Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

"Everybody's got something to hide...

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Alvaro Martín Gómez A., Feb 7, 2001.

1. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

...except me and my monkey". Do you remember this song by The Beatles? Toward the end of the song, McCartney plays a one bar lick that i think is unbeatable in terms of power and groove. I'd like to emulate this, but playing the right notes is not enough. I know that the two main facts behind this are:

1. The pick attack (i hardly use a pick).
    2. PAUL McCARTNEY!! (in capital letters).

But any additional comments about playing this bassline are welcome.

:)

P.S.: Thank you for your kindness, Jason.

2. jimmysquid

jimmysquid

Jul 5, 2000
    A great line! From the White Album I think.

Will Lee listed this as one his favorite Top Ten Bass Lines of all time!

3. yea what i have heard of that mccartney guy he could play the bass pretty well, my favorite would probally be "i want you"

4. michael

michael

Mar 10, 2000
    Flatwounds on a hollow body Hofner bass with some sort of muting (right hand?) gets it closer. Or in McCartney's case, left.

[Edited by michael on 02-08-2001 at 07:17 PM]

5. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i think he played a zon.

:D just kidding, i've been hanging out over on alt.guitar.bass too much lately. :rolleyes:

6. yawnsie

yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    London
    You've been going to another forum, John? :eek: I don't know what to say...

7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

You too, huh?

8. I think McCartney's main bass for the White Album was a Rickenbacker. Your exactly right about the right hand muting and I think this is a great example of what you can do with a pick.

9. michael

michael

Mar 10, 2000
    I was reading the new Bass Player and they interview McCartneys' studio engineer. He says they never went direct, always miked the Vox amp from a few feet away. He would try to sneak in a little reverb but Paul usually caught it and nixed it. A few more details but I won't try to recall what they were. I read that over 11 hours ago!:rolleyes: