1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Every Time I buy from a music store I get hosed...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lowendmafia, Apr 2, 2013.

1. lowendmafia

lowendmafia Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2007
    Sacramento, California
    Man... I have done a ton of deals on TB and never had any issues (well one time I bought an upgraded SX fretless and UPS broke it in shipping). Other than that, I have bought basses, traded basses, bought and sold amps, accessories, pedals, EVERYTHING and never had a problem. However, it seems like everything I buy out of a store has issues. Most recently I bought a used bass amp (a good one) that was awesome for the first 6 weeks... then it started distorting and sounding like an amplified turd. I took it back to the shop, not even trying to return it just maybe get it looked at to see if it was fixable. The guy told me it was 6 weeks old so it was no longer his problem. Ok, ok, a policy is a policy, but doing right by your customer should also be a policy. I have spent thousands of dollars there...

FYI, this was not GC, GC would have made it right. This place is supposed to be the elite guitar shop in my area. They definitely just lost my business forever.

2. Raymeous

Raymeous

Jul 2, 2010
    San Diego
    Is it an active model?

From what you described as "was awesome for the first 6 weeks... then it started distorting and sounding like an amplified turd" sounds just like when a battery starts going.

Even if the bass is new, there is no telling how old the battery is, or if the battery was drained due to heat during shipping. Although the bass may have adjusted to the local weather conditions and the neck is back to normal, the battery would still be dead.

I'm taking a semi-wild guess here, and I'm not trying to be condisending. I'm just trying to cover all the bases. (Budum Pshhh!):D

3. punkjazzben

punkjazzben

Jun 26, 2008
    Australia
    It was an amp.

4. lowendmafia

Oct 11, 2007
    Sacramento, California
    Its an amp. Play both passive and active basses through it.

5. musicman666

musicman666

Sep 11, 2011
    ca
    What kind of amp is it?

6. lowendmafia

Oct 11, 2007
    Sacramento, California
    Phil Jones

7. FunkHead

FunkHead Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2007
    Call them and ask for the owner. He should care even if he hasn't trained his employees properly.

8. lowendmafia

Oct 11, 2007
    Sacramento, California
    I should mention that I am only speaking of non-bass only stores. BassNW, Bass Central and the rest have always done right.

9. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Kind of defeats your thread title then, doesn't it? ;)

10. AngusHasMoxie

AngusHasMoxie Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2013
    Easthampton, MA
    Formerly endorsed by Carvin, Basson and Dimarzio
    It's simple: TBers, in general, take care of their gear, and music stores don't have a passionate individual giving attention to every piece that comes through. Amps probably go through a 10-15 minute test, get a price tag stuck on it, and the warranty covers everything else.

Sounds like you need to start with TB, and then go to the bass stores you said were good.

11. hdracer

hdracer

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    So, If you bought a used amp on TB and six weeks later it had a problem, what do you think the odds are that the seller would "make it right" with you?

12. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    rainbow1. ?

13. lowendmafia

Oct 11, 2007
    Sacramento, California
    Touché, point is I live thousands of miles from any of these stores. Like I said, I understand the policy but I don't understand being a douche.

I also didn't want to unintentionally direspect the owners of said stores with a generalization.

14. lowendmafia

Oct 11, 2007
    Sacramento, California
    No, I think that if I bought an amp off TB from someone with strong feedback it wouldn't have been jacked up in the first place. Anyway, a TBer chimed in to help me with this and had nothing to do with the sale. I was trying to compliment the people here on TB, not tear anyone down. Most people, including my girlfriend think its nuts that I will send thousands of dollars to a stranger in hopes that they ship me a bass. This situation is a great explanation...

15. xroads

xroads

Nov 6, 2012
    If you buy a used amp at a store, question is whether there is any store warranty or not. If not, you are out of luck. If the store doesn't have a repair shop, what should the guys there do anyway? If they have one, maybe you could ask to get an estimate for the repair.

If it had been a new amp, the situation would have been different. When buying a used amp, you need to be aware of the risks involved....

16. a serious manufacturer (any serious manufacturer) will take care of your problem no matter if the amp you bought was used, new or whatever: contact Phil Jones directly, explaining clearly what is happening to you and (I bet) he'll take immediate care. ;) V.

17. lowendmafia

Oct 11, 2007
    Sacramento, California
    I believe he will... he is a great guy to deal with. This is my third Phil Johns Bass product. I was trying to sing the praises of the TB sellers and buyers. Sure, we don't have 5 Brand New Fender American Vintage RI basses hanging on the wall in unplayable condition priced at 2200 dollars... but we are all doing ok.

18. Cyrus987987

Cyrus987987

Oct 13, 2008
    Chicago
    I have bought the vast majority of my gear from the samash by my house. I tried a local shop once for a repair amd they took almost 4 months to fix a blown capacitor. I've never had a problem with samash, and I've bought used and new gear there. Mulitple basses, amps, effects, my wireless. You name it.