Every touch to the body, squeak of leather strap on strap button etc. transmitted as sound.

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Ulf Buck, May 13, 2017.

1. Ulf Buck

Ulf Buck

Mar 15, 2015
    South Florida
    I found a NOS 80s peavey fury bass and it plays great.(USA made P bass copy) Every click or tap on the body and even the sound of the leather strap squeaking on the strap button comes out through the amp.
    Other than that the sound is truly spectacular

What's the deal and how do I fix it?

2. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    Replace the pickups. Apparently they went microphonic on you. I don't know enough about pickups to tell why they do that. Off the top of my head I think some of the windings are no longer stable and are free to move and create a current from physical vibrations. I don't know if repotting them would repair them or not. You should probably take this to the Electronics forum instead of here.

Reported for transfer.

Last edited: May 13, 2017
  3. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

Is your gain knob maxed?
    That will cause this problem.

4. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    You don't need to replace the pickup. It just needs to be repotted.

Remove it from the bass and put it into melted wax until there are no more air bubbles coming out.

That should fix the problem.

5. Ulf Buck

Ulf Buck

Mar 15, 2015
    South Florida
    Thanks All!

6. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    most peavey bass pickups i've seen have been solid epoxy blocks, there's no "potting" them afterwards.

that also means it's unlikely that they're actually bad, the problem is likely elsewhere.

are you boosting a bunch of high end, maybe with overdrive?

7. Bruce Johnson

Bruce Johnson Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 4, 2011
    Fillmore, CA
    Professional Luthier
    Pickups can be microphonic in two ways. One way is that the wire windings inside are moving with vibration, because they haven't been properly potted. That's what the others are referring to, but that's not likely to be the case here.

The other way that a pickup can become microphonic is if the whole pickup is loose in its mounting. A bump or vibration to the frame of the bass causes the pickup to wiggle in its mounting. Because it is moving in relation to the string, it creates a signal inside the pickup, which goes to the amp.

The quick test is to hold on to one or the other pickup while you tap on the bass. See if the tapping sound through the amp stops. Also, if you tap lightly on the pickup itself, the sound will be much louder. You may be able to see the pickup rattling around.

The fix is to better secure it mechanically. Tighten the adjusting screws, put a stiffer piece of foam or springs underneath, etc. As a quick temp fix, wedge a little strip of cardboard into the gap between the pickup housing and the body.

8. mech

mech In Memoriam

Jun 20, 2008
    Meridian, MS, USA
    The pickups on that model Fury are not potted and cannot be potted due to the shielding. Also they are supported by springs over the height screws and there is no foam under the coils from the factory. The coils are glued to the cases with hotmelt. Most likely the hotmelt has turned loose and the coil(s) are moving in the case. Fixed several over the years. Be extremely careful about disturbing the old hotmelt around the eyelets as this can break the coil wire. Don't ask how I know.

IMO, one of the best sounding P type pickups there is.
    89 Red Fury PU 1.JPG 89 Red Fury PU 2.JPG

9. Ulf Buck

Ulf Buck

Mar 15, 2015
    South Florida
    I agree with your opinion on the sound. It is stunning. So can I isolate it more somehow maybe add foam underneath or something?

10. mech

mech In Memoriam

Jun 20, 2008
    Meridian, MS, USA
    Foam can be added or the coils can be glued to the covers. I prefer to re-glue.

Ulf Buck likes this.
  11. Funkinthetrunk

Funkinthetrunk Registered User Supporting Member

I had a G&L L2K that did this. I removed the pickup springs and used foam....fixed it.

Ulf Buck and Aqualung60 like this.
  12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 24, 2022