Every time I sell a bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by smcgov, Oct 18, 2021.

1. smcgov

smcgov Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Northshore Mass
    it seems to shoot up in value dramatically after I sell. I am starting to wonder if this is a conspiracy. I had 2 Wal basses at one time, paid around 1800 for them, I could literally have sold them now and bought a nice boat. I traded a Fodera for a new build for a value of about 2800, now they're 6K. What am i doing wrong here in life? I lit some incense for Jobu...nothing.

2. dalkowski

dalkowski Supporting Member

May 20, 2009
    Massachusetts USofA
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2021
    friend33, Riff Ranger, GregC and 14 others like this.
  3. smcgov

smcgov Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Northshore Mass
  4. luciens

luciens

Feb 9, 2020
    Well, just don't sell... That's what I do. My basses are always either stolen or destroyed, but never sold. That helps me to avoid impulse buying, but it also helps resale value...
    L

5. matti777

matti777 Supporting Member

Dec 13, 2007
    Edmonton, Canada
    Yeah I don't want to say what I sold my Sadowsky super light NYC jazz for :(

gzarruk, HeavyJazz and Sam Dingle like this.
  6. I have had this sort of experience in reverse, something I buy that drops in value a week later. But I feel your pain.

I guess for a few years now I'm at the point of playing basses that work for me that no one else wants.

7. cataract

cataract Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Columbia SC
    I bought a ‘73 Gibson Ripper for $400 back in 1999 & sold it for $500 after owning it for a few months. Around the same time I passed on purchasing a Wal MK1 for $1100 or so.. I feel ya OP

Microbass and smcgov like this.
  8. cataract

cataract Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2007
    Columbia SC
    Also I guess more recently I sold my ‘94 Ibanez ATK w/ OHSC for $300 (what I paid for it) to fund a 4003.. I really wanna buy another one but they’re going for $800ish now shrug emoji

9. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    Just take a breath and find some zen. All of the basses you have bought and sold wound up where they were supposed to.... as did the money. At the time, you got what you wanted.

Living in FOMO* sucks. So don't do it.

*Fear Of Missing Out

lomo, Swamp_Ronin, DeepHz and 29 others like this.
  10. FrenchBassQC

FrenchBassQC Supporting Member

Jul 13, 2011
    Gatineau QC CA
    But you're not selling your basses...:meh:

_Obra_, Jason Bonilla and Tanner5382 like this.
  11. Sing this to the melody of "Every time I say goodbye.... (...I die a little)".

12. smcgov

smcgov Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2010
    Northshore Mass
    interesting take ty

two fingers likes this.
  13. wagdog

wagdog

Mar 20, 2000
    Der Waffle Haus
    I’ve sold dozens of basses at commodity value. It wasn’t until years later that they became collectibles. Maybe I should have a policy of ‘sit on it for 20 years’ before I sell anything.

groovepump likes this.
  14. MarMar

MarMar

Sep 9, 2020
    I got a Fender Musicmaster around 2013 and I've noticed that nowadays people are asking about 3 times more than what I paid for mine. Often times, these instruments are beaten up and mine is in pretty good shape. I'm not sure if they're getting what they're asking for, but they're asking for it. :drool:

andare and WI Short Scaler like this.
  15. Esteban Garcia

Esteban Garcia bassist, arranger, aelurophile Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2018
    Portland, OR
    Modern musical instruments are a lousy investment vehicle. You should get into something more stable, like sports memorabilia.:roflmao:

/s

16. It the nature of the beast. That said, I’m still waiting for my MIG Active Warwick Corvette to go up… it’s been a long wait and still counting…LOL!

You know now that you mention it, if I add up the current market value of all the gear I’ve disposed of, adjusted for inflation, it’s a significant figure, but not enough to by a nice boat, maybe an inflatable raft…LOL!!!

smcgov likes this.
  17. pcake

pcake Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2011
    Los Angeleez
    almost anytime i sell something, just before i sell it, it goes way down in price - so far down sometimes that i have ended up keeping the item a couple times. go figure!

smcgov likes this.
  18. smurfco

smurfco Gold Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2007
    Norwalk, CT
    Every time I sell a bass
    It reminds me of the places we used to go

Dudaronamous and instrumentalist like this.
  19. 31HZ

31HZ Glad to be here Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2006
    Central VA, USA
    "Sell"? What is that? :woot:

20. luciens

luciens

Feb 9, 2020
    True, but maybe if I just think about selling, that's enough for them to go up in value. But then again, I'd have to test that theory by selling so... hrm. Maybe you're right.... :p

L

FrenchBassQC likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 28, 2021