Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Everthing in one Rack?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Bonzai, Feb 9, 2003.

1. One

34 vote(s)
    82.9%
  2. Two or more

7 vote(s)
    17.1%
  1. Bonzai

Bonzai

Dec 6, 2002
    Do you house everything in your rig in one rack or more than one? Carrying your tone section in one rack and your amps in another would be beneficial in alot of ways. What do you do?

2. More ****=more of a pain in the ass. I know heavy stuff is easier to move in pieces, but generally speaking it's worth it to carry as much as possible in one trip. I can just imagine. Let's say 2 cabs, a rack, a backpack for your stuff, your bass, a stand, and now another rack to carry around? No way.

3. All in one man. Extra cords, another possiblity of something "growing" legs and walking off. No thanks.

4. Zon Bass

Zon Bass

Jan 20, 2002
    Dallas, TX
    It really depends. I mean if you have two 40 lb amps + preamp(s) + effects + power supply + the weight of the rack itself, you are gonna hurt yourself trying to move it. Break things up into 4 or 6 spaces and make a few trips. Your back will thank you for it.

5. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i think if i had anything more than 8 spaces, i'd have two racks. but for a 6 space rack it's much more convenient to have everything all in one. i've designed my whole rig to be as plug-in-and-play as possible. unpack, power cord in the wall, speaker cable in the speaker, basses into the MDB1, and we're ready to rock (i don't even have to unplug to switch basses :D )

6. Jontom

Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    I actually cross-sectioned all the components of my eight space rack into eight separate one-space racks. Lifting is a breeze:) , but connecting is a bitch:( ! Okay I lied.:D

7. coyoteboy

coyoteboy easy there, Ned Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Sactomato, CA
    All in one, baby!

What do you think drummers are for??

My rack is bigger than my speaker cab. yum!

8. Why you would have enough signal processing equipment for this to be an issue is beyond me. Nevertheless, if your stuff fits into an 8-space or smaller rack, keep it all together. Like MIGHTY GONADS said, it's easier to steal two lighter, smaller pieces than one big, heavy one.

Honestly, though, at some point you're going to have to think about why you have all that stuff. What on Earth do you have that would exceed the capacity of an 8-space rack?

9. Jonesy4fnk

Jonesy4fnk Supporting Member

I use 2 racks.

1 for my head

1 for my Midi/effects and mixer

This works great for when I play gigs that I don't need my Midi/Effects, I can just take out my head rack.

10. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

I could see two (or more) racks for the following reasons:

1) You need/want lots of signal processing gear (see JT's big rig! :) )

2) You have multiple tone configs but only one power amp... or maybe more than one power amp too (tube and SS?!)

I'm sure there are other good reasons I'm forgetting. Me, I prefer just one rack... seems like it would be a major pain to dig into the backs of more than one.

11. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Sweet setup, dude! :cool:

12. My 10RU is currently 79 pounds on my beam balance scale. It is everything I can do to move it unassisted.

Stairs??? Yikes!

I'm splitting mine into a pair of 5RU because it is easier to haul around. Power amps and crossover in the bottom rack, the rest in the upper rack. A single XLR cable will connect top to bottom.

13. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    Thought I hate the weight, I keep it all in one. More cases often translate into more trips out on a gig. Then again, I have only a 6U with one empty space, so it's heavy, but not overly cumbersome.

14. geshel

geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Seattle
    I've got two. One has my preamps in it, the other a QSC PLX3002. Modular, yet still simple to hook up (one cable). I don't need the QSC for recording, and for low-power gigs I can run through my Clarus.

Too bad I don't get to exercise this setup very often. :(

[​IMG]

15. N*Joy

N*Joy

Nov 30, 2002
    Birmingham, UK
    I'm going to split into two racks.

I have a (full) 6u where 2u is taken up by an 18kg power amp (nearly 40lbs). That makes even a 6u a pain in the arse - plus I normally jam with a friend with V-drums going through a mixer and headphones or little pa cabs so there's no need for my power amp.

Plus I've got an FMR and second pre-amp to add to the set-up - got room for them now.

16. Phat Ham

Phat Ham

Feb 13, 2000
    DC
    My current rack is a 6 space that weighs at least 70lbs. It's about as much weight as I can handle in a rack. If I got any more gear I'd definitely split it up into 2 racks. I'd rather have the convenience of one less thing to carry, but I'm willing to make an extra trip to save my back. Fortunately, around here thefts are pretty rare so I don't have to worry about that aspect too much.

17. I keep heat producing power amps away from my other rack stuff.

It just makes sense to me.

18. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    1 rack... 1 love...

Alex

19. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    I think I have to hate you now!!! Yup its offical!!! But really how much did the stick cost you?..

20. mgood

mgood

Sep 29, 2001
    Levelland, Texas
    I've always just used one.

But I've been thinking. (Can you smell the smoke?)
    For my next rig, I want two stacks, four full-size cabs. With that setup, I could have one stack in the practice room and one at home, and just carry the head/rack back and forth. If and when we do a gig big enough to justify it, I could bring all four cabs. In that setup, I would probably use two seperate power amps, one for each stack. I would probably put the second amp in it's own rack so I could leave it at home when only using one or two cabs. More flexability. No sense carrying a big heavy rack containing two power amps along with whatever pre-amp and signal processing to a gig where I'm just using one 4x10. It also keeps the speaker cable runs short if I decide to seperate the stacks, like one on each side of the drum riser or something like that.

Also, to keep the noise down, it's sometimes helpful to move your signal processing gear away from the power amp(s). The big power supply in the amps can sometimes induce a 60-cycle hum in the low-level signal in your other gear. Leaving a blank space or two between them is a good idea, but wasted space is not something most musicians want in a rack that has to go in the backseat of the car.