1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Every Bow Post! way back to Aug 2000 - thousands of posts

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by CaseyVancouver, May 22, 2020 at 3:37 PM.

1. CaseyVancouver

CaseyVancouver

Nov 4, 2012
    3B6D0ACC-5146-42F3-8FC0-8DCB73DA7FD7.jpeg
    Yep, I’ve read every bow post going back to Aug 2000.

Started a few weeks is back. Too much available time without daily gigs and rehearsals.
    So if I’m not practicing bass, running with the dog or cycling I’m reading old posts.

What I’ve learned? Some topics keep repeating, over and over ...and over. Bass bows and expert technique styles are incredibly varied. An open mind helps with bass bowing. No one is above learning more.

Some posts that look to be dopey can have hidden gems by knowledgeable responders.

Some posters ask the same question every few years. Why can’t they figure it out?
    They get correct answers. Perhaps they have poor memories.

There are posters that are very worth listening to. When they comment it is worth taking notice of what they say.

This ‘A Team’ list includes:
    MikeCanada
    Ken Smith always right always arrogant
    Don Higdon dark humour and witty
    PaulCannon
    Jon Stefaniak
    and others.

Last edited: May 22, 2020 at 4:20 PM
    Bar Star, Joshua and Chris Fitzgerald like this.
  2. I find David Potts to be very helpful

3. CaseyVancouver

CaseyVancouver

Nov 4, 2012
    Yes, David is awesome!
    I wish we could edit posts.

Bar Star likes this.
  4. Bar Star

Bar Star

Nov 4, 2018
    I am following David Allen Moore’s German Bow course on Discover Double Bass and I have learned a lot from MikeCanada’s posts here as well. David Potts always gives great advice with associated exercices to improve.

I have also taken Damon Smith’s Simandl advice to heart. As a teacher-less, 40+ year old former sportball player, it has been slow going learning to read bass clef but I am loving the bowed sound I am getting from open strings and 1/2 position. It really does make everything else I play (bluegrass and cover tunes) sound better.

Last edited: May 22, 2020 at 10:15 PM
    garrett2 and John Chambliss like this.