haste, I spur kicked the camel, and travelled into the sunset with an evil taste of just what the upright bass world was about....

:rustic, harsh Indian voice off:
  14. pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    You go, Jazzbo! You da man. :) :)
  15. And some of the smart ones jumb back and forth with out much, if any problems.
  16. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ

that sounds like it should go in the suggestion box to me...:D

is this really Freebie Thread in disguise?

17. Dumfish

Oct 6, 2001
    Santa Rosa, Ca
    I do blieve they use the term: toy bassists.

I hope I never hear that again

18. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000

Hey!! Will I EVER live that down? :D
  19. Casey C.

Casey C.

Sep 16, 2000
    Butler, PA, USA
    It seems to me like the upright bassist are alittle jelous of us bass guitarist. I mean, our instruments come in a variety of shapes, colors, tones, woods, pickups, and so on and their's are just like... well.. you know... These bassists just need alittle love, thats all. When was the last time you read a thread that said "I GOT A NEW BOW!!!11!!!1!!! -IT'S FRIGGHEN AWESOME!!111!!!!@#" 'round here, we get excited over amps, basses, pedals, and.. hell even strings.

So next time you see an upright bassist, give him or her a hug and say "I feel your pain, I'm here for you" cause another bassist gone is 20 more guitarist we will have to put up with.
  20. Well....it seems like the DB side (Dark side?) is a little more..ohhhh....laid back? I haven't ventured over there much, but it's much more civilizied. Far fewer 16yr olds flaming, and spewing vocal excremit :D