Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Every bass fathers dream,,,

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Barfly, Jan 10, 2004.

1. Barfly

Barfly

Dec 27, 2000
    GTA, Canada
    is the son being a drummer. Check out my little guy 'killin' the kit!!!!'

I can't wait until the day he or his sister says:
    "Dad? Can i have a drum set?"

It'd be a better day if one of them said, "Hey Dad, can I borrow the 96 MIM Jazz, the SABDDI and the 410 Ampeg, tonight?....and the van?"

Good times ahead...

2. Barfly

Barfly

Dec 27, 2000
    GTA, Canada
    Picture...damned Budweisers...

3. Danny R.

Danny R. Supporting Member

Very cool, here's my 1 1/2 son (he was 11 months when I took the pic) playing his little drum set, he can play some basic rythms now, I'm a proud dad :p

4. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Cool kids, yo.

Danny, I gotta ask... since when was I wanted? Let alone most wanted? :D

5. Danny R.

Danny R. Supporting Member

Well, I saw a lot of uglie faces in the photoshoped TBers thread, I got the ugliest pics and decided to make a new avatar, there are 1000's of pics in that thread and you, Embellisher and Mike Money won, congrats!!!! ;)

6. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I'm...uh...honored?
    :confused:

:D

7. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Damn, he is doing better than me!! Your son look like he would fit in at the local bar. im diggin the bat man top ;)

8. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Hey, I featured in that thread .... so you think I'm cute huh? Sheesh you're practically asking me out! :)

Keep encouraging those kids OK! Music has been wonderful to me and hopefully we can pass that joy on to the next generation!

9. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Barfly and The Bass Guru, those pics are way cool!

Yes, I say, teach 'em young.

Or more likely, give 'em the tools they need and let 'em teach themselves.

Kids have so much fun banging on musical instruments, it's amazing watching a child get absorbed into a kit.

I started on the piano when I was 3 years old (for me that was my "kit", I'm sure it took just as much of a beating).

My parents always made sure there was "something" musical around the house, a piano if we could afford one, or a guitar, anything that would enrich the musical environment.

My parents "never" complained about the noise when I was learning to play. They were amazingly patient. Or maybe they had earplugs, who knows? :)

10. Neil Pert before he hits puberty...

Thats cool man.

11. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Ah. Start them young.

My father (First Chair violin back in the day) used to play various classical pieces to the womb when I was a baby.

I grew up loving the greats, then I leaned more to the romantic era.

Maybe thats where I went wrong.
    Around 14 years of age I got into rock.

Now I'm a Prog/Metal kinda guy. The love for music was no doubt helped by my parents, but once I turned to bass, my dad threw up his hands and never again helped me with music. Ever.

So, I guess what I'm saying is, regardless of your kids musical taste as they grow, keep helping and listening! It means more to them than you know.

Unless, of course, it's just garbage. In which case, riddicle them in front of thier friends.

12. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    Ireland

What a cool kid

13. Barfly:
    Im actually looking for a drummer... Does he like rush, Primus and Chili Peppers????:D

Congratulations for you son. You must be proud. I want one of them for my birthday.... I prefer a Drummachine...only for a couple of years

Mike

14. metronome? :D

15. Heh, very cool pics Barfly and TBG...hope they stick with it long enough to play a gig with you sometime :) We've got one of those little drumsets in our practice space (trumpet player's parents' basement); it gets abused by the band members every so often, but I've never seen the kids that live there even touch it. :meh:

16. no4mk1

no4mk1

Feb 21, 2003
    Seattle, WA
    Here is a pic of me and my son discussing what bass will be his first... I suggested that it be a Jazz, or perhaps a G&L of some kind...

The picture was snapped right when he said he wanted... (wait for it)

:bawl:A BONGO!?!?! :bawl:

[​IMG]

Cheers,
    Chris

17. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    Ireland
    haha class. I wish my parents were supportive of me attempting to be creative, if i could give advie to a dad, it would be to encourage your child in whatever he/she does, i allways wanted encourage ment from my parents, and only seldom got it....
    TB'ers seem to make good dads, hopefully i will when the time comes.

18. permagrin

permagrin

May 1, 2003
    San Pedro, CA
    Had to step in here...

When my boy was three I got stuck with him (mom was supposed to have him) on a night when I was gonna have a jam at a local photo studio party where we'd provide music. Just called a few friends kind of thing, very low key. Anyway some musicaians show up but no drummers, but I had brought a set of bongos. My boy takes them and starts playing along. No real technique or anything, he just grabbed em, got up on stage, sat down, and started playing, and kept great time. I gave up my bass to someone and got to watch from the audience. He played for more than an hour, nothing to make anyone think "prodigy!" or anything but his playing never got in anyone's way, and certainly added to the sound in a positive way. When mom finally showed to pick him up, her jaw hit the floor.

No camera, no video. That was several years ago, he's 7 now, still occasionally plays bongos with his sister (8, piano) and me on bass. But really he's become too self-conscious about screwing up (he's such a little perfectionist - that's good for some things but can hold him back in others).

Oh, and one other gig a couple years ago, we were playing at a luau/cancer benefit when he got away from mom, got up on stage, and had a little (realistic looking) toy sax. He wasn't really playing but it got on the front page of a local newspaper, I mean the whole front page, full color, me and my boy! Bought two dozen newspapers, got a couple laminated, very cool.

He's now gas'n for a violin.

19. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Looking back, I wish I'd gotten into music much earlier (even so I started at 15). Seems like I missed some fun times :(.

However, that picture of no4mk1 and his son makes it all better! That's too damn funny.

20. permagrin

permagrin

May 1, 2003
    San Pedro, CA