"Everybody's got something to hide...

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Alvaro Martín Gómez A., Feb 7, 2001.

1. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

...except me and my monkey". Do you remember this song by The Beatles? Toward the end of the song, McCartney plays a one bar lick that i think is unbeatable in terms of power and groove. I'd like to emulate this, but playing the right notes is not enough. I know that the two main facts behind this are:

1. The pick attack (i hardly use a pick).
    2. PAUL McCARTNEY!! (in capital letters).

But any additional comments about playing this bassline are welcome.

P.S.: Thank you for your kindness, Jason.
  2. jimmysquid

Jul 5, 2000
    A great line! From the White Album I think.

Will Lee listed this as one his favorite Top Ten Bass Lines of all time!
  3. yea what i have heard of that mccartney guy he could play the bass pretty well, my favorite would probally be "i want you"
  4. michael

Mar 10, 2000
    Flatwounds on a hollow body Hofner bass with some sort of muting (right hand?) gets it closer. Or in McCartney's case, left.

[Edited by michael on 02-08-2001 at 07:17 PM]
  5. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    i think he played a zon.

:D just kidding, i've been hanging out over on alt.guitar.bass too much lately. :rolleyes:
  6. yawnsie

Apr 11, 2000
    You've been going to another forum, John? :eek: I don't know what to say...
  7. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

You too, huh?

8. I think McCartney's main bass for the White Album was a Rickenbacker. Your exactly right about the right hand muting and I think this is a great example of what you can do with a pick.
  9. michael

Mar 10, 2000
    I was reading the new Bass Player and they interview McCartneys' studio engineer. He says they never went direct, always miked the Vox amp from a few feet away. He would try to sneak in a little reverb but Paul usually caught it and nixed it. A few more details but I won't try to recall what they were. I read that over 11 hours ago!:rolleyes: