Everybody go out and buy an essex bass now!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by superbassman2000, Jun 26, 2005.

1. hello everyone,
    well, i suggest everybody going out and buying from rondomusic.com, since kurt is one of the greatest customer service guys i have ever had the pleasure of dealing with.

i don't know if you guys remember, but a while ago i asked about schematics for my brice HXB-406, which i got used, which i believe he got used. anyways, i wrote to kurt, and he tried to help me, but since i don't think there is a standard color for the wires, kurt instead sent me the whole wiring harness! so i was pretty happy...then i get it, and it is a totally different wiring harness...whoops...anyways, i tell kurt, and he sends me another one!! this is all free-of-charge! kurt is a great guy, and will do anything to make sure you are happy. i suggest giving him as much business as you can!
    this post reminds about that one post a kid put up a while back suggesting that TB is only two or three people in reality, just to advertise for essex basses, but i really have to let everyone know of kurt's greatness!

2. Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Yea - this guy must work very hard to do what he's doing, and do it so well. I sent him an e-mail asking if I could exchange my jazz bass copy for a precision copy and he replied back in about 2 minutes saying "no problem". I have since decided to keep the jazz *and* I ordered the precision. This guy has his act together. Everybody says these are much better than MIM Fenders. I'm not sure these aren't better than American Fenders as well.

3. doc540

Jul 28, 2003
    Beaumont, Texas
    I totally agree. Kurt's service is as good as anyone in the industry!
  4. Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    :eyebrow: :eyebrow: :eyebrow: Seriously?

I'll have to give em a try then.
  5. I've been wanting a fretless Essex for a while now, this just makes me GAS for one even more. I'm guessing the fretless jazz is just as good as the fretted ones?
  6. doc540

Jul 28, 2003
    Beaumont, Texas
    Hope I don't get thumped on the head, but here in my just-posted eBay ad are all the most common mod's for the SX basses.

Although I've been a member here for a long time, I just subscribed a day or so ago, and I haven't been cleared to post my SX in the classified section yet.

Check the list of mod's if you're considering an SX:

Mod List
  7. Joey3313

Nov 28, 2003
    Hypothetically, would an Essex sound better than an Ibanez Ergodyne (EDB690)?

I've been gassing for a J style bass forever, and I think if I hear one more good recomendation for these basses, I'm going to have to sell mine and get an Essex (and of course, mod it to hell and back).
  8. KPJ

KPJ Supporting Member

Oct 2, 2001
    Methuen, MA USA
    Yes. Better than a Squire, at least as good if not better than a MIM. It's hard to justify buying a MIM instead of a SX, unless you are just completely hung up on the headstock.
  9. doc540

Jul 28, 2003
    Beaumont, Texas
    A stock Essex won't sound "better" than an Ergodyne which is an active preamp, passive pup bass.

It will sound a lot different without the mid and high clarity of the Ibanez. It won't be as much of a "hi-fi" tone but will sound "good" right out of the box.

As noted in my post above, I modded the crap out of mine and had a great time doing it. I swapped four different sets of pups in and out of it, but most important, got it to play like a dream.
  10. Time Divider

Time Divider Guest

Apr 7, 2005
    Why? You a major stockholder? ;)
  11. Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    Im currently about to order an essex fretless P ...but IMO I wouldnt go as far as saying their better than MIM and MIA fenders
    IMHO they dont even compare. but they are still a great entry level bass to start with or even to test out different styles of basses like Im just getting this Essex to see if I like fretless
  12. Skel

Jun 19, 2005
    Boulder, Colorado
    Well you are probably right about the Fenders being better - I know I have had *no* problems with my MIM precision. At the same time, I can't really find anything at all wrong the my SX jazz - I don't have the precision yet.

The Fender bass that *sounds* good (never tried it) is the Fender jazz with the S-1 switching. If you could get the precision low end out a of jazz - that would be a very nice bass.

