Everybody else is doing it...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Benjamin Strange, Apr 29, 2003.

1. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I finally have a (new) bass to show off: my Steinberger XM2A with TransTrem! Ta-da! This is a momentous occasion as this is my first bass purchase since 1998. And now, on with the show!

2. Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    sweet aquisition man!

how is the trem? I've never played a bass with one, so I'd love to hear about them.
  3. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Getting a new bass is such a wonderful experience.. I've been through it 3 times int eh last year :D Not a big fan of teh headless basses, but the tremolo is definately cool. Let us know how it sounds.
  4. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Yep, I'm very curious to hear how the twang bar works out... I do realize it might take some practice time first.

I once saw Pat Travers live, and the bassist (who was not the great Mars Cowling, sadly) did some cool vibrato bar tricks.
  5. The next time Pat (Travers) visits home I'll see what I can find out about the bassplayer and his setup, Fuzzbass. Pat is a local lad, and we've jammed many times, as have others in the crew I play with currently. I liked John Mars Cowling too - a good player who joined up with Patty in London.

Ooops - not to hijack the thread... I've played Steinies before, but never with trem. Let us know how you like it!
  6. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Very nice! My XM2A is one of my faves, and those TTs are sweet. Enjoy!
  7. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    Can you use non-standard tuning (such as your preferred CGDA) with the Trans-Trem? While I'm not terribly knowledgable about them, it seems like all the math involved would go out the door if you didn't tune to a standard tuning (or if you used non-standard gauges, which, now that I think about it, probably don't exist, since people wouldn't make double-ball-end strings that are incompatible with TTs, would they?). Anyway, do you have to stick with fourths tuning?

Check out the headless (and kind of bodyless) I currently am GASsing for:

Westone Rail. Kind of like a moped. Or a fat chick. But I digress...
  8. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    So far the Trem works out great, regardless of my bizarre tuning (CGDA). The spring is very stable and it stays in tune better than alot of non-trem basses. I am very pleased.

The bass balances very well, due to no headstock. My last bass was a neck diver, so this is a Godsend. Overall it's a very bright sounding bass; very similar to a jazz bass, but brighter. There is no preamp, although the EMGs are active. I may put my Aguilar preamp in there, to see if I can round it out a bit. Otherwise it sounds pretty good.

I be one happy camper... so far.