1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

every thing is but they don't want a vintage price

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by gary mitchell, Feb 13, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vintage this , and vintage that, is vintage better are, does it means just old crap. Untitled-1. Untitled-1.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
  2. Kriegs

Kriegs Peace

Feb 14, 2018
    MA/ RI area
    2b5b8f2abf53c88f9e068be4216433e93c9191f3115b0005f73ae3c26c0b06de.

3. primusfan1989

primusfan1989

Jan 17, 2005
    new jersey
    Holy grammar batman. Could you re write the post in a way that makes sense? (perhaps some punctuation)

I guess if its over 25 yrs or so, its technically vintage. As for is it good or better than something made today? You can only really judge it on a case by case basis. Some cases yes, some cases no, some the jury is still out. Sometimes its just different and will depend on the tastes of the person asking the question.

4. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Wikipedia often mistakes my opinions for fact Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    I’m going to re-read the original post in 40 years to see if it’s still crap.

5. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Nope. If it isn't older than me it isn't vintage. Newer than that its just used.

-Asdfgh-, Bodeanly, micgtr71 and 11 others like this.
  6. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    FedEx defines a vintage instrument as being over 20 years old (where they cap the insurance value at $1000).

Funny how my ‘97 Fender CIJ ‘51 Reissue is considered vintage. :laugh:

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
  7. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD Supporting Member

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    Both bitter and poorly written. A win for everyone.

8. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Lost Wages, Nevada
    If it's older than me? If it's got pick ups in it, it's verging on an antique. And, it would be so rare, I couldn't afford it anyway - even if it wasn't left handed...
    Personally, I kinda like "vintage" instruments. And, no, it isn't because I think they're "Better" than new ones; a lot of the ones I have probably aren't - assuming you could get a new one. And, for a bunch of mine? You can't. For instance:
    Mod. 3 Ode-1. My 1963 ODE Model 3 banjo. Collectors call these "Boulder ODEs", because they were made by a husband & wife in a back-to-nature, mountain commune near Boulder, Colorado. Hand cast aluminum body/tone ring, and unusual in that they used Grover guitar tuners, rather than the usual (and fussy) banjo tuners. The husband & wife still make banjos - under the name OME - but not aluminum bodied ones. Is my "vintage" ODE better than a new OME? In a word - NO. But, it is a very good one; it's old and kinda cool; and has an interesting history. And, long scale, left handed 5-string banjo's are hard to find...
    330 Ric 2.JPG My 1987 Rick 330 guitar. 31 years old, so technically it's vintage. Is it better than a new one? No, probably not; but, I doubt that it's any worse, either. But, what it is, is a hollow body 330. Shortly after mine was made, the 330's became semi-hollow - as they still are today. Which one sounds better? That's debatable, but - I prefer the tone I get from mine. If you do, too? Then, it's vintage or nothing...
    Kramer 1.JPG My 1978 Kramer 450B lumie. Yeah, there are other aluminum-necked basses, but if you want one of these? Then, it's gotta be vintage. And, honestly; I can't really imagine that anybody today could build one of these any better than this. Well, maybe if they managed to fix the insane neck dive...
    '94  Gretsch    G6119B.JPG My 1994 Gretsch Broadkaster wasn't vintage when I bought it - but this year it is. Is it better than a new Gretsch? I'd have to say - probably not. It's what's known as a "Pre-Fender" Gretsch (after the family got the company back from Baldwin, and before their partnership with Fender). While they're more desirable to collectors, Pre-Fender Gretsches do have.. flaws... that the newer ones don't. Would I rather have a new one? Yeah, I would. If Gretsch still made Broadkaster basses - which they don't; and, if they made lefties - which they don't. I have this one, and live with it's foibles, because it's the only left handed Gretsch bass I've ever seen - that wasn't a conversion, or a stupidly high $$ custom from the '50s...

So, in my case, I have these - and several more - "vintage" instruments for several reasons. But, not because I think that "vintage" = "Better". I either just like them; I just can't get a new one; or, it's because it's a vintage one - or nothing... :whistle:

Last edited: Feb 13, 2019
    lefty, JC Nelson, Miker27607 and 3 others like this.
  9. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    The term Vintage requires a year to qualify it, ie; vintage 1936. Vintage without a date means nada.

M.R. Ogle, JMarkD, MattZilla and 2 others like this.
  10. My avatar bass is circa 1937. If an old instrument carries its years well then it's "vintage." Otherwise, it's just "fermented."

11. Kmonk

Kmonk

Oct 18, 2012
    South Shore, Massachusetts
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan, Nordstrand Pickups, Korg , Conquest Sound
    Punctuation is your friend. The last part of your post "is vintage better are does it means just old crap" makes no sense.

If you don't like vintage or think it's crap, don't buy it.

Sixgunn and TolerancEJ like this.
  12. Hmh?

Sixgunn likes this.
  13. rashrader

rashrader

Mar 4, 2004
    Baltimore, MD
    What’s the difference between a rabbit?

14. ScottfromCalgary

ScottfromCalgary Supporting Member

May 10, 2015
    Calgary
    Not sure why but I checked out the OP’s profile and he has this info posted there, so I thought I’d share:

“I have loved music since I was a kid, learn to play by ear listening to 45 RPM records. And if I miss spelled words use the wrong words please for give me. I was born with add and I have a severe Phonics problem, I was diagnose with not being able to hear certain vowels sounds in words, which causes me not to be able to spell well and when to use certain words in a sentence, like are ,or and such. thank God the college I went to helped me. But I have been made fun of most all my life, i left the Telecaster forum because all the smart remarks I got. But by the grace of God it does not effect my music. 30 some years playing in church, Christian Rock and metal bands, and even a couple of blues and country bands, my favorite would be Blues and contemporary worship”.

15. Low84

Low84 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2014
    This fire ant-style onslaught of hilarious, smart-alecky comments due to one person's poor grammar is one of the many things I love about TalkBass. :smug:

Thumpr, pbass2, DirtDog and 3 others like this.
  16. DigitalMan

DigitalMan Wikipedia often mistakes my opinions for fact Supporting Member

Nov 30, 2011
    One commonly accepted definition of vintage is “of old, recognized, and enduring interest, importance, or quality : classic”

Nev375 likes this.
  17. Cutter8

Cutter8 Admittedly in need of adult supervision... Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2018
    Georgia
    That made me laugh hard enough to startle my dog!

18. Cutter8

Cutter8 Admittedly in need of adult supervision... Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2018
    Georgia
    It can be pretty damn amusing!

Low84 and rashrader like this.
  19. 9Thumbs

9Thumbs

Jul 3, 2013
    Near Boston
    That's easy, "Neither leg are both the same."

20. rohi

rohi Lead Lined Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2018
    Philadelphia
    Vintage is vintage. Doesn’t make it good or bad.

Jim Carr and rashrader like this.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.