13. ras1983

Dec 28, 2004
    Sydney, Australia
    Yes, but the fenders have a massive price hike over the SX's which makes them worse relative to the SX's price point and playability. ofcourse, if we're talking second hand, then i'd get a fender (or save up for a sadowsky ;) )
  14. Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    I agree
  15. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    I have been to the shop in Union NJ and bought 2 basses there. :cool: The whole staff is great. They are friendly and very helpful.
  16. lowphatbass

lowphatbass ****

Feb 25, 2005
    west coast
    I like fiddling just as much as the next guy but a "good" sounding bass must not have been what you were after if it took four sets of pups to get your bass playing "like a dream". I know for a fact these basses are a terrific value but if you don't mind my asking, how much did you have into it by the time you got it the way you wanted it??
    Most likely you are going to say that you were happy with the bass the entire time, you were having fun with it and wanted to see what level you could take your tone to, and I FULLY RESPECT that!! I just wanted to point out that for those with slightly higher expectations who lack the ability or desire to modify their "entry level" bass, saving a bit longer to get something a level or two higher may not be an unwise decision.
  17. Juniorkimbrough

Mar 22, 2005
    Mississippi / Memphis, TN
    Endorsing Artist: Lakland Basses
    These days now that great customer service is so rare, it really makes you appreciate these people that go out of their way to help you.

Fender's customer service could learn a thing or two from many other smaller companies with such good customer service.
  18. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I'm still broken up I didn't jump on one of their Thunderbirds while they had them.
  19. doc540

Jul 28, 2003
    Beaumont, Texas
    "I like fiddling just as much as the next guy but a "good" sounding bass must not have been what you were after if it took four sets of pups to get your bass playing "like a dream". I know for a fact these basses are a terrific value but if you don't mind my asking, how much did you have into it by the time you got it the way you wanted it??"

That's an excellent question.

I removed the orginal SX pups and replaced them with a set of active EMG's I snagged off ebay for around $80. Of course, the EMG's came with a pre-wired set of volume and tone pots. They had hot gain but were a little too bright and high-end for what I liked.

I sold them over on the Fender Forum for about $80-$90, so I was still even except for my "tinker labor".

That's two sets.

My next hair-brained idea was to make it a P/J pup setup, hoping for Jazz clarity and Precision punch. I snagged a set of Seymour Duncan Basslines P/J pups off ebay for, I forget, around $50-$60. With a Dremel tool, I routered out the hole for the Precision pups in about 30 minutes, but never got to actually installing them.

I called a friend of mine who runs a music store locally and asked him about a P/J pickguard. When he asked me what I was doing, I told him about the P/J pup idea. He said, "I got a set of original Fender Jazz pups I removed from my '68 Jazz. You can have 'em for fifty bucks". Fifty bucks!!
    I hot-footed it to his store and he installed them for me while I stood around and bullshlted with him.

Now I'm down the Duncan P/J set and $50.

Trip Wamsley, world class bassist and friend of mine, drives over to help me set up my new rig, and listens to the SX with the '68 pups. He says, "You really need a hotter signal. Get a set of Duncan Hot Jazz pups".

I ask my music store buddy if he wants his '68 pups back or if I sell them does he want some of the money. He says, "Naw, it's not that big'a deal. Go ahead and see what you can get for 'em".

I sell them on ebay for $320.00.

You do the math. All I know is after buying this latest set of Duncan Hot Jazz pups and installing them, I'm still ahead of the game.

The BassAssII cost me $20 used. The tone pots were around $10, the roller string tree less than ten bucks, I had some old Fender knobs, and the insulation and set up job cost around $40.

I've got somewhere between $300-$400 total in the SX, and it plays MUCH better and sounds at least as good, if not better, than a stock Fender Jbass costing $500-$1,000.

And there's no worry about dinging it or protecting it when you're working some Blues Brothers roadhouse.

Hope that answers your question. :)

Ain't It Purty??

"Playing like a dream was the easy part": a few frets dressed, truss road adjustment, string and pup height adjustments and it played great. All the other effort was just looking for different tones...a quest I'll probably be on until I can afford Trip's hand-me-downs! "