1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

everybody digs bill evans

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by john allemond, Mar 26, 2009.

1. john allemond

john allemond Supporting Member

Just finished listening to" Everybody Digs Bill Evans",with Sam Jones and Philly Jo. Man, what a record!! My idea of complete bass playing. I know you cats have heard it before but it really moved me tonite.

2. Joshua

Joshua WJWJr Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Aug 23, 2000
    Connecticut
    One of the first recordings that turned me on to jazz lo those many years ago, great stuff indeed...

3. rdingess

rdingess

Oct 26, 2008
    It's my favorite record of Bill Evans' playing, too. Such a solid linear concept. I know everybody thinks that the interplay stuff is the greatest thing in the world, but his bebop is even more out of this world (imo).

4. john allemond

john allemond Supporting Member

I agree. I love the Vanguard stuff with Scotty and Paul, but this has a drive and urgency that I like. I copped Sam's line on Oleo, and use it with the quartet I play with. We do it with a dance groove and the kids eat it up.

5. "Everybody Digs Bill Evans" is my favorite of the earlier Bill Evans stuff...then 64's "The Town Hall Concert", and then fast forward to "You Must Believe in Spring"
    For me Phillie Joe makes this record really happen, plus the tune choices, all winners