Everybody come laugh at me!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by bassturtle, Jul 20, 2004.

1. bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    Okay, I'm sure I'll get laughed at to no end for this question, but why won't the websites I visit 'refresh' on their own? Like on TB, I always have to hit the refresh button to see if any new posts have been made. The page just stays the same as the last time that I hit the refresh button. Does this make sense? How do I fix it?
  2. My TB refresh's.

And if it doesn't, I can just hit 'HOME' :D seriosuly.
  3. Sometimes it has info that changes quite constantly and refreshes so your not look at "old" info. TB doesn't really have info changing constantly

edit: Also, sites as big as TB a big amount of bandwidth to refresh EVERYTHING on the page and so it doesn't auto refresh because it wants to refresh as little as possible to reserve bandwidth.
  4. bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    This is all well and good, but my machine at my store has no problem automatically refreshing the webpage...why does my home computer have a problem with this? I'm assuming it has something to do with the security or cookies settings in IE, but I'm not sure what to do...
  5. bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    Let me give an example to hopefully explain my situation a bit more. After I post this I will hit the link to take me back to the "off topic" main page. However, it won't be a refreshed version of the page. It will be just like if I hit the back button. Or if when I log on the pages all look like they did when I last logged off. Does this help?
  6. You saying if you post a message, go back to the forum you posted it in, it doesn't say there's a new message in the thread? If that's the case, it shouldn't because it thinks you had the last post (which you did) and that you read even the most recent posts posted while you were typing your post.
  7. Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Clear your cookies and history. That should help.
  9. bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    No even if I don't post in a thread. Like when I log off tonight and log back in tomorrow it will show the exact same list of threads as if no one had posted since I last logged off.
  10. I hit ctrl+1, might change it to my "Home" though :)
  11. bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    Yeah, I've done that and it doesn't change anything :meh:
  12. It's because the page is loaded into your cache. Clear your temporary internet files and history, might help.
  13. bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004

14. Sorry...I'll see if someone will make a cake for you...

*looks at official TB birthday cake girl*

Can you make it say "I was just kidding" I'll be really nice to you. :smug:
  15. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

you're just lazy! it;s not like you have to refresh the screen, you just press a button and it does it for you, isnt that good enough??
  16. bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    Yeah, like I said, I've been trying this. I first thought that was the case too, but I've been trying to figure this out for 6 months now...no luck.
  17. That is really odd...not like it will make a difference w/ this question, but what browser do you use?
  18. bassturtle

Apr 9, 2004
    I was waiting for a post like this...it took longer than I thought it would for someone to call me lazy. It's not that I'm lazy, but my computer is supposed to do something that it's not. I'm the kind of person who gets really annoyed by things like this.