Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Ever written something that you couldn't actually play?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Hategear, Mar 22, 2002.

1. Yes! I changed it to make it easier to play.

2 vote(s)
    9.5%
  2. Yes! I practiced like a madman until I got it right.

13 vote(s)
    61.9%
  3. No! I am a god -- nothing challenges me!

4 vote(s)
    19.0%
  4. No! I don't write difficult basslines for just that reason.

2 vote(s)
    9.5%
  1. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    I am wondering: Have you ever written a bassline, lick and/or run that you couldn't actually play, or that you couldn't play without lots and lots of practice?

Recently, I came up with a little run that I just can't seem to play like I want to (and this is not the first time). There are three different places that I can play it on the fretboard, but none of them are really comfortable. One involves using my pinky in a hammer-on situation (which is somewhat difficult for me), one involves a slide toward the bridge (which puts me that much farther away from the note following the run) and the other involves a quick shift toward the nut and a little bit of a stretch from the D string to the E string (the least difficult option of the three).

The way I see it, I have but three options: I can change the run just a bit (it won't sound too different and no one will be the wiser), I can practice like a madman to be able to play something that I effing wrote, or I can scrap it all together and just bash away at root notes for the whole song! I think I am going to practice so I can play it the way I wrote it, but I still wonder if this has ever happened to any of you. I am especially interested in hearing from some of the "bigger names" here on TalkBass. Thanks, people.

2. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    No! I am god -- nothing challenges me!

3. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Yep. In my originals band, it happens to me quite a bit. I write a part, and then have to woodshed like crazy to pull it off at tempo. Also, having to relearn intricate parts that I originally played on a skinny necked 4 string, on a wide 6.

4. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    I made one, just for the hell of it because I was bored. I knew it was going to be really hard, but hey, I just prooved to myslef that practise DOES make perfect..almost...:D

5. Johnny BoomBoom

Johnny BoomBoom Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2001
    Glasgow, Scotland
    I voted no, however the last song we wrote I actually came up with a section that it took me weeks to learn afterwards!!!

I'd just been in a car crash, had a lot of weird s**t going on in my life and also had whiplash - so I was sitting donw at the practice. I improvised a bit of a song that turned out well. I spent weeks afterwards trying to get it right standing up and at the right tempo!!!!

6. All the time. I practise like a madman to get it right. I guess that with that extra effort I'm a little better player every time that happens. Just a little.

7. No. I can play everything I write - It's the stuff other people write that gives me trouble.

For example - I've been working on this tune by The Kingsmen for years. One day I'll get it.

"Louie, Louie -

dum dum something something something dum dum

We gotta go..."

cheers,

allan

8. Player

Player

Dec 27, 1999
    USA Cincinnati, OH
    Many times.
    I used to write a lot with my keyboard and sequencer (still do some) and quite a few times the bass line would turn out much tougher than it sounded. Over the past month I've been working on a solo that I wrote in a song with the sequencer. It sounds very natural, like it could easily be played on the bass, but the movements around the fretboard make it tough. A lot of times it's not necessarily playing the notes that's hard, but getting the same feel.

9. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    It happens rather often with my originals band. I like doing that, it pushes us forward so to speak, we HAVE to improve our skills to learn the song.

Usually I learn rather quickly, but there's still a lick that I find insanely difficult even after practicing like a bastard for the past few months:

[​IMG]

10. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I agree with that - I used to write a lot of songs based around a bassline - no problem. But every year I go to Jazz Summerschool and there is always at least one written bassline I'm given that causes me all sorts of problems! ;)

11. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Every time I've written something for an instrument other than bass.

12. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Frequently. That's how to improve your playing.

13. beermonkey

beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA

What's the tempo on this?

14. Like beermoney asked, what's the tempo. And, in which position are you playing this? I played the first A on the E string and it didn't seem like a big deal to me. Which probably means I'm doing it wrong. :D

15. Oysterman

Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    Sweden
    Beermonkey, Gunnar: It's in 135-140 bpm, 5th position. I know, it's not supposed to be that difficult, and it's just the last A I'm having trouble with - it doesn't ring out clean, I almost always seem to mute it or miss it. So, I can play it, just not cleanly